JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was feeling sort of proud about getting my Maverick 88 outfitted with a Streamlight mag tube rail and a Crimson Trace CMR-209 weapon light. Everything fit properly, and getting it all snugly mounted was simple & painless. Best of all, I'd met my goal to hold total cost at about half the shotgun's purchase price (since it will just be locked to the wall 99.9% of the time).

The misgivings set in as I cleared away the shipping materials and saw this note on the weapon light box: "FITS MOST PISTOLS WITH PICATINNY" etc., etc. Whoa, it was called a WEAPON LIGHT when I ordered it; nothing at all suggested it might be only about pistols! Hmm, maybe they only mean that its relatively small dimensions make it suitable for pistols, not that its use should be limited to pistols. Or do they?

So, rather than taking it to the range to learn for myself if that weapon light will survive 12 ga. recoil, I decided to first tap the experience and wisdom available on the discussion forums at Northwest Firearms. What say you?

20200506_220047.jpg

Does the product literature have the phrase "shock isolated" anywhere in it?

Its a modern light - should be pretty much solid state stuff, LED vs the old incandescent bulbs in the early stuff. Might have issues with soldered connections or cheesy battery connections breaking, but the LED diode should be fine.

The smaller / less expensive lights are usually intended for pistols - but the tiny in-vogue concealment pistols the little lights are meant for are not exactly easy recoiling, so who knows. If it breaks, you can send it in and see if they'll replace or repair it, then put it on a pistol.

FWIW the Streamlight TLR series lights handle long-gun recoil just fine, at least the TLR1 / 2 lights.

Checking the (skimpy) literature that came with the light, no mention of shock isolated.

My Streamlight mag tube rail is made for the TLR series of lights, but the TLR series didn't fit my budget goal back then. Right now, though, my internal scrooge is succumbing to a common sense inclination: scrap the budget & get a TLR light for peace of mind.

Then I can buy a pistol WITH a rail so I'm not wasting my little Crimson Trace light. ;)

The misgivings set in as I cleared away the shipping materials and saw this note on the weapon light box: "FITS MOST PISTOLS WITH PICATINNY" etc., etc. Whoa, it was called a WEAPON LIGHT when I ordered it; nothing at all suggested it might be only about pistols!

Where did you buy it? The CT web site clearly states it is a pistol light. I'd be impressed if it made it through a shotgun class.
Rail Master® Pistol Light | CMR-209 | Crimson Trace

I've been sold on Surefire because I know they can take a beating, Mod-Lite and Cloud Defensive have seemed to overtake them recently. All expensive, but dependable, which IMO on a defensive gun is the only thing that matters.

As far as Streamlight goes, I've killed two of them and have a third one on my desk to return that belongs to my dad, he's 75 and doesn't beat on his gear like I do mine. I know people that swear by them, but I'm done with them.

Id say youre fine. They call it a pistol light because of its size, being suited for a pistol rail

I cant imagine something that can take a steady diet of .40SW, for example, but not withstand the recoil of that shotgun... The sharper snap of some pistol recoil would be harder on the light, IMO, than the thump of a 12ga

Id say youre fine. They call it a pistol light because of its size, being suited for a pistol rail

I cant imagine something that can take a steady diet of .40SW, for example, but not withstand the recoil of that shotgun... The sharper snap of some pistol recoil would be harder on the light, IMO, than the thump of a 12ga

The 40S&W produces in the neighborhood of 10fpe of recoil, while a 2 3/4" 12ga has a range of 17-45fpe with 3" being over 50fpe. So almost double on the low end and more than 4-5 times greater recoil on the high end. Shotguns put out a beating on both ends.
Handgun Recoil Table
SHOTGUN RECOIL TABLE

Last Edited:
It should be fine. I have a Spartan lasermax on my persuader via picatinny and it's held up just fine on a tube dump. So long as it's fastened properly it should do. It too is meant for handguns as a light/laser mix holds zero and hasn't fallen off yet. Screws are still set.

I was feeling sort of proud about getting my Maverick 88 outfitted with a Streamlight mag tube rail and a Crimson Trace CMR-209 weapon light. Everything fit properly, and getting it all snugly mounted was simple & painless. Best of all, I'd met my goal to hold total cost at about half the shotgun's purchase price (since it will just be locked to the wall 99.9% of the time).

The misgivings set in as I cleared away the shipping materials and saw this note on the weapon light box: "FITS MOST PISTOLS WITH PICATINNY" etc., etc. Whoa, it was called a WEAPON LIGHT when I ordered it; nothing at all suggested it might be only about pistols! Hmm, maybe they only mean that its relatively small dimensions make it suitable for pistols, not that its use should be limited to pistols. Or do they?

