JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well from what I have read there never was an agreement with the port, verbal or written. And I found this.

"In 2007, average annual full-time wages for 15,000 workers at 29 West Coast ports topped $136,000, according to the Pacific Maritime Association, which negotiates and administers contracts between ports and the ILWU. Longshoremen earned an average of more than $125,000, clerks more than $145,000 and foremen more than $200,000.

Workers also get benefits packages worth $50,000 per year, according to the association's 2007 report."

Well from what I have read there never was an agreement with the port, verbal or written. And I found this.
That is incorrect:
EGT started the fight by suing the Port of Longview to void the stipulation in its lease that requires EGT to hire Local 21 members. The trial is set to begin next year and could drag on for years. In the meantime, EGT has broken off negotiations with the ILWU and is operating its terminal as if it had already won the case.

I don't get why you guys are supporting this corporation. This multi-national corporation swindles millions from the city of Longview to build their terminal, with the stipulation in their contract that they would use local union labor to build the terminal and ILWU local 21 to operate it. Then this company just ignores their contract and hires out of state non-union labor to build the terminal, and some patsy union to operate it. That's millions of public dollars that should have gone back into the pockets of the locals that paid those taxes.

This Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local 701 has been denounced by the Oregon AFL-CIO:
Be it resolved that the Oregon AFL-CIO state federation Executive Board and its local union affiliates condemn in the strongest way possible the scab labor actions of OE Local 701, and further;

Be it resolved that the Oregon AFL-CIO state federation send a letter to OE Local 701 demanding that Local 701 immediately cease and desist from allowing its members to displace ILWU longshoremen at the EGT facility in the Port of Longview, and finally;

Be it resolved that the Oregon AFL-CIO publicize this resolution and its opposition to Local 701’s actions on its web site’s front page and as the headline issue in its Weekly Update.

I do believe I am capable of decrying the actions of the union members and bosses, without necessarily supporting the corporation.
If you want to support the union members, fine. If you do it by causing mayhem and destruction, you are no better than the hooded eco-anarchists that destroy private property during WTO and NAFTA protests.

What the union members did was wrong. Destruction of property, detaining security guards, dumping goods and threatening other workers, all while trespassing on private property, are all age old tactics of unions in their efforts to strong-arm employers.

The police, who are there to maintain order, and uphold the law/court order, are caught in the middle

And yes, there was/is a "cease and desist" court order against the union's actions.

So, this was indeed social/worker unrest, escalated to violence by thugs in the union, and you appear to be supporting those actions scrappy,...
Why is that?

That is incorrect:

I don't get why you guys are supporting this corporation. ]Oregon AFL-CIO[/URL]:

I don't necessarily support the corporation, but the actions of thuggery is uncalled for wanton violence - it doesn't do anyone any good, and in fact, if I was a judge, I would hold that against them....but I know judges don't do that kind of thing??

For me, I can't get over the idea that a union honestly thinks this is a "good" thing to do, go rioting and threatening life and limb, cutting brake lines on rail cars, dumping grain, etc....who pays for that stuff? The union doesn't care - and unless the court/justice(?) system arrests them and holds them liable for their actions, they won't ever care.

I can't believe anyone would support that kind of union activity to today's society....

I'll start caring about unions and their so called rights when I get my individual healthcare mandate waiver like oh so many hundreds of unions (private and public ones) have for "Obamacare".

So, if EGT started it, WHY did they sue to get out of the contract? Was it JUST because they didn't want to pay these childish, money-grubbers? Or was there some other crap that was pulled by either the port of Longview or the union that would give them cause to reconsider their decision?

So, if EGT started it, WHY did they sue to get out of the contract? Was it JUST because they didn't want to pay these childish, money-grubbers? Or was there some other crap that was pulled by either the port of Longview or the union that would give them cause to reconsider their decision?

EGT leased the land from the Port. The PORT had a deal with the union that it would only employ union workers. EGT made no such arrangement directly. When it attempted to hire non-union workers the union stepped in and pressured the Port. The Port then told EGT that due to an agreement between the Port and the union they were required to hire union workers. Now I've seen news stories that say it was a clause in the lease and I've seen news stories that say it wasn't. Regardless the Port threatened EGT with a lawsuit if they didn't use union workers. So EGT sued them first to ensure they could use non-union workers. After the fiasco went higher they decided to use union workers, just not the ones that had been damaging their property and threatening non-union employees.

But yes, the start of it was EGT wanted to higher cheaper labor. The corporation is Japanese, Korean, and another group from Missouri I believe. And foreigners really don't understand the union concept in America. In Japan you are proud of your company and want it to succeed, of course they have more loyalty to workers as well.

I believe you are 100% correct ride!
It's old school chicago politics plain and simple.
We will be up to our necks in union and racial violence before the results of the 2012 race are in the books.

