JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Safe, yes, given reasonable loads. Satisfactory? Probably not, unless you have very low expectations to begin with.

FWIW, this is a frequent question on muzzleloader sites and the answer is always the same.

Last Edited:
Get yourself a smooth bore if you want decent patterns. I have a shotgun barrel for my TC new englander that I used to duck hunt with quite successfully. Non toxic being a requirement I had to do some experimenting with steel shot before finding a combo that patterned well. I ended up with 110gr of prodex with a modern steel 12 ga wad over the powder and 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz of # 2 steel shot with a felt over wad. It worked great.

As noted above one can shoot lead shot from a rifled bore...but in general the patterns will be less than stellar.
A muzzleloading smooth bore gun is very fun to shoot and fairly easy to come by.

In one of the "stickies" here in this sub-section I have some suggested shotgun loads for muzzleloaders.....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top