JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a old Remington 721 in .270 that is just an old beater bolt gun that has a Weaver KV variable scope on it.

Its not perfect, It has some very slight rust spots but its quite functional and I assume would clean up nice. Pretty sure the rings its in came with it as a package.

I would like to put something a little more modern on it. Is there any demand for these guys? Is there any value in just keeping the package together?

If you free float the barrel and glass bed the action, plus swap out the original trigger for a model 700 one, then you can think about better optics.
They are great rifles if you solve some of their inherent deficiencies.

Its at best a $200 rifle, I have no intention of spending a bunch of dough on it. By more modern optics I meant something like a 3 x 9 tasco.

I am just wondering if the old KV scope is something someone might want or if it gets tossed in a drawer.

There are only four that come up if you search "Weaver KV" on there and they are $199, $225 and $299 and one that is an auction that is at $37 with several days to go

I looked at that before I asked the question, It seem to provide no real information at all.

There are only four that come up if you search "Weaver KV" on there and they are $199, $225 and $299 and one that is an auction that is at $37 with several days to go

I looked at that before I asked the question, It seem to provide no real information at all.

Search ebay for "weaver kv" and when it comes up look through the boxes on the left side of the screen for "Show Only" and check the box for sold listings. There are a bunch and they vary from 15-70+ dollars.

I have one on a beautiful Winchester Mod 70 and recently wondered about the scopes value. Found a nice one on gunbroker for about $80.

Weaver no longer repairs the old models, if they are broken you have to mail it to another outfit. The new outfit repairs them but is 18 months behind. Cost is more than what scope is valued at.o_O

1) If the scope is in comparable shape to the gun, it actually compliments it, as being closer to what might have been installed on the gun "back in the day". A modern scope would look out of place. I would "fog-test" that scope, and then not consider replacing it on that gun unless it failed.

2) There is a growing number of Remington 700 persons who are finally realizing that the 721's and 722's just might be more desirable, often better-made guns. I would be one to politely challenge any assertion that these guns had anything that might be assigned the rather harsh term, "inherent deficiencies". The trigger is easily adjusted to perfection, and Frank deHaas' few complaints about this gun always were followed by phrases like, "I've never seen one fail", or (in the case of the trigger), "I can remember repairing only one." From Mister Bolt-Action himself, these are far cries from "inherent deficiencies."

3) Radical modifications to this gun (such as glass-bedding, free-floating an trigger replacement) would not be undertaken by myself on this firearm excepting two conditions: a): the gun is a true "beater" (meaning basically the barreled action or action itself are all that's worth saving), and b): certainly no such modification would even be considered without targeting the gun first with a quality factory or handload, and a properly cleaned and conditioned bore. Every 721 or 722 I have ever shot, did so extremely well, with no assistance from any un-indicated corrective actions toward what might be imagined by some as a "deficiency".

Here's a couple from the stable: (both are 722's: the "short action").

On top is a .257 Roberts, sporting a ....wait for it....wait for it.... a vintage Weaver variable in the original Weaver base and rings "of the period".

Beneath is it's brother, this one in .300 Savage, sporting a Redfield peep.

Both these guns shoot extremely well: the Roberts will continually throw 100g Ballistic Tips into groups that AVERAGE 1.25". With 75g Sierra hollowpoints, things get very scary and very boring. The .300 will deliver a 150g ballistic tip in predictably comparable fashion. (I happen to be among those who have learned that a good peep sight can deliver accuracy AT LEAST as fine as any optic, as long as the target can be seen.)

You will also note that when you got your brand new 722, even in a caliber such as .300 Savage, you got a 24" deeply lustrous blued barrel: Undoubtedly another of those "inherent deficiencies" from which these poor guns suffer.

PC070803_zpsacdfde9e.jpg

I found my 722 Remington .257 Roberts on Craigslist of all places for only $85.00.
The butt -stock was hacked off about 4" and replaced with 4" of a different section of gun stock.
It looked like a real drunk Billy Bob had done the work because even the two lag bolts holding the two pieces together were different diameters.
That being said, the gun had potential and I found a new "old stock" from Remington on eBay for only $90.00.
I replaced the trigger with a model 700 and added the Leupold scope.
It's been glass bedded and free floated.
It's a dream to shoot and by far the most accurate rifle I own.
Not the best pic.
Notice the trigger placement. The 700 triggers are further back then 722 models.
It does give a gloved finger more room though. 257 roberts 002.JPG

I bought a mint KV 2.5-5 on Ebay 7-8 yrs ago for $60. The seller said they normally go for more so evidently I got lucky. Its on a Win mod 88 and the scope is definitely nicer than the trigger. ;) It fits the rifle though.
Funny thing was when the bid was final I discovered the seller was in Dallas less than 10 miles away. Small world...