So, rather than taking it to the range to learn for myself if that weapon light will survive 12 ga. recoil, I decided to first tap the experience and wisdom available on the discussion forums at Northwest Firearms. What say you?

View attachment 693917

What the purpose of you shotgun? Critter control, HD, or what? For HD how do to turn the light since looks like you have reach since controls are on the light itself. You are good for the first round but you don't want to make yourself a target buy leaving the light on all of the time. Identify your target, loved one or someone you know turn light off, etc.

You may never need it, but if you do, it needs to be unquestionably reliable.
I started out with less expensive lights and lasers. After a couple trips to the range, they didn't work anymore. I upgraded to a Streamlight HL-X with laser, designed for a long gun. I also went with a Burris Speed Bead red dot. Astonishingly, I can hit a 6 inch bullseye at 100 yards with PDX Defender slugs very consistently. If you're having any doubts about your weapon light you owe it to yourself to get one you're confident in. That one night when you need it, it may save you and your family.

Here is my tactical shotgun wearing my antique (20yo) Sure Fire. I figure if it only works for a single shot, it has done the job if I have done mine. In other words, if more than one shot of 12ga 00 buck at under 10 yards is needed----well I guess I will just hope I can see in the dark. :D

20200329_161748.jpg
Don't laugh---it's paid for.:)

I just put a TLR 1HL on my shockwave with a CT Sidesaddle green laser. I really hesitated on the laser but did it anyhow and here is why. I also have a TLR on my pistol. My reasoning, if you are needing you firearm at night and you are required to put the TLR light pattern on your subject and use the weapon, your round will find its intended target without the use of sights if you put the TLR light center mass out to about 30 feet. Try a night shoot using that concept and you will be surprised at your success. Perfect no, but if you are on a budget I'd rather see my target in totality than put a red or green dot on it. The mount I purchased is aluminum and very durable.

IMG_0590.jpg IMG_0592.jpg

View attachment 693917

I had the same question, when I was thinking of putting a CMR204 onto a .308 - so I called Crimson Trace to ask if the plastic mounts would hold up to the recoil.

The lady I spoke with said they didn't know, but would be interested in hearing what my results were.

I haven't had an opportunity to shoot anywhere other than on the farm lately. Will probably get down to ARPC before long, and do some shooting from a bench. That way, if parts go flying, I'll be able to find them a bit easier than I could out in the field.

I've had to replace the plastic mounts on a CMR204 once already. It was mounted on a .45acp pistol. The mount cracked and fell apart.

It might be worthwhile to have a machine shop make metal copies of those plastic bits. But if I can find another brand of lights & lasers that are durable enough for hard use on a long gun, I'll give them a try.

I'll be interested to hear how your CT gear does on your 12 gauge. Good luck!

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with Crimson Trace. Here's the product they recommend for hard use on long guns:

I found one on eBay for $235.

Last Edited:

View attachment 693917

Depending on whether you are left or right handed you may want adjust the light mount to be be 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock position instead. I am right handed so I put my light mount at 9 o'clock position. I have an inexpensive TLR-1s light and it has held up for over 3 cases of 9 pellet 00 buckshot. A case is 250 rounds of shot shells.

I have a 18.5" Mossberg 590A1 and have CDMGear light mount.

Shotgun Light Mounts, MT Series

Where did you buy it? The CT web site clearly states it is a pistol light.
Yup, I see that now. I bought through Amazon, where descriptive details were pretty limited. I did some googlefoo back then, and think I would've locked onto that CT info if only I hadn't been so fixated on size (and cost). My choice had to be small enough for underslung mounting; left-side is a no-go because that side is clamped close to the wall by my ShotLock vault.
What the purpose of you shotgun? Critter control, HD, or what? For HD how do to turn the light since looks like you have reach since controls are on the light itself.
Oops, draft 1 of the OP explained that my shotgun is only for HD, but that got lost when I re-wote to make it shorter. The light switch is easy to reach at the rear of the light; actually it's a flat tab on each side (ambi). A quck tap turns the light on until a second tap turns it off. Press/hold/release controls momentary lighting.
You may never need it, but if you do, it needs to be unquestionably reliable.
Very true, although a "single shot" light would be adequate for a single intruder and they never run in packs, do they?
Here is my tactical shotgun wearing my antique (20yo) Sure Fire. I figure if it only works for a single shot, it has done the job if I have done mine. In other words, if more than one shot of 12ga 00 buck at under 10 yards is needed----well I guess I will just hope I can see in the dark. :D

