JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If one's Hobby is viewed as a "chore", or "hassle", then I'd think they have the wrong "Hobby".

There are some chores and hassles however with all hobbies. I thing having to wait for a barrel to cool down or even take the time to clean it is a chore or hassle. Takes time away from my shooting but what the heck, it's a great hobby. Reloading is just part of the total package.

For me, I invested in bulk components after I got the basics down, as in $15.00-$20.00 is WAY too much to pay for 100 bullets for pistol. Free brass(because you've been saving it), polishing media from member
Skydiver at a very good price, bullets by the thousand, or more, and pistol powder, for $16.00-$23.00 you can load a lot of rounds with a pound of powder.

My process goes in stages.......I eventually get polished, primed, brass in the loading room. I deprime/size and have the calibers I load waiting to turn into live ammo. By the time I prime, charge seat the
projectile and set that little beauty nose down in the box I consider it FREE AMMO!!

I only do handgun, which is a breeze as far as I'm concerned. Consider too, that what ever you buy you will always be able to get money back on should you decide the affliction is not for you. I really feel like
even if I quit shooting I'd still like to load ammo.

There's also a part of me that does not want every one getting into hand loading, because "they" will jack/tax the price up so much that the savings dissapear.

Mike

If one's Hobby is viewed as a "chore", or "hassle", then I'd think they have the wrong "Hobby".

There are some chores and hassles however with all hobbies. I thing having to wait for a barrel to cool down or even take the time to clean it is a chore or hassle. Takes time away from my shooting but what the heck, it's a great hobby. Reloading is just part of the total package.
I agree totally. After watching hours of reloading videos on youtube yesterday I believe it will become a chore to use a single stage press. Especially after watching a Lee and Dillon 650 turret press, wow those ar very impressive. But I will start will a single stage to learn or and get into the basics.
For me, I invested in bulk components after I got the basics down, as in $15.00-$20.00 is WAY too much to pay for 100 bullets for pistol. Free brass(because you've been saving it), polishing media from member
Skydiver at a very good price, bullets by the thousand, or more, and pistol powder, for $16.00-$23.00 you can load a lot of rounds with a pound of powder.

My process goes in stages.......I eventually get polished, primed, brass in the loading room. I deprime/size and have the calibers I load waiting to turn into live ammo. By the time I prime, charge seat the
projectile and set that little beauty nose down in the box I consider it FREE AMMO!!

I only do handgun, which is a breeze as far as I'm concerned. Consider too, that what ever you buy you will always be able to get money back on should you decide the affliction is not for you. I really feel like
even if I quit shooting I'd still like to load ammo.

There's also a part of me that does not want every one getting into hand loading, because "they" will jack/tax the price up so much that the savings dissapear.

Mike

I agree with you on buying in bulk what you can. I will do that with what i can like primers, powder, etc. I will try and buy as much as I can from members here and then from reputable companies who havent jacked up prices. Also doing things in stages will be best, to ensure things are done right and that I learn slowly.

Also don't be afraid of using hard cast lead rds in ur hand guns except the glocks get a dropin barrel go shoot hard cast lead.... Been shooting IPSC and IDPA and also Speed Steel matches since 89 and never had a problem just get a hoppe or Lewis lead remover kit swear by them. Expandable plug and brass patches as always worked.

Remember WHEN SECONDS COUNT HELP IS JUST MINUTES AWAY!!!!!

You can use this spreadsheet to see how long it will take your to pay for your reloading equipment. This will calculate upto 5 different
calibers for your expenses and tell you how long it will take to payback the cost of reloading including your labor. Hope this helps!:):)
I tried to open this zip file but Microsoft says it could be harmful to my PC. Any ideas why? and has anyone else had this experience?

