Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

is OMSI gun free

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by clee109, Feb 21, 2014.

1. clee109

clee109 Portland, OR Member

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I am taking my son on his cub scout trip to the OMSI sub tomorrow.

Would rather know ahead of time then get there and have to leave my gun in the car.

Thanks!

2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not on the days I've been there.......

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.

So they would have the right to put up a sign. I see nothing on there web site about firearms and I don't remember seeing anything like a no guns sign.

4. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

What gun?

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Gentry

Gentry Portland New Member

Concealed means concealed. It's not against the law to carry there even if they have a sign. That said if someone sees your gun and asks you to leave you better make for the exit otherwise you could be charged with trespassing. At least that's how I understand it.

6. clee109

Thanks guys! Yeah, I checked their website and didn't see anything posted on the topic. However, as we all know, just because a business or non-profit or whatever has a website doesn't mean they'll actually post anything regarding their views on firearms :).

I wasn't sure and didn't want to end up getting asked to leave while my son is enjoying is scouts outing. Wouldn't be fair to him and I just don't like the idea of leaving my gun in my car! Much could be said as well about not carrying and needing it, that would be far more unfair aye?

Thanks again! Appreciate it!

ZigZagZeke and (deleted member) like this.
  7. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would not open carry at OMSI.

Since OMSI has an .edu url, I have to wonder if it meets the requirements of a "school" for firearms.

But, since concealed means concealed...

8. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

An Oregon CHL holder may legally open carry at school.

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. clee109

Personally I don't open carry. Especially around the hippie communist stronghold of Portland haha.

10. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My thought on Open carry is not one of legality.

Having the bubblegummers calling the cops and getting OMSI locked down, whether or not the law is on your side, has the tendency to ruin the day.