1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is the TAX STAMP for a AR pistol for the SBR, or the Buttstock, or both?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by paulvucom, Dec 3, 2013.

  1. paulvucom

    paulvucom Portland, OR New Member

    Likes Received:
    A friend and I were looking to build a Pistol AR and got in the discussion on what is taxed. Then we got each other confused. Can someone clarify??

  2. chase

    chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    You are talking about a form 1 to build a sbr from a pistol. Once you engrave the lower reciever and get your stamp then you can put a butstock on it. Sbr is shorter then a 16". The lower reciever is taxed with the $200 stamp. Then you can make it whatever size you want with or without a buttstock. Just make sure you can put it back to original configuartion that your form 1 says for caliber and length. Any other questions?
  3. Ben Beckerich

    Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    You build a pistol on a previously un-built lower receiver and submit your ATF tax form 1 to register the lower receiver as an SBR. Then, like 6-8 months later, you get permission to put the stock on. Oversimplificated version, that is.
  4. Darknight

    Darknight Salem Active Member

    Likes Received:
    To answer your question, an AR-15 pistol deos not need a tax stamp. When and if you build an AR-15 pistol, you will use a receiver extension (buffer tube) made for an Ar-15 pistol. Unlike a milspec or commercial buffer tube for an AR-15, the pistol buffer tubes will not accept a stock. If you decide at some point that you want to add a stock, then you can get a tax stamp for an (SBR) short barrel rifle and change out the buffer tube for either a commercial or milspec.

    I have shot an AR-15 pistol in .223 ans .22lr. I did not like the .223, however the .22lr with a silencer was a blast.
  5. TwinStick

    TwinStick In the wind Active Member

    Likes Received:
    I tend to agree that the AR pistols just aren't for me.

    You don't need a stamp for an AR pistol unless you change it to an SBR or if you want a suppressor as stated above.

    Have fun!