Jbett: You came out graciously with a fine damned example of what you were talking about in personal experience.

You did all proper to get that (WON'T CALL IT A 'BOB') Roberts up and runnin' like she should. We share a secret no one that doesn't have one can ever know.

Good on ya!

My other good find was a J.C. Higgins model 51 (30/06) as new in the original box for only $325.00
I ran an ad looking for one after reading an article by Chuck Hawks.
Here's a little excerpt describing it;

"The very accurate and hard to find J.C. Higgins Model 50. This was the creation of the Sears and Roebuck Co. in the early 1950s. Although not manufactured by Sears, the Model 50 was originally produced by Belgium's Fabrique Nationale using a commercial 98 Mauser action and 22 inch chrome lined barrel from High Standard. In addition to its inherent accuracy, the Models 50 and 51 came with chrome lined barrels, thus adding to the useful service life of these rifles. Weight is 8 1/2 pounds bare and unloaded. Overall length is 43 inches, it has a healthy 13 3/4 length of pull, and the original model 50 was supplied with a no frills walnut stock without checkering. Sling swivel studs and a polymer butt plate were standard. The bolts used on these FN Belgium made actions are of the highest quality and durability."

Slightly OT, since my choice of rifles tends towards the pre-war [2 AND 1] but I get all my scopes, particularly the old El Paso-made K4 Weavers, at a place between Garibaldi and Rockaway Beach. I never paid more than thirty bucks, either, but then I'm easy made happy.

tac

I just got at Cabelas Springfield a 1941 Model 70 30-06. It is real nice and has a Weaver KV scope. I cleaned the scope up and found the scope clear and fully functioning. The rifle too is really good except the rear ring is bubba tapped. I think I can clean that up. Rifle is dirty, and luckily very free of wear and rust. The stock is complete, except it is nicely cut for a peep base.

The scope has the original solid Weaver rings.
Question: Did the KV scopes come with the rings already installed? The front ring will not come off without destroying the ring.
If I ever used the scope I would put it into Leupold Adjusto mounts. (I think that is the right name) But not on this 1941 gun. It will become a peep only gun with a 48 WJS.

Question: Did the KV scopes come with the rings already installed? The front ring will not come off without destroying the ring.

It looks like the Weaver KV model scope was made from 1950-1964.

It appears that some earlier Weaver scopes came with mounts already attached...( 1940's era )
Most of the Weaver scope mounts and rings that I have in my books...show screws of some sort to remove the mounts , rings or scope...Maybe the mount and rings weren't a Weaver product...?
Can you post a picture...that may help out here...?
Andy

It looks like the Weaver KV model scope was made from 1950-1964.

It appears that some earlier Weaver scopes came with mounts already attached...( 1940's era )
Most of the Weaver scope mounts and rings that I have in my books...show screws of some sort to remove the mounts , rings or scope...Maybe the mount and rings weren't a Weaver product...?
Can you post a picture...that may help out here...?
Andy
Andy could you tell me what two screw mount is used on a marlin 81 - 22. As a kid I remember the mount and I still have the rifle. The mount through time has moved on to some unknown location

I have a couple of 50's Weaver scopes that have matching rings - they don't look as though they have ever been off, either. One is 3/4" J4, the other is a x4 Marksman. Both are exactly like new - externally and internally.

This K4 is on a dedicated Swiss Products clamp-on mount for my K31 -
upload_2019-5-5_17-8-29.png

This 3-9 is on another Swiss products clamp-on mount for my K31 -

upload_2019-5-5_17-9-18.png
As previously noted, I buy all my Weaver scopes from junk stores - the scope above cost me $40 last year. Mounts included, oddly - as they are 11mm rimfire mounts. Makes me wonder what the previous owner had it on......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top