JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anything mandated by the government is a bad thing...which is why gun owners should be responsible in the first place and buy a safe and keep guns away from children before they make them mandatory!

I disagree completely...the 14 year old was obviously trained in the use of that weapon, and that is what should be done. You do not lock up your fire-extinguisher do you just so you kids can't get to it? (or even you.)

Gun safes are for when there is no-one at home, and you want to protect your guns from theft, not so ypou cannot use them.

What you do with children is you train them, and train them, and train them....Then they can respond as this 14 year old did, or the 15 year old girl in TX.

wow, kids and guns. Here's my take on that, if you have reasonably smart kids, don't worry. If your kids are not the sharpest, you have a choice. You can lock up your guns, but even dumb kids are devious and will find a way. You can get rid of your guns, and keep the ingrates. You can keep the guns, call up whatever state agency that will take the kids, and sleep easy at night.

There have been times when I have suspected they were not my kids anyway.

Locking up all my guns is a choice I would prefer to make without any influence or interferance from governmental agencies.

As someone who has recently (1.5 years ago) moved from a state with mandatory "safe storage" laws, I can tell you that this is a horrid idea.

According to the A.G. of Massachusetts, any firearm which is not ON YOUR PERSON and is not locked with either a trigger lock or a gun cabinet/safe is unsafely stored.

It does not matter whether you have no minor children in the house. In fact, I'm aware of two cases where an elderly couple called 911 for a heart attack and the gun owner was charged with "unsafe storage" (with a loss of all his firearms rights) for having an "unsecured" firearm in his bedside drawer.

THERE IS NO WAY TO KID-SAFE GUNS. It does not exist, no matter what laws you pass. Look at children wounded in Mass. (with a 100% Brady center approval)as opposed to the rest of the country. The rate is not in any way significantly different.

It's very possible to GUN-SAFE KIDS.

Making guns safe for kids is an entirely different matter. It is not possible, even if your guns are all in a combination safe except for the ones you are carrying. If anyone is dumb enough to think that their enterprising teenagers can't figure out the combination, you are kidding yourself.

Your kids will be safe from gun accidents because YOU TRAINED THEM IN GUN SAFETY. There is NO other option. If we pressed this 1/10 as much as we pressed the evils of white, male oppressors in America in the schools, there would be next to ZERO gun accidents involving kids.

But no, we can't teach kids about gun safety because it's better to pretend that 350 million guns DON'T exist in our society and we should all just shut our eyes and scream "la la la I can't hear you."

wow, kids and guns. Here's my take on that, if you have reasonably smart kids, don't worry. If your kids are not the sharpest, you have a choice. You can lock up your guns, but even dumb kids are devious and will find a way. You can get rid of your guns, and keep the ingrates. You can keep the guns, call up whatever state agency that will take the kids, and sleep easy at night.

There have been times when I have suspected they were not my kids anyway.

Locking up all my guns is a choice I would prefer to make without any influence or interferance from governmental agencies.

As I wrote, Coop, the "one-size-fits-all" approach is a bad idea.

Absolutely not! It is my decision on how my firearms are stored! If I choose not to have a safe, then I am choosing to face whatever consequences may come. I am an adult and that is my right and responsibility. Had this young hero not had access to this firearm, he would most likely be dead.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top