643648-1090a6631e402a15accec6e82210ecf9.jpg
Don't laugh---it's paid for.:)
I like that "see in the dark" bit. Probably would take practice, so I'll start soon. Also, not laughing about your mag tube clamp; I'm dead certain it wouldn't dent my budget so badly as the one I settled on. 643648-1090a6631e402a15accec6e82210ecf9.jpg

Last Edited:
I built that set up special for a chicken killing racoon---see the flip open red filter. I used what I had on hand and made it work. You should see what a single round of 00 buck does to a 15lb racoon at 20 yards. :eek: Free buzzard food.:D

The biggest reason I threw this together was the simple fact that there are waaaaay too many choices of ways to do the same thing. I just could not decide which to buy, so threw one together.

Last Edited:
I had the same question, when I was thinking of putting a CMR204 onto a .308 - so I called Crimson Trace to ask if the plastic mounts would hold up to the recoil.

The lady I spoke with said they didn't know, but would be interested in hearing what my results were.

I haven't had an opportunity to shoot anywhere other than on the farm lately. Will probably get down to ARPC before long, and do some shooting from a bench. That way, if parts go flying, I'll be able to find them a bit easier than I could out in the field.

I've had to replace the plastic mounts on a CMR204 once already. It was mounted on a .45acp pistol. The mount cracked and fell apart.

It might be worthwhile to have a machine shop make metal copies of those plastic bits. But if I can find another brand of lights & lasers that are durable enough for hard use on a long gun, I'll give them a try.

I'll be interested to hear how your CT gear does on your 12 gauge. Good luck!

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with Crimson Trace. Here's the product they recommend for hard use on long guns:

I found one on eBay for $235.
Hmm, CT would be interested in hearing about results, but I bet they didn't offer to replace the light if it failed under test. I like the one they recommend for long guns; looks like it's sized right for the underslung position I need. The price, though! My heart stopped at the $430 MSRP. At $235, it still seems like buying a shotgun for my tactical light.

If I win the lottery, I'll go ahead and do some shooting with my CMR-209 in place. Good or bad, I'd come back here to post the results. With pics, too, if results are spectacular.

Depending on whether you are left or right handed you may want adjust the light mount to be be 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock position instead. I am right handed so I put my light mount at 9 o'clock position. I have an inexpensive TLR-1s light and it has held up for over 3 cases of 9 pellet 00 buckshot. A case is 250 rounds of shot shells.

I have a 18.5" Mossberg 590A1 and have CDMGear light mount.

Shotgun Light Mounts, MT Series
Agreed that a side-mount would allow enough space for a longer light, one designed to withstand long gun recoil. The problem, though, is my shotgun lives in a ShotLock vault that holds the gun's left side (my support side) about a half inch off the wall. Relocating or modifying that vault installation would require running the "permit" process once again past she-who-must-be-obeyed. That isn't happening; once was bad enough.

Last Edited:
Agreed that a side-mount would allow enough space for a longer light, one designed to withstand long gun recoil. The problem, though, is my shotgun lives in a ShotLock vault that holds the gun's left side (my support side) about a half inch off the wall. Relocating or modifying that vault installation would require running the "permit" process once again past she-who-must-be-obeyed. That isn't happening; once was bad enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...h&qid=1588890054&sprefix=tlr-1+hl+with&sr=8-4

My sincere thanks to all who replied; lots of valid observations and suggestions were made. My education has been improved (including an unexpected bonus, learning how buzzard food and a hose clamp relate to one another).

Yup, I see that now. I bought through Amazon, where descriptive details were pretty limited. I did some googlefoo back then, and think I would've locked onto that CT info if only I hadn't been so fixated on size (and cost). My choice had to be small enough for underslung mounting; left-side is a no-go because that side is clamped close to the wall by my ShotLock vault.

Oops, draft 1 of the OP explained that my shotgun is only for HD, but that got lost when I re-wote to make it shorter. The light switch is easy to reach at the rear of the light; actually it's a flat tab on each side (ambi). A quck tap turns the light on until a second tap turns it off. Press/hold/release controls momentary lighting.

Very true, although a "single shot" light would be adequate for a single intruder and they never run in packs, do they?

I like that "see in the dark" bit. Probably would take practice, so I'll start soon. Also, not laughing about your mag tube clamp; I'm dead certain it wouldn't dent my budget so badly as the one I settled on. View attachment 694019

Did wrap the magazine tube with electrical tape or something before you put the hose clamp on? Looks like you did.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top