JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A weekend shooting in Arizona involving a 14-year-old might give some people second thoughts about a proposal for mandatory safe storage of firearms here in Washington State.

<broken link removed>

The concept is in court now in SF California, it has be declared unconstitutional in other juristictions (Heller in DC)...no, manditory safe storage is NOT a good thing.

Phoenix Police spokesman James Holmes observed: "The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family...but this young man did exactly what he should have done."

So there ARE still a few wise old law enforcement officers in big cities... Or maybe a new generation that gets it?

When it comes to mandatory safe storage of firearms... no. If I or mine cannot put it to immediate use when faced with a threat, then we might as well be unarmed to begin with. Isn't that really the end goal of this nibble and chisel legislation?

Anything mandated by the government is a bad thing...which is why gun owners should be responsible in the first place and buy a safe and keep guns away from children before they make them mandatory!

Anything mandated by the government is a bad thing...which is why gun owners should be responsible in the first place and buy a safe and keep guns away from children before they make them mandatory!

So you would of prefered the 14 year old didnt get the gun and save his,his sisters and brothers life? I for one am very happy that someone in that family taught there kids how to protect there lifes. I for one would not like to hear that they had died just inches away from protection from a foul criminal. I for one wish more kids could be taught the proper way to use and when to use any tool they could ever need. But I for one would always side with the innocent and not the guilty.

The concept is in court now in SF California, it has be declared unconstitutional in other juristictions (Heller in DC)...no, manditory safe storage is NOT a good thing.

Oddly enough I recall an accidental death of a child about 4 years ago in Roseville, CA. that contradicts the reason for mandating a safe. An off duty officer had left his safe open about 10 feet from the workbench where he was cleaning one of his guns. His daughter (about 4 years old if I recall) wandered over to his safe and fatally shot herself with one of his handguns. Granted the odds of this happening were pretty slim but it did occur and does go to show you that a safe will not stop all accidental child shootings.

Mandatory seatbelts are an atrocity and unconstitutional. Making people lock up anything is just bullying.

If we keep accepting this garbage soon we'll be forced to wear bicycle helmets whenever we leave the house.

There is exactly that.

I wear my seatbelt at all times in a vehicle, even in parking lots. I want to live.

What I don't want to do is be told it's a LAW and that I will be fined money if I don't wear one.

There's a HUGE difference between what people should do and what people should be forced to do.

If you want to drive without one and die, that should be your right.

Seriously??? Why do you think race car drivers all wear seatbelts?

Have you ever seen videos of unbelted people flying around inside their car?

Driver falls asleep at the wheel - YouTube

Well, I guess there is Darwin's law.

This story could have gone the other way. Not the bad guy getting shot, but one of the younger kids messing around with dad's gun and shooting a sibling.
I think having an instant access bio-metric safe bolted down in the parents bedroom and giving the trustworthy fourteen year old accessibility when needed.
Solves both problems.

This story could have gone the other way. Not the bad guy getting shot, but one of the younger kids messing around with dad's gun and shooting a sibling.
I think having an instant access bio-metric safe bolted down in the parents bedroom and giving the trustworthy fourteen year old accessibility when needed.
Solves both problems.

I agree with that. Educate people. Train people. Encourage people.

Kids should be shown what guns are in school. They should go through marksmanship class and learn how to clean, maintain and respect guns. They should be taught what responsible storage is.

We should not be FORCED to store our own guns in a safe.

The point is. Don't make new laws for the sake of making new laws.

There is an equal justification to take away 90% of your freedoms.

You might hurt someone with your words.
Reading how to make a bomb might get some 14 year old killed.
Drinking too much soda might make you fat and die.
Having red cars might make you drive too fast and die.
Loud stereos might make it so you can't hear an ambulance siren.
Revealing clothes might cause drivers to lose concentration and kill someone.
Someone worshiping a different god than you might endanger your immortal soul.
Staring into the sun might make you blind.
Going too long without sleep can lead to insanity and death.

Let people live their lives.

Mankind has managed to live this long without someone telling them how to take a poop.

There is exactly that.

I wear my seatbelt at all times in a vehicle, even in parking lots. I want to live.

What I don't want to do is be told it's a LAW and that I will be fined money if I don't wear one.

There's a HUGE difference between what people should do and what people should be forced to do.

If you want to drive without one and die, that should be your right.

Thank you for not taking it personally. I didn't mean it as an attack on you.

As for people doing dumb things, I think there should be a "STUPID" fine. If you get in an accident, and you're not wearing a seatbelt, BAM, $1000. Accident while texting? Another $1000. If you rob or attack someone, and get hurt in the process, then YOU pay all expenses, legal and otherwise.

In other words, take responsibility for your own actions.

Just my :s0159: worth.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top