JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I remember Ithaca's "Roadblocker" 10 Gauge self-loading shotgun set up for buckshot and rifled slugs. The 22" barrel was effective but heavy. A slide-action model is a tad lighter and easier to carry.

A great deer shell would be a 1 5/8" 10 gauge from a 24" improved cylinder barrel. This would prove devastating on hogs and deer. It would also be a barrel swap away from a 30" extra-full choke pass shooting shotgun for geese. Another 26" Modified choke barrel would work for 2 7/8" shells for 40-50 yard duck and upland game work.

Opinions?

Can you even get sporting ammo for one?
I think the 10 gauge sounds bad a$$, but if ammo isn't readily available, I'm not very interested.

I had an Ithaca Mag-10 for many years. It had a long hunting barrel (28"-ish) and a shorter one (22"-ish). I did not have any difficulty finding shells for it, at least turkey loads and 00-buckshot, online and at the Cabela's in Eugene. I finally parted with it in April. It was a fine, though sometimes finicky, shotgun, and the only one of the small batch I let go that I really cared about. But the reality is that unbelievable time pressures of the last few years aren't letting up, I didn't have much use for it because of that, and I've been trying to cut down the number of calibers/gauges we stockpile.

Is the Big 10 still viable? I'd say, yes, though the 12-gauge 3½" loads, naturally took over the market. Someday if my schedule and work life ever slows down, I would be tempted to get another Ten, though I'd go SxS double that time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top