JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm a newbie out here. A few days ago, a roaming coyote killed one of our pet cats, and apparently has been killing cats and dogs throughout the neighborhood lately. We live right on the Columbia river, a semi-rural area where there are lots of places for a coyote to hide. My question - if this animal comes on my property again (we have about a 1-acre lot) am I allowed to shoot it? I found RCW 77.36.030 that says I am, but don't know what local restrictions there might be on using e.g. a hunting rifle or other firearm here for this purpose. Thanks in advance.

You need a small game license. You also want to make sure you are allowed to discharge firearms where you live.

1 acre isn't that big of a space. You may want to use a shotgun and make sure you know where your bullets/pellets/slugs are going to end up if/when they exit your property.

Absolutely, as long as you can discharge a firearm safely. Coyotes are considered vermin, along with possums, raccoons, and various other small furry creatures. Slay them with impunity.

Also, there used to be a bounty on coyotes (Dad and I killed many when I was a boy). Might be still.

Degradation makes it OK to kill the yote.It did kinda ruin the cat,no?

As stated,just make sure you don't shoot the neighbors,they may shoot back.
Shoot from a higher vantage point so you are shooting down.
Or maybe someone will give info about traps.

Absolutely, as long as you can discharge a firearm safely. Coyotes are considered vermin, along with possums, raccoons, and various other small furry creatures. Slay them with impunity.

Also, there used to be a bounty on coyotes (Dad and I killed many when I was a boy). Might be still.

Check your state laws, you may need to have a hunting license to take them. It would suck to have your hunting privileges revoked because of something stupid like that.

Edit:

I just checked the regulations for your state (very easy to do online) and found that you have to have a small game license to shoot "vermin" including Coyote. If you have a big game license it's legal to shoot Coyote and Forest Grouse only, for all other you still need the small game license.

The Regs can be found here. Protect yourself and read them.

Washington Hunting Regs

Check your state laws, you may need to have a hunting license to take them. It would suck to have your hunting privileges revoked because of something stupid like that.

Edit:

I just checked the regulations for your state (very easy to do online) and found that you have to have a small game license to shoot "vermin" including Coyote. If you have a big game license it's legal to shoot Coyote and Forest Grouse only, for all other you still need the small game license.

The Regs can be found here. Protect yourself and read them.

Washington Hunting Regs

I believe if they are in your yard and a threat,you may not need a license.
But,the most important part is discharging a firearm.Is that part legal in your immediate area?
Got a bow? Cross bow? Big plastic bag? Trunk/truck?

SSS :s0155:

Wow pale, to my surprise that link says we need a license to shoot a coyote. There are so many freaken laws being passed under the radar screen nowadays. I was young once too.

How ever, can you deliberately hunt feral pigs now? :gun14: :huh:

Wow pale, to my surprise that link says we need a license to shoot a coyote. There are so many freaken laws being passed under the radar screen nowadays. I was young once too.

They aren't included anywhere in the regs,here in Washington

He.ll with it. Never had a license before and I'm not about to start paying $40/year to get rid of vermin.

Last Edited:
My mom had this happen in her neighborhood. They all live in houses that are on 3 plus acres and have yotes running around all the time. Well new neighbors moved in and bam little dog gets eaten. Long story short Sherrif came out and recomended to have a trapper come and either trap the animal or shoot it. I do not see these people doing it themselves:s0114: as they are white collar who are lost if the mall is closed:D I say shoot away but like stated just know what is in the path of the bullet.

In Washington I think you need a hunting license. A big game license will work but if you want to go cheap just for varmits a small game license is cheaper. Some areas have restrictions on firearms ( Sequim area north is one) and require rimfire or shotgun. If you have coyotes in your area just get one of the licenses and deal with them legaly. You will be happier in the long run. Shoot them year round.

One thing to consider, a fair part of Clark County is a no firearms discharge area. I would talk with the sheriffs office to find out if your neighborhood is in this area. If so, it would be a misdemeanor to shoot any firearm unless it is self defence.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top