JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0509.JPG
I just picked up a new M1A standard with a beautiful wood stock for $1200 out the door. It looks like they are selling more plastic stock models so they are able to buy some very nice walnut stocks. I do have a M1A Super Match with a McMillan glass stock in Marine Corps camo. However the McMillan glass stock is big, heavy & stiff for match shooting.
Seems guys are willing to throw down $2.5k+ on a LMT .308 and other AR type rifles. Is the market for M14 type rifles dying? Springfield is now even making an AR type rifle now.
Thoughts?

Last Edited:
I don't know, I bought an M1A loaded last year, and was darned excited to get it too. With AR's, even in .308 running hundreds of dollars less, cost may be a factor. And for those that want a more tacticool look, the AR lets them put on all their plastic pieces and doodads. I like the classic look of the M1A, especially with the wood stock - hard to beat.

Last Edited:
I think the M-1A isn't going any where! Some day, new shooters will discover the goodness of the M-1 series and they might wanna get one. I think all the new versions Springfield are putting out shows that there is an M-1 for just about any one, and thanks to places like NWFA that have many members to share and pass along good honest info, I see the M-1 series holding it's own. Personally, I choose to own a few because I recognize just how good a rifle they are, and how well they fit my needs. Even though I espouse all the greatness of the FN/FAL, in all honesty, I still keep and actively choot my M-1 and M-1A rifles, and would have zero problems using one for any need, and I would bet my life on one!

Last Edited:
As price goes up demand goes down. I could buy two nice rifles for the price of my M1a. I don't think the demand is as great as say 800$ AR's are. I am happy I have mine and plan to keep it. To me it is the rifle version of the 1911. It's what I know.

Don't think the M1A is dead at all. But the market for most all semi-auto rifles is over saturated with supply and depressed prices on most - the working theory is that Hillary was going to win and a new AWB would pass, so manufacturing ramped up.
So, take advantage of the good deals while they last.

The Springfield M1A w/ walnut stock is my dream rifle, I just can't justify $1500 and .75 cents a round for a hobby.

For newly built firearms, it seems the price of everything else has come down except the M1A. If I could get a basic Springfield version for $850 new I'd probably order one this afternoon.

I agree, The prices are TOO HIGH for a basic M-1A. but Springfield seems to be dropping it's prices a little. Not to long ago, a "Standard" was $1700 and a loaded was $300 to $500 more! Now there are even more choices and a "standard" with Poly stock is $1300! I would like to see them just under a grand for a plain ol service issue with wood stocks and a loaded for $1400.

I would like to see them just under a grand for a plain ol service issue with wood stocks and a loaded for $1400.

I could live with $1000.

If more manufacturers started making M1A's then prices would come down. How about an M&P 14 Sport? It sounds blasphemous, but don't tell that to Colt, whom everybody ripped off, i.e., it's been done before!

I bought my first M-1 A National Match for $1379 back in the early 90's and I later bought a "Standard" with really nice wood stocks for $850:):):)
My BM-59 cost almost as much as a Loaded today, and I had to build it and stock it my self, not an especially easy build ether! There is no good reason for the prices to be so high, and like you say, others need to start building them to get the prices down. Now to get the Garands back from over seas and get the prices of those under control:cool: Me thinks I need a few more Garands to play with! LOL

The price of .308/762x51 was the reason I dumped my M1A and FAL. Gone are the days of shooting 300-400 rounds of cheap mil-surp and not feeling the pinch

The price of .308/762x51 was the reason I dumped my M1A and FAL. Gone are the days of shooting 300-400 rounds of cheap mil-surp and not feeling the pinch

I totally agree there! I can pick up a box of .300 win mag or other full pop hunting ammo for about the same cost of a lowly box of .308 win. Mil Surp climbed the price ladder to the point of being almost as expensive as the good stuff, and all for no good reason but to stick it to us!:mad:

I don't care, I've got mine! :D I don't think the M-1A is going away! They are too much fun and too effective a weapon for that!
Every time, a first time M-1A, shooter tries one a new potential customer is born! They have never had a huge percentage of the market, and, as others have said, the influx of cheap AR's is slowing sales! If I needed another self loading rifle, at this time, I'd probably get some form of an AR.

Last Edited:
True, ARs are everywhere and dirt cheap, but 7.62 NATO ARs are not very cheap. My Buddy has a LMT 308 that cost him $2500. LMTs & Knights Armory rifles run $2500+. Lower end ARs like Ruger SR-762 run about the same as the M1A. ARs in 5.56 NATO and 9mmP are cheaper than 7.62 NATO to plink with. I've never been able to shoot more than 50 rounds of 7.62, it is not a plinking round. My son bought me a Colt AR-15 9mm carbine that is very cheap to shoot and much lighter. I'm still really like the M14 platform, I qualified with a M14 as a Midshipman. I have three (walnut stocked USGI Walnut stocked M1A, McMillan stocked M1A Super Match & a M1A Walnut Standard model), they will be with me until I'm baried at sea, then they will be my sons collection.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top