JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the SHTF rifle(s) a serious concern, simply an intellectual exercise, or something else?

• Yes, it is the number one concern when preparing.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • It is a major concern, but only one of many.

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Yah, this one should require some thought, time, and money invested, but don't go nuts.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • It is of minimal value in preparations, but can't hurt. Better to have it ... sort of thing.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • No, it is a waste of time and energy.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Having rifles is a good idea, but the SHTF rifle concept is simply a mental exercise.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • (burp!) Duh Lizard Aliens Я among us. Defend ur domestic beer 'n Har-Pernts! Reptilians! (shart!)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I've been living in a wallspace ...

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I voted important, but don't go nuts.

I was concerned about ammunition availability, reliability, parts availability, and redundancy. That got me to 5.56 ARs, 7.62x39 AKs, 9mm Glocks, 12 gauge 870s, and a variety of .22s. But I've tried to keep my whole collection restricted to commonly available calibers, and I've tried to stock an "adequate" supply of ammo for each piece.

Definitely want to give a shout out to the .22. I'm in an urban / suburban kind of environment. In difficult circumstances, I figure most of the critters I could poach around here would be best shot with a .22 as opposed to something bigger.
22s are also relatively quiet so they wouldn't attract a lot of attention in an urban environment.

I think everyone has their own SHTF scenario they prep for. Some of my friends/coworkers prep for a possible situation where the US gets invaded, some for a breakdown of society, and others prep for the chance they need to run away and survive in the wild.

I think one good/favorite rifle is a must.

I am still debating with myself if that rifle is my AR15 or AR10.

I think everyone has their own SHTF scenario they prep for. Some of my friends/coworkers prep for a possible situation where the US gets invaded, some for a breakdown of society, and others prep for the chance they need to run away and survive in the wild.

I think one good/favorite rifle is a must.

I am still debating with myself if that rifle is my AR15 or AR10.
If I gotta bail likely an AR15. If they bring it to my house it's my AR308.

I think much like every day having a reliable carry gun is 80% of the situations you would face. I think running gun battles in shtf is a myth. Its much more important to not attract attention and a conceal carry piece allows it

I think much like every day having a reliable carry gun is 80% of the situations you would face. I think running gun battles in shtf is a myth. Its much more important to not attract attention and a conceal carry piece allows it
Agreed. I live in the city, and a good pistol and/or shotgun is way more useful to me than a long gun for home defense. Now a SBR could be useful for CQC but that comes with too many strings.

Now if I am still alive when the deer start walking through the reclaimed and barren streets, then I think a rifle would be useful.

Generally, by definition, SHTF can be anything from losing your job & healthcare insurance then learning you have cancer and need treatment that will cost $1M, to TEOTWAWKI and anything in between. I.E., you really don't know what is going to happen.

Now granted, many preppers spend way too much time, money & effort on the guns/ammo aspect. But since this thread is about rifles, I will address rifles (even though I have already posted here).

To me, a handgun is for close quarters last ditch self-defense. As some say, a sidearm is for fighting until you can get to your rifle. Living in the boonies, that is even more true for me.

I do not anticipate being able to do much with a handgun against an attacker firing at me with a rifle from more than 50 yards away - other than maybe trying to keep their heads down occasionally. Nor do I think a shotgun will help much in that circumstance. That is what a rifle is for - and as long as I can wield that rifle, where I live, a rifle would be preferable to a handgun.

As for not anticipating that this circumstance is likely - well, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. If you think that a SHTF scenario is possible where you need to use a firearm, then it is possible that you need to use a rifle. Same goes for body armor IMO; if you are going to be shooting at someone, then it is likely they will be shooting at you, and body armor would be a wise prep, and less expensive than what most preppers spend on guns & ammo (but not many seem to buy armor).

So yeah - I would give some serious thought/concern/effort/time/$ to a rifle (and armor) - at least as much or more as I would give to a handgun or shotgun. As this is a gun forum, and people discuss the best guns for bears, deer, elk, target shooting, etc. - I don't think it a waste of time to think about rifles for SHTF.

Agreed. I live in the city, and a good pistol and/or shotgun is way more useful to me than a long gun for home defense. Now a SBR could be useful for CQC but that comes with too many strings.

Now if I am still alive when the deer start walking through the reclaimed and barren streets, then I think a rifle would be useful.
Go with the AR, or any platform that allows an easy barrel change. You can own a barrel or upper w/barrel that is SBR length, it's not illegal until it's put together. During SHTF the NFA along with other laws will be meaningless.

Be aware that once rule of law is established you can be held accountable. IMO a NFA violation won't even raise an eyebrow. Killing people who didn't need to be killed, however, will.

You can own a barrel or upper w/barrel that is SBR length, it's not illegal until it's put together.
Uhhhh - no

This is constructive possession

It would be okay if the AR was a pistol lower, then the short barrel plus the lower, sans stock, would be legal as it would not be a SBR.

But if the lower is a rifle, started out as a rifle (not a pistol or "other"), then an upper with a barrel less than 16" long (or even just the barrel) would make it an SBR, even if it isn't installed on the rifle (unless you also had a pistol lower on which to install the short barrel).

Outside of localized natural disasters and big city riots the idealized zombie apocalypse SHTF hasn't happened in the US because we are geographically too big for one end to affect the other, the country due to state's rights has more or less been on autopilot since Kennedy and most important, we don't really want to shoot each other.

I firmly believe based on the floods in Vernonia and the fires in Salem, people are on their own for some time before tax paid relief sets in. Even those were civil compared to man made disasters like Portland, Seattle and other big cities where people were murdered.

Outside of localized natural disasters and big city riots the idealized zombie apocalypse SHTF hasn't happened in the US because we are geographically too big for one end to affect the other, the country due to state's rights has more or less been on autopilot since Kennedy and most important, we don't really want to shoot each other.

I firmly believe based on the floods in Vernonia and the fires in Salem, people are on their own for some time before tax paid relief sets in. Even those were civil compared to man made disasters like Portland, Seattle and other big cities where people were murdered.
Give it time.

I know I have said it before, but the issue of carrying capacity will eventually have those of us who are more or less self-sufficient (shelter, food, water, energy), having to defend what we have. I may not be around for the climax die off, but my kids may be.

Possibly before that, there is always the possibility of the Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake putting most of the west coast into a state of chaos and turmoil for months on end, such that it makes the periodic fires and floods look like a picnic. It won't be something that can be resolved in a week or two, and it won't be a city or three, it will be everything west of the Cascades from BC down to northern California, and thousands would die overnight from the tsunamis, with thousands more dying from collapsed structures, and yet more dying because they don't have electricity to power their medical devices and they can't get meds and healthcare.

Stuff happens and I don't want to be caught shorthanded when people seek refuge from the cities.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top