JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recall in the past when you could still pick up a stamped DIAS at a relatively decent price, a class 3 dealer used to say.... "if you didn't put it in a Colt receiver it was a waste of time". Now you can't even find a drop-in for less than the price of a car.
Was that a judgment of the quality of all non-Colt receivers of the day or a way to rationalize you spending more than you really needed to ?
Elitist ? Maybe a tad I think.

I've never once heard anyone tell someone that who wants to protect his family and property not to buy a gun unless it's made by this company or that company, and when you do, you must get a 450,00 red dot optic on top of it.

But then I would never in a million years recommend to someone with a family who has obviously never owned a high-powered rifle before to get an AR in the first place.

Last Edited:
well this is an interesting thread. I liked the OPs opinion until I got to the first red dot optic choice at $400 new and stopped reading there.

you can buy a great UTG red dot for like $50 bucks, new. Works great.

Is some of it due to Army and USMC using particular brands? And for some players nothing else will do? In that case, the manufacturer was already charging the military way too much, knowing that name-brand recognition (and the prices people are willing to pay for that kind of familiar comfort/tacit endorsement) will carry through to the street.

Another possible factor is that many red dots might deliver similar accuracy but some are tougher than others and able withstand a great deal more abuse in the field. Or, put another way, when a $89 optic fails (as all things might at some point) it's easy for the guy who invested $750 to snort and say "well, you get what you pay for."

And there's ease of use, and what you're accustomed to. Compared to what we "grew up with," some gadgets are simply a pain in the butt to adjust and operate. I personally HATE dust covers and coin slots when all I want to do is bump windage or el a couple clicks.

Just some things that might tip the scale a bit when weighing all the options.

Last Edited:
well this is an interesting thread. I liked the OPs opinion until I got to the first red dot optic choice at $400 new and stopped reading there.

Never used them because they are actually an air soft accessory manufacture. But I have never used them so I don't know.

I've never once heard anyone tell someone that who wants to protect his family and property not to buy a gun unless it's made by this company or that company, and when you do, you must get a 450,00 red dot optic on top of it.

But then I would never in a million years recommend to someone with a family who has obviously never owned a high-powered rifle before to get an AR in the first place.
You should read the thousands of social media post about guns and gear. Want to see gear shaming, you should read up on the NSR tactical Facebook page.

Never used them because they are actually an air soft accessory manufacture. But I have never used them so I don't know.

Id bet a lot of airsoft shooters use them because they are so cheap but no they are not an airsoft manufacturer their optics are made for firearms. I'm not a huge fan of red dots so a UTG was a great way to try one out to get a feel for them. Still don't prefer them but I can see their appeal and where they would excel. For a basic red dot for someone who cant afford the $750+ "buy once, cry once" advice they work fine for someone who isn't probably going to afford the training advice either.

Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

Last Edited:
I appreciate your review of different optics. Thank you.
Elite? I don't care what anyone says, that's a classification you earn.
Stop worrying about the opinions of others. Think for yourself. You seem a bit attached to the ridicule you received for wearing Cugas. Let it go.
If you had let it go, you wouldn't mention your AR manufacturer.
I'm not elite, period. However, using BUIS, I hit my 12x12 target every time at 150 yards, which is good enough for me. Trigger time will reduce that even more.
Red dots are useless appendages when your battery dies, and I've had that happen more than once.

You should read the thousands of social media post about guns and gear. Want to see gear shaming, you should read up on the NSR tactical Facebook page.

I can't imagine why I would go to a place sponsored by a maker of plastic holsters to read about military optics. But back on topic: $450 is really at the low end of the scale when it comes to rifle sights.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK - Z8i Rifle Scope

Doesn't make a difference to me if it cost $50 or $1500. When I miss I'm still blaming it.

THIS^^^^Is the proper attitude! :D

I have the Vortex Strikefire 2 and I like it a lot red/green, 7,000hr battery life, very easy to adjust and use, but it's heavy! I hate the weight! It's my only dot scope.
The Army taught me quick kill, so I don't need sights at all. That's why irons have always been satisfactory to me.

Just say no to optics shaming.

Well at least within reason .....

depositphotos_5821482-Funny-nerd.jpg

I appreciate your review of different optics. Thank you.
Elite? I don't care what anyone says, that's a classification you earn.
Stop worrying about the opinions of others. Think for yourself. You seem a bit attached to the ridicule you received for wearing Cugas. Let it go.
If you had let it go, you wouldn't mention your AR manufacturer.
I'm not elite, period. However, using BUIS, I hit my 12x12 target every time at 150 yards, which is good enough for me. Trigger time will reduce that even more.
Red dots are useless appendages when your battery dies, and I've had that happen more than once.
I don't worry about opinions, I was the one making fun of people back then....I just hate how this new culture treats people

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top