Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

is the MEC 600 jr shotshell reloading press a good set up for 1st time reloader?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Saigashooter, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Saigashooter

Saigashooter Or coast Member

I was thinking of buying one. Is the MEC 600 jr shotshell reloading press a good set up for 1st time reloader? any one have one do you like it? pros/cons thank you for your time and info

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I have two Mec reloaders. I have a Grabber that is set up for 12 ga which is what I shoot mostly, but I also have a 600 Jr set up for 20 ga. The Mec 600 Jr is a great press to learn shotshell reloading on. Single stage. Makes you think about every operation. If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of the latest Lyman Shotshell reloading book. It is the BIBLE for shotshell reloading.

3. crabman21

crabman21 Wilsonville,Ore Member

Excellent reloader I had one for 20 yrs and it still going strong. parts are cheap to replace if needed and I can load about 8 boxes a hr.:thumbup:

4. moparmike440

moparmike440 SW WA Member

It's a very good loader I like mine lot I use it every week 150 shells :thumbup:

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

I have read reviews saying it does not resize the base of the hull,is this correct,anyone...anyone?
    All reviews I"ve read were positive,a good press for low volume loaders,meaning a few boxes a week instead of dozens of boxes a week like didicated trap shooters do.

the savings on shotshells is very small compared to metalic reloading,btw.

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Their current manual says it resizes the base of the shell. I'm pretty sure my 20+ year old press does as well.

As far as savings for reloading, It used to save quite of bit of money until lead prices went thru the roof. The big advantage is being able to create your own loads for your own kind of shooting.

7. codeman583

codeman583 Central OR Member

i have 2 mec 600 jr. if your interested let me know. extra charge bars and bushings...

8. Saigashooter

Saigashooter Or coast Member

I got I thank you for your time. were do you buy different accessories for them ? does any body have a extra shotgun reloading book I could buy from them ? whats the best book for starting out ?

9. codeman583

codeman583 Central OR Member

bimart had charge bars, bushings, wad guides, and a few other things.

nice shotty books too.