JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brand new (made in china) MTM scale I used 2 times went berserk and since its over 30 days Amazon won't refund.
I'm a beginning reloader and don't have a lot to burn on equiptment. Is there a decent scale( digital or beam) for under $50 I can depend on?
I can't tell you how many made in china stuff has fallen apart for me lately and it seem to be getting worse.

I thought I'd add I'm thinking about bidding on an Ebay- Redding model 1 Hydraulic damped scale

Frankford Arsenal has a digital scale that is a good scale for the money. On Sale at Midway for only $20.Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity - MidwayUSA

I see quite a few of these at the range among the Bench Rest Shooters.

If you want to spend more, Midway also has a Hornady for $30. Myself, if I need an inexpensive scale I'd just get the FA scale and have some test weights on hand.

Regardless of how much you pay for a scale of any type you should have a set of these on hand Scale Check Weights

For less than $30 they tell you instantly if your scale is lying to you.

This check weight set allows you to make just about any combination up to 65 grains. I check my scale with weights that most closely match my desired load. For example, if I want 25.5 grains of a given powder, I put a 20 gr, a 5g, and a .5gr weight on the scale. It better read 25.5 or recalibrate. It's not as important that your beam or digital scale "Zero" as it is to read the correct value for the load your working with.

If you were to buy the FA Digital Scale and the check weight set you'd be right at your $50 budget. Both are real light and would fit in a USPS Flat rate small box so shipping would be less than the cost of gas to drive to a local store to shop for them.

The 5-0-5 is a beam scale and prone to all the complaints the OP has stated he's having with his.

I don't think MTM makes a beam scale and the vague description of problems doesn't really sound like a beam scale issue. I've used both and my preference is for a beam scale. Gravity doesn't need batteries and once you get used to setting it up and using it correctly, it is quicker (for me) than a digital.

elsie

I broke the beam in my 5-0-5 a couple of years ago so I emailed Ohaus and they gave me an RGA to send it back. They replaced and fit the beam properly, checked for accuracy and sent it back - and this scale is over 30 years old. How is that for customer service?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top