Just in .45acp I save a min of $80 per month by reloading if I only shoot 100 per week ($18-20per 100 vs 40-?) .In the year and a half that I had my Lee progressive I saved enough to pay for the equipment and to pay for the upgrade to a dillon 650 when I got tired of messing with the press.
Now that I have branched out to other calibers the savings will be even more .38 spc is $17-20 per 50 for lead round nose vs $11-12 per 100 to reload.The savings really add up on magnum revolver loads as the additional powder cost between for example .357 and .38 is negligible and the primer and projectile cost is the same.
If you shoot mouse guns such as .25,.32, or.380 you can also save a larger percentage as they are overpriced Low production scale rounds that use a tiny quantity of lead or powder to load.

Example of cost for .45 acp

Bullets 13.20 per 100 (230 gr fmj 132per 1000 from precision delta)
Primers 2.88 per 100 (cci300 287.50 per 10,000 including hazmat)
Powder 1.75 per 100 (Unique purchased locally at 20.00 per pound)
17.83 per 100 to reload vs 38.99 per 100 last time I bought winchester at walmart

"Is reloading cost effective? "

Not if your buying components now at scalper prices.

Another reason to heed the "stock up" advice and don't just buy two trays of primers, a pound of powder, and a box of bullets, all the time.

I've always preferred to buy at least a year's supply and buy it form sources with good prices. Even with the hazmat it's less expensive and then when the panic induced shortages occur ~~~~~~ Well, you know.

What't the old saying about failure to plan and "emergencies"?

Thanks everyone for some great info. I'll start shopping for equipment.

A lot of great information here! What is a good progressive press?

I have used the Hornady Lock-n-load and I like how it works for $420. Is there a better AP press out there for the $$$?

I am going to reload 9mm and .223

Reloading is quite affordable and effective, IF YOU OWN the componets, equipment, and have time on your side. LIKE Semi-retired.

Starting new today, one must do his home work, shop effectively for componets and willing to wait and learn.

If they stop total availability to acquire ammo, due to shortage, by design, horders, government or whatever, you, if prepared will still have ammo....YAHooooooooo yip ki ow000000 ^&*()_*&^ , as was shared in the movies

No chore at all once you have a system in place AND use a hand priming system as opposed to the systems on most presses.

The priming system on my Lee Classic Cast works pretty well. I've used an RCBS hand primer as well but don't find I need it because it's a lot faster to do it on the downstroke on the press.

Watching this guy, it's obvious that single stage not a chore - his workflow is very smooth. I don't use a Lee Auto Disk but otherwise my reloading looks a lot like his:

Reloading with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Press - YouTube

Really, I never found single stage reloading to be a chore. Sure, if I was shooting 500 rounds of 9mm every weekend, I'd want a progressive, but for the kind of shooting I do, reloading 100 or so at a time works great.

This is exactly how I feel and probably what I'll do, minus the lee press just cause of what I have read about Lee products. And you're probably going at the pace I will also, so a simpe press and good dies is what I'm aiing for. Dillon? Is that the big blue one? I think I saw a few of those at the gun show and they looked expensive.

Reloading is like meditation to me, as relaxing as shooting, and way more satisfying than watching a movie or playing on the Xbox.

I started out on a Lee Loadmaster 10 years ago for pistols. A bullet company was moving to a bigger facility and I bought all their stock in 9mm, 40s&w and 45ACP for wholesale price. With how much I shot back then, the whole setup, brass and bullets, paid for itself in < 6 months. I chewed through the 9mm long ago but still have ~1,000 40S&W left, which keeps my cost down to ~11¢/round. Just sold off my 45acp and 45 brass for what I paid for the loadmaster. Gave away the loadmaster in return for a favor.

About the Lee: they are definitely not of the same quality as the others, but they work well if you pay attention to how you set them up. If you are mechanically inclined, you won't go wrong. BUT - they won't last as long as the other brands ( I now use a Hornady LnL, 2 RCBS Rockchuckers and when I'm just decapping, a Lee Classic.). I would do ~500 rounds / hour, quick change the calibers and do another. That would set me up for a month of shooting.

Craigslist and this forum are fantastic places to pick up supplies.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top