JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most factory ammo is not taper crimped and it's going to do that. Yes it's a safety issue, do NOT shoot that round, it could have a serious spike in initial pressure and such rounds have been known to cause kabooms

I taper crimp all semi auto self defense handgun ammo, factory and handloads, as do many police departments these days. This retains bullet seating depth, feed reliability, and safety as well

Yes it is a pretty big safety issue, what you're looking at is called setback. This is why you're supposed to cycle your carry ammo through your magazine instead of rechambering the same round every time you load/unload. It usually isn't typically that drastic after only a few chambers, but it is something that "normally" happens.

I've set the round aside after I noticed it and it won't be fired. So yes carry ammo should be cycled, but I didn't think it would be a problem after half a dozen cycles of the same round. That's a waste of a perfectly good dollar!

I've set the round aside after I noticed it and it won't be fired. So yes carry ammo should be cycled, but I didn't think it would be a problem after half a dozen cycles of the same round. That's a waste of a perfectly good dollar!

It's a cost cutting measure by ammo companies. All you need to taper crimp is an inexpensive single stage press and a taper die in your caliber

If you buy a cheap bullet puller you can 100% salvage such loads

Kinetic bullet puller (by "Quinetics"). Looks like a hammer with a clear plastic head. Insert the round, smack a few times, watching the bullet travel forward, and when it reaches proper seating depth, chamber and shoot the little devil.

Reply I got from Hornady

Hornady said:
Once the bullet pushes into the case it should be discarded as excessive pressures could arise. It is caused from multiple chambering. Once a round is chambered and removed, it should be separated from the rest and shot as a target round. Multiple chambering will cause the bullets to be pushed back in some instances as the feed ramp making contact with the bullet during the loading process causes this. Thanks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top