JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've used he classifieds quite frequently on NWFA, but have a question maybe some of you can help me out with. I have a savage 99M in .284 win that I am going to start load developing for it and start hunting with it (and yes I know how rare and awesome it is!). It was my grandpas for 30+ years before I traded for it years ago and he recently passed so it has quite a bit of sentimental value and is never leaving my possession.

All that being sad the blueing on the barrel is near perfect but there is a lot of finish wear on the receiver and starting to get a little patina from years of use. My question is would it be sac religious to do something about the receiver like refinish/blue it to protect it, or should I just keep piling it and letting nature take its course.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

P1110071.JPG
I like patina and the nicks and scuffs that good honest use gives a gun.
Whenever I have re-stored a gun I try to make it look like a well maintained 100 + year old gun, not brand new.

Some of my guns I will not re-store or remove patina ... which means careful cleaning so as not to remove any patina build up.
We have a signed Long Rife from the 1780's ... lots of patina and a gorgeous patch box with a mellow brass color ... that's history ... And one of our bedrocks in our museum is to save and show history .. not lose it.
Check out these patch boxes ... sure would hate to see 'em all shiny and new...
Or a new looking wood stock on an old gun .
Andy

Last Edited:
I can understand the reasoning behind making Grandpa's rifle look new and shiny, but I'm in line with the rest here that say "don't touch it"! If you do you'll never be able to look at that gun and wonder or reflect on the past when he used it. You will never be able to "un-do" it. Since you're only talking about the receiver, which almost always shows less finish than the barrel if the gun was carried at all, it sounds like you have a well cared for gun. You can't go out with Grandpa, but you can go out with what was likely one of his most prized possessions, and you know damn well Grandpa wouldn't have had it reblued, or it wouldn't look like it does now.
In my early teen years I "restored" two of the guns that were my Grandpa's. That's a couple of the most stupid things I have ever done. I justified it then, but i still remember the words from the old gun guys... And like the teenage punk I was, I ignored them.
My Dad passed away last year. Now his guns are mine. No way in Hell these are getting anything but love! When they are passed down to Dad's grandsons, there will be a lesson that includes my experiences.
So, my bad decision left a lasting impression. Take my word for it. Don't do what I did 40 years ago.

Thank you all for your input! I agree that I don't want to take away it's past. Was just trying to brainstorm ways to keep it serviceable for another 50 years! Here are some pics. She is one of my crowning jewels, and my war bring back NPM carbine I got from grandpa...

IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2938.JPG

That's a beauty. If you really think you need to refinish that rifle, have someone beat you over the head with it first!
It shows some use and wonderful care. I'd be proud to own that one.

Thank you Mister Bisley and Orygun. I also got 160 ends of Winchester 150's and another 120 brass, so I should be good for awhile. It shoots decent with the Winchester, probablr 1 1/2 - 2 moa but I'd like to developer a load and get it under 1 moa. The .284 win seems to be a very exciting round to play with...

Thank you Mister Bisley and Orygun. I also got 160 ends of Winchester 150's and another 120 brass, so I should be good for awhile. It shoots decent with the Winchester, probablr 1 1/2 - 2 moa but I'd like to developer a load and get it under 1 moa. The .284 win seems to be a very exciting round to play with...
You're welcome. I've always been interested in the 284, too. Problem is, I want to hot rod it and a bolt gun would be better for that. You'll probably find this gun doesn't like being loaded to the max concerning accuracy. That's ok though, it's a lively round anyway.

You're welcome. I've always been interested in the 284, too. Problem is, I want to hot rod it and a bolt gun would be better for that. You'll probably find this gun doesn't like being loaded to the max concerning accuracy. That's ok though, it's a lively round anyway.

I agree. I have found that my most accurate loads are normally in the bottom end of the powder range anyways.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top