Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is there a safety issue here?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Tactical SS, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

As you can see the bullet on the right has receded into the casing. That particular round was simply sitting in my chamber and had been chamber/unchambered maybe 6 times. It's a Hornady JHP. I've contacted Hornady and I am waiting to hear from them.

photo-3.jpg

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Most factory ammo is not taper crimped and it's going to do that. Yes it's a safety issue, do NOT shoot that round, it could have a serious spike in initial pressure and such rounds have been known to cause kabooms

I taper crimp all semi auto self defense handgun ammo, factory and handloads, as do many police departments these days. This retains bullet seating depth, feed reliability, and safety as well

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Yes it is a pretty big safety issue, what you're looking at is called setback. This is why you're supposed to cycle your carry ammo through your magazine instead of rechambering the same round every time you load/unload. It usually isn't typically that drastic after only a few chambers, but it is something that "normally" happens.

4. Tactical SS

I've set the round aside after I noticed it and it won't be fired. So yes carry ammo should be cycled, but I didn't think it would be a problem after half a dozen cycles of the same round. That's a waste of a perfectly good dollar!

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It's a cost cutting measure by ammo companies. All you need to taper crimp is an inexpensive single stage press and a taper die in your caliber

If you buy a cheap bullet puller you can 100% salvage such loads

6. Tactical SS

Thanks, I just have the one, but it sounds like something that could come in handy.

7. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Kinetic bullet puller (by "Quinetics"). Looks like a hammer with a clear plastic head. Insert the round, smack a few times, watching the bullet travel forward, and when it reaches proper seating depth, chamber and shoot the little devil.

8. Tactical SS

Reply I got from Hornady

9. Tactical SS

What is the best way to dispose of this type of round in a safe way? Assuming I don't go the bullet puller route.

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

That's why they make snakeholes