If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you were not racist, In 2012 vote for someone else to prove your not an idiot!

Whether or not 2 of the 3 companies are from another country, they should be held to the same confines that that any american company would be held to. If they signed a contract with the clause about using local 21 union labor to build and run the site, even if they didn't go into the agreement directly, they need to abide by the contract and hire the local 21 labor or abandon the site and find a place elsewhere. this is something that they should have clarified before the signatures.

That is incorrect:

I don't get why you guys are supporting this corporation. This multi-national corporation swindles millions from the city of Longview to build their terminal, with the stipulation in their contract that they would use local union labor to build the terminal and ILWU local 21 to operate it. Then this company just ignores their contract and hires out of state non-union labor to build the terminal, and some patsy union to operate it. That's millions of public dollars that should have gone back into the pockets of the locals that paid those taxes.

This Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local 701 has been denounced by the Oregon AFL-CIO:

Who cares what another union denounced!!!especially the aflcio

The OP asked if this was brewing social unrest. I believe it is not. I think the term "social unrest" means a broader and more general level of unhappiness among the overall population that erupts or threatens to erupt into violence. This is a local labor dispute. I don't care about it, the issues, or the outcome. I don't care that they are in a dispute and don't care what happens on their workplace property. I don't have a dog in the fight. However, if any of them think they have a right to move it to the streets where they threaten me or mine, I will meet and raise their violence.

6 more arrested Fox 12 didn't name them. So here they are.

News Releases
Additional Port of Longview Arrests - 09/15/11
Kelso, WA - Cowlitz County Sheriff's Deputies, investigating violations at the Port of Longview, have made six more arrests in the last 24 hours. The arrests stem from the incident on the railroad tracks on the afternoon of September 7th. The following are the persons arrested:

On September 14, 2011:

Phillip D. SCHILL, age 45 of Kelso

On September 15, 2011:

Byron J. JACOBS, age 28 of Longview

Guy E. TOW, age 45 of Longview

Michael K. MULLER, age 54 of Longview

Christopher J. BARBER, age 39 of Kelso

Randy K. JOHNSON, age 47 of Longview

All of the above individuals were booked and released on Criminal Trespass 2nd (RCW 9A.52.080) and Obstructing or Delaying a Train (RCW 81.52.020). They will appear in Cowlitz County District Court for arraignment sometime in the next week.

Deputies are continuing their investigation into both the train obstruction incident on the afternoon of September 7th and the EGT Terminal breech and vandalism during the early morning hours of September 8th.
Arrest Made in EGT Terminal Breech - 09/13/11
Kelso, WA - One arrest has been made in the early morning breech of EGT's grain terminal at the Port of Longview. Cowlitz County Sheriff's deputies identified one of the suspects who entered the facility, assaulted a guard, and vandalized rail cars on September 8th.

Ronald Patrick STAVAS, 45, of Kelso was arrested last night on a Sheriff's Office probable cause statement. Stavas was taken into custody without incident by Longview Police members of a Sheriff's Office joint investigative team, which includes Sheriff's deputies, Kelso, and Longview Police. Stavas was booked into the Cowlitz County Jail on four felony charges: burglary in the first degree, assault in the second degree, intimidating a witness, and sabotage. At his initial appearance in Cowlitz County Superior Court this morning, his bail was set at $50,000.00. He remains in custody at this time.

STAVAS was identified by a witness after seeing a KGW TV video at the union hall where STAVAS confronted the news crew.

Also arrested on Monday was Shelly Ann PORTER, age 39, of Longview. She was charged with criminal trespass in the second degree as a result of the blocking of the train on Wednesday, September 7. She was booked and released on this misdemeanor charge and will be making an appearance in Cowlitz County District Court.

Sheriff Mark Nelson said that the investigation into the incidents on Wednesday and Thursday is continuing. He expects more arrests to be made within the next couple of days. Further information will be forthcoming as it

I just say they ruin companies...............................

Example GM, Chrysler, Ford, and what happend to them...................... If Obama would have no gave them the money they would be out of business.......

I wish they would be gone.......... Longview should have never been allowed to happen....... Should have taken riot cops and beat them to **** but they have all the democrats on their side........... They make companies go broke. GM, Ford, and Chrysler will be in the same position again....... And when did the union become a political figure? I thought they just cared about labor? And the number one donator to the Obama campaign is the union.............

Taking all the workers money and donating it to a demacrat party with out asking them........

Screw em and let them stand their with their signs and do vulgar things as it is working and making people hate them more............ Plus since most of unions are construction and jobs like that and their tools are all made in China........

Right. I look forward to the day when we get back to working for $1/hr. And those damn kids, what are they doing in school all day when they could be helping support their families by working in a mine or a factory?
[Insert predictable Ayn Rand style bs reply here...]

RED T-Shirt?- Check
Obama's Army?-Check
Spoilt Child?- Check and double Check

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show