JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have read many reviews on it and they were all acceptable. The one thing that most agreed on is that the stock is a bit cheap. I was going to buy one the other day but when I got to the store the Trophy Hunter version of the rifle was on sale so it was only about 60 dollars more that the Axis II so I bought it. Quite a nice gun for what I want.

Get your son a .270 or .308 win and you wont have to worry about recoil and still have a very versatile rifle. Savage has really kicked the game up several notches, and I would say the Axis is a good inexpensive way to get a start. For the Money, I would step up a little and get the Savage 111 series and get it in the .270 or .308. I like the action of the 110/111 series much better, its very smooth feeding, and very accurate, and had a much better feel to the stock then the Axis IMHO.

I'd go with the Creedmoor if you are a reloader. You can get deer 6.5 bullets down to something like 100 gr. Maybe there are some reduced factory loads in .308 available.

I understand the Axis II has the accutrigger. This removes the most important problem I have with my Axis, which is a crappy heavy trigger. But it's probably never going to be anything but a basic rifle, not something that inspires pride of ownership (maybe I'm too jaded though, a kid may think differently).

The Ruger American series is worth looking at too. Direct competitor of the Axis.

Of course you can upgrade the stock on either of these guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top