JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got back into reloading recently after a 40 year hiatus. Pretty much picked up where I left off with an RCBS single stage press (Rockchucker), then added a Hornady LNL Classic kit because it was just too good a deal to pass up at half retail, and it's always nice to have a backup. Both are good presses for my needs right now (loading for an AR), but now I'm planning to build a precision .223 bolt gun for longer range shooting, 5-600 yards. The sales info on the Forster sounds really good, but does the actual product live up to the claims? Not trying to start a fight, just curious if this is worth the cost for someone wanting to produce top end ammo, or will my existing equipment work just as well. Thanks.

Dave

The press strikes me as more of a convenience design, rather than something that will auto-magically produce ultra high quality ammo due to its design.

Making quality ammo is more a function of paying attention to detail and learning how to use your equipment properly than it is name brand.
You can keep rolling with what you already have while adding in some of those "benchrest tricks" into your production regimen.

If I had to attach a brand name to precision, it would be Redding.
But still, it's the indian pulling the lever that makes high quality ammo.

I guess it depends on you, and what you want. I've got one and the design has many benefits. Floating die, compound linkage that can apply a lot of force with very little pressure on the handle.

It was designed to give the nod to accuracy, and can accommodate very large cartridges. It's really not that much more money when you consider its a life long purchase. Amortized over several years, the increased cost is negligible.

That said, you can make extremely accurate Ammo on simpler less expensive equipment as long as it's quality and everything is precision aligned. Technique and components will give you the best results no matter what press you use.

I've loaded Ammo that holds 1/2 MOA out to 600 yds with a 40-50 year old RCBS JR press.

If you think it's worth the small extra cost (relatively speaking), then the confidence in your equipment is more than worth it imho.

I've got one and the design has many benefits.
I was given one several years ago and wish I had known about it when I STARTED reloading. Ditto on all the advantages already stated about it. The universal, mechanical shell holder takes a little getting used to but once adjusted properly it works well. I consider the Co-Ax the best SS press of all I have used but opinions vary.

Forster makes some top notch stuff. I've got some of their micrometer dies that I don't use to their full potential. If you are at the point in your shooting where that level of consistency and precision in every single round matters, then it's probably worth it. If you're still re-learning the trade, I might spend the $300 on components and practice shooting more. Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong.

I have one, I use it and enjoy it. Only reason I got it was that I bought a lot of reloading equipment and it was part of it. Otherwise not sure I would have spent the money on one. I'm sure I don't use it to its potential but it is a nice press.

Is the Forster Co-Ax worth it?

To me - Hell yes!

The price? Pfaugh! BOCO! (Buy once, cry once).

"The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

The Co-Ax was the first press I bought almost 40 years ago, back when the company name was Bonanza. It's still my go-to press for 90% of my reloading and for 100% of my serious reloading. I have progressive presses set up dedicated to specific pistol calibers I reload by the M. But for serious reloading the Co-Ax stands alone in my experience.

Of course I take my shooting and reloading a bit more seriously than most. If you're just after a handful of rounds a year, perhaps a cheaper press is appropriate.

But I have a shelf full of dies in rather a lot of calibers. I enjoy the fact that my press makes the best quality rounds I can reasonably produce. The snap-in die feature and the universal shell holder and priming assembly make changing setups a breeze.

I would not divest of my Co-ax for twice the retail price if I could not replace it. In fact I have invested in a complete set of spare critical spare parts, and optional shell holder jaws and for it. They weren't cheap, in dollar terms, either. But knowing I can completely depend on a piece of gear - and the fact I can load any caliber, no matter how oddball, from .460 Weatherby to .22 Hummingbird as long as I have the die set - is priceless. To me anyway.

The only thing - and I mean the ONLY thing - that I have found objectionable about the Co-ax in 40 years of use is that the dies require the old-style thick round doughnut-type lock ring to snap-in and out of the die holder. Most all the die manufacturers nowadays just give you a thin cheap crummy lil lock nut designed for an inexpensive press. So I have had to replace the lock rings on most of my dies. It was a bother but it only needs to be done once. And truthfully that is not really a problem with the Co-ax - it's a problem with the niggling cost-cutting bean-counting die manufacturers these days.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

the dies require the old-style thick round doughnut-type lock ring to snap-in and out of the die holder.
Ditto on this! One of the first things I discovered also but I had plenty of the old style lock rings to outfit my dies with! Regardless this is not a detractor. Mine too is the earlier Bonanza made model but I don't see much difference in the new Forster one.

Thanks for all the responses, guys, I definitely see one of these in my near future. Later.

Dave
I don't think you'll be disappointed, and you've also been given a great deal of additional info regarding the press and components for it.

Happy reloading!

I have gone to a short handle on mine and have it mounted on an inline fabrication mount. He also makes different add ones for the press to make the loading process quicker. For anyone not familiar with Inline Fabrication I'd highly suggest checking out Dans site. He's local in Oregon and is a great guy and company to deal with.

I have gone to a short handle on mine and have it mounted on an inline fabrication mount. He also makes different add ones for the press to make the loading process quicker. For anyone not familiar with Inline Fabrication I'd highly suggest checking out Dans site. He's local in Oregon and is a great guy and company to deal with.
Yes he is. I've got several of his mounts. One for almost every press I own. Very solid high quality stuff. Also a great guy to deal with.

I am a long range precision (PRS) reloader. The Co-Ax is certainly worth it to me based on the ability to quick-change dies, the elimination of press bases, and for the depriming cup at the bottom (the rock chucker makes such a mess, no matter how careful you are).

I was unable to notice a decrease in runout on the co-ax vs the Rock Chucker (I have measured), but the other features make this a no-brainer. I started on a Rock Chucker just like many others and I wish I would have switched years ago.

I was shooting in Yakima yesterday (6XC through my Mausingfield) to 1150yds and my SD across a 5 shot group was 3.6fps.

The promised increase in leverage and therefore ease of operation (including the shell-holder and especially the primer) are the big attraction to me. I had a Rockchucker and it just did not have the leverage and ease of operation I wanted. I used a Lee priming tool and while it was better than using the press, the Forster priming operation seems much easier and more consistent - at least from the review vids I watched.

I need to get my bench setup and start reloading again. I am kind of anxious to get some special .223 loads worked up. From what I have read you can create loads from almost .22 LR power on up. Also would like to work up some low power .44 and .45 LC loads.

I have several friends that use them. Mostly on Long rifle cases. The long throw has a mechanical advantage. I used one to swage lead bullets for awhile. But most of my loading now are in fairly short cases. I no longer load 45-120, or the like. My cast iron Lee press produces ammo with no worse runout. And has a noticeably shorter pull. If I were loading something big like 50 BMG, or some of the belted mag's, It would be a good option. DR

I have several friends that use them. Mostly on Long rifle cases. The long throw has a mechanical advantage. I used one to swage lead bullets for awhile. But most of my loading now are in fairly short cases. I no longer load 45-120, or the like. My cast iron Lee press produces ammo with no worse runout. And has a noticeably shorter pull. If I were loading something big like 50 BMG, or some of the belted mag's, It would be a good option. DR
I be looking for some .45-120 brass if you no longer reload it and have some you would consider parting with.
Thanks
Dan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews