JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well bad news. One of the largest and last domestic lead smelters in the US is going to be shutting down due to new Obama admin EPA regs.

Last Remaining Lead Smelter In The USA Closing After 120 Years - The Firearm Blog

Tests conducted last year of 372 properties within a mile of the Herculaneum lead smelter found 129 properties contained lead at levels beyond the EPA's allowable limit of 400 parts per million. Of those, 104 properties had already undergone EPA-ordered soil remediation in the last nine years.

Well bad news. One of the largest and last domestic lead smelters in the US is going to be shutting down due to new Obama admin EPA regs.

Last Remaining Lead Smelter In The USA Closing After 120 Years - The Firearm Blog

"The EPA's new clean air rules would require a $100 million dollar investment in new equipment. As such, the Doe Run Company has decided to close the site."
It sure sounds to me that Owebamma & his minnions are in fact causing this to happen in an indirect way.

Yep, we will attack their ammo supply so they have nothing to shoot with!!! Sounds like a duck to me!!!

There are lead smelters and suppliers in about 20 other countries including Canada and Mexico.
Its used in far too many products to lose it. Batteries and nuclear shielding are only a couple of major uses.

And IIRC, there is a forum vendor, on "cast bullits" that is a supplier to business' & private (non company) users of his lead, for casting those round things we keep stored in Brass...

Besides the concept, as shown in the movie, "Patriot", real gun users know how to melt for them selves...

Caution: never, ever, ever, use Dead Lead Batteries, as a source of lead for casting bullets. The ability to reclaim the Purity of lead, after it has been subjected the electrical interaction with the sulfuric acid in stated battery.

The need for a super flue, capable of scrubbing the effluents is VITAL.

Other than that, I routinely dug out my lead, from where I used to shoot, on the Coast... And have much left...

We shooters need to be studying the Chemistry... Of shooting.... From primers to GP. Whether Black Powder, Smokeless, or even "white powder"... Knowing the chemistry is just plain good knowledge...

And IIRC, there is a forum vendor, on "cast bullits" that is a supplier to business' & private (non company) users of his lead, for casting those round things we keep stored in Brass...

Besides the concept, as shown in the movie, "Patriot", real gun users know how to melt for them selves...

Caution: never, ever, ever, use Dead Lead Batteries, as a source of lead for casting bullets. The ability to reclaim the Purity of lead, after it has been subjected the electrical interaction with the sulfuric acid in stated battery.

The need for a super flue, capable of scrubbing the effluents is VITAL.

Other than that, I routinely dug out my lead, from where I used to shoot, on the Coast... And have much left...

We shooters need to be studying the Chemistry... Of shooting.... From primers to GP. Whether Black Powder, Smokeless, or even "white powder"... Knowing the chemistry is just plain good knowledge...

I used to use plumbers lead for mine. The 5# bars were pretty cheap then.
For harder bullets, I added wheel weights to it. Never used cast bullets in anything but 38 and 44 spcl. I swaged jacketed bullets for the 357 and 44 mag.

So for those of us who are interested in getting into casting boolits, but never got the setup for it, what are our options now for lead?

You don't specify ~where~ you are located, save within Oregon.... But here is the how to's

1. Any scrap metal dealer will Sell as well as Buy (in this case lead...) and those I have been to even sort into alloys there of... In Eugene, where I go, you can request "tire weights" which are perfect to shoot up to about 1200/FPS (can also buy Linocast lead alloy at times)

2. You can "connect" with the smaller tire shops, a Six Pack (12, or 24) in your hand is Helpful... Last time I just bought from them outright... 75# which MUST BE examined for:
a. Zinc weights
b. Pure lead weights

The former are thrown away.... The later... Saved and cherished for Black Powder use, or trade TO Black Powder shooters...

The latter are very easy to ID: they have a double stick tape to adhere to the rim & are Square, approx One inch and about 3/32" thick...

Zinc harder to spot, and I am honestly am so tired right now, that I am closing down my post...

Other folks: Zinc ID ?????

philip,
Nap time in the Boondocks, that was a Great Lunch!!!!

Sure can tell by lots of the responses that they didn't read the article which does a very good job of dispelling the notion that the ammo issues are due directly to current administration policies. Truth is Obama's record on guns caused a lot of folks to react in such a way as to create the very problem we are complaining about. The responsibility for the ammo shortages lie within the ammo manufacturers and consumers rather than anything Obama has done policy wise.

This is an article on Doe Run - which is not a blog

Lead smelter in Herculaneum set to close in 2013 : News

And one post on a blog-like (political) comic strip
<broken link removed>

This is what got me to look for a news source. Lots of Bloggers on the top of the searches.

I believe that lead is a source of problems for humans. If you look at possible causes for the decline in violence (not just gun violence) rates, the decline appears to have started in the late 70s - early 80s. We removed lead as an additive to gasoline in 73 - that would have started to have an impact - mostly in urban areas. There are other feasible causes, such as a reduction in the number of males 18-27 years old, the prime age for violence. The interaction of factors such as the reclamation of NYC - the core Time Square - was worse than a 3rd world country in the late 60's. Due to "broken window" theory, much of that prime area was cleaned. The rest of the 5 boroughs is still a pig sty.

I for one would like to see an alternative to lead bullets. I don't know of any good solutions today - but that isn't to say one of you won't invent one. 100% copper - too expensive and there are other critical needs for Cu. Steel? Concern on transfer of energy. Ceramic? seems possible but no solutions today.

Anyway, I just hope that this one plants closure will not too impact the supply of ammo.

Fine. Suggest that we all move to steel-core ammo, then see how quickly a stink erupts with the gun-grabbers because steel-core ammo is "cop killer" and "armor piercing."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top