JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It will depend entirely on the dog. A great bird dog is not bothered by shotgun blasts, but I've seen many a retriever breed (despite all kinds of training from a young age) that freak out from gunshots and are relegated to just being a house pet.

It will mainly be 22lr, 17hmr, 22 hornet, and 223. I have a banash 223 and an AB raptor. I dont like leaving my dogs at home all day when i go gopher shooting and I was hoping with the suppressors they could ride a long. A german shepherd and little terrior. The german shepherd has been around a gair amount of rimfire shooting in the past so he should be good.

If they are not currently gun shy or fireworks bother them, they should be ok in the car.

However, if they are walking with you or near your shooting position, remember the even suppressed fire has a distance at which the noise level will be significant enough to harm the dog's ears. Don't do that!!!

If they are not currently gun shy or fireworks bother them, they should be ok in the car.

However, if they are walking with you or near your shooting position, remember the even suppressed fire has a distance at which the noise level will be significant enough to harm the dog's ears. Don't do that!!!
It's also about the effect of the sound pressure effects they feel, and can perceive.

Last Edited:
OMG! Think of all the psychological trauma that you'll cause them.
Yeah.....they'll get/have flashbacks and bad dreams of the ATF (and other LEOs).

Aloha, Mark

I know dogs are borhered by dog whistles and other noises that don't bother humans. Would it be ok for dogs tonbe around while shooting suppressed or is there enough noise there that it would bother them?
I can hear dog whistles. The are high pitched and irritating. But then, I can ear mice chirping at each other when they play. I can hear a big caterpillar chewing a leaf in my garden from 20' away. And I normally hear deer long before they ear me. Acute earing is my superpower. Even at age 76.

I know dogs are borhered by dog whistles and other noises that don't bother humans. Would it be ok for dogs tonbe around while shooting suppressed or is there enough noise there that it would bother them?
depends on the dog and what you are shooting suppressed. 300 BO subs out of a locked breach gun, likely okay. My 500 S&W Magnum lever gun suppressed? Probably not okay. The sound and pressure is bad even suppressed.

I have acute hearing, and I figure if I need double ear pro, then of course a dog would be even worse off than me.

Now I once had a completely deaf dog. Could not even hear gunshots. He, I would not have been concerned with.

I can hear dog whistles. The are high pitched and irritating. But then, I can ear mice chirping at each other when they play. I can hear a big caterpillar chewing a leaf in my garden from 20' away. And I normally hear deer long before they ear me. Acute earing is my superpower. Even at age 76.
If that is true, then what did I just say three seconds before I posted this?

;) :D

If that is true, then what did I just say three seconds before I posted this?

;) :D
You whistled at me and then said in an ordinary voice, "Hey Old Broad! How's about we go elk hunting together some day? You find the elk with your super-hearing and I shoot it and butcher it? I said " Okay, but you gotta haul it outta the woods too." And you were listening with a special top-secret military-grade device you swiped from somewhere and said, "Old Broad, you're a lazy B!TCH!" And I said, "Finding the elk is the hard part. Shooting it just takes a second. You're like the guy who bonks a gal once and thinks he's done his share of raising the kid." Then I heard the distinct sounds of vigorous stomping, so I said "Nya nya nya! You missed!"

By "bothered" are you asking about physical damage to their hearing or about a behavioral response to the sound?

If the former, yes, suppressed shooting from any caliber will damage their hearing.

If the latter, it's completely up to the individual dog. Most dogs can be worked with to be comfortable around gunfire, with a better success rate if exposed as puppies. Some dogs just have a massive fear response and will never be comfortable around it.

It depends on what you are shooting. Many suppressed calibers still require hearing protection. If you care about your dog, I would say that if you are wearing hearing protection, your dog should be too. And with human and dog hearing I would err on the side of caution. This assumes Mr/Mrs Whiskers isn't too bothered by gunfire to begin with. But shooting can absolutely damage your dog's hearing.

You whistled at me and then said in an ordinary voice, "Hey Old Broad! How's about we go elk hunting together some day? You find the elk with your super-hearing and I shoot it and butcher it? I said " Okay, but you gotta haul it outta the woods too." And you were listening with a special top-secret military-grade device you swiped from somewhere and said, "Old Broad, you're a lazy B!TCH!" And I said, "Finding the elk is the hard part. Shooting it just takes a second. You're like the guy who bonks a gal once and thinks he's done his share of raising the kid." Then I heard the distinct sounds of vigorous stomping, so I said "Nya nya nya! You missed!"

You THINK you know me!! o_O

:s0140:

You THINK you know me!! o_O

:s0140:
Naw. Actually I don't. Just responded to a playful challenge. So I went with it and it went its own direction, none of which had much to do with who either of us are. I do have the claimed super-hearing. However, since I get around with a cane these days, nobody would be well-advised to count on me leading them to an elk.

Last Edited:
Naw. Actually I don't. Just responded to a playful challenge. So I went with it and it went its own direction, none of which had much to do with who either of us are. I do have the claimed super-hearing. However, since I get around with a cane these days, nobody would well-advised to count on me leading them to an elk.
She'll beat you with that though boy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads