JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So since I've started to reload 223 and 308 I was looking at doing my own 9mm rounds for target shooting. After looking at rough costs it really seems cost prohibited to reload 9mm as the savings is really just pennies from what I estimate. And by pennies my rough estimate is about 4cents per round. With 308 im saving about 1.75rd as I'm loading match rounds.

Looking for honest thoughts and opinions.

So since I've started to reload 223 and 308 I was looking at doing my own 9mm rounds for target shooting. After looking at rough costs it really seems cost prohibited to reload 9mm as the savings is really just pennies from what I estimate. And by pennies my rough estimate is about 4cents per round. With 308 im saving about 1.75rd as I'm loading match rounds.

Looking for honest thoughts and opinions.

Buy factory while it's dirt cheap and save the brass.

Buy components to load later when the prices go wonky next year.

Just my 2¢

There's more than just the monetary savings. If a feller enjoys reloading, then it's cheap entertainment. My time is also valuable, so the savings is not worth my time to reload 9mm ball ammo.

Hollow points that would otherwise be more than double the cost to reload, yes. It's possible to reload a lot of hollow point brands for about the same cost as store bought ball ammo. Brass Ball ammunition when it can be bought for .16 per round on sale, no - however - as others have noted, saving the brass in a bucket will eventually pay off when ammo prices inevitably spike due to political timing/action, or in simply saying that you have a bucket of brass and will sell it for X amount to those who reload.

We are buying at these prices. It is easy to burn through a couple hundred rounds at the range. We still keep the brass. We also stock up on primers with Bi-Mart prices and availability.

I'm with the people that say 'buy cheap, stack it deep, keep your brass and buy components (now) for later'. I agree defensive pistol practice with HPs can be done more affordably with reloads. That stuff is a premium. You can usually get 100 projectiles of Gold Dots or XTP's for about what you'd pay for a box of 50-round LE/Tactical HPs (or some high-end 20-round) boxes of loaded ammo.

One area I don't see mentioned in topics like this that is worth considering:

If you're in an event or situation where you can't collect your brass, say a training class, you might want to get cheaper steel-cased or aluminum-cased ammo if your gun runs it fine. Alternatively, you could use your cheaper lower-powder reloads for that since you're probably just mag-dumping and hitting paper at 3-7 yards if it's most defensive pistol type classes. Don't need the velocity (or usually the accuracy or consistency in those situations) so don't need as much powder. 2-300 rounds for a class can take awhile to make on a single-stage press though, so for me it wasn't worth my time. If you have a progressive press, maybe that's 1-2 hours of work for you, depending on your setup.

If I had to do it over again, I might have gone the steel-cased route. I went through one of those 1000-round CCI cases I got last year during the 'load your gun and load your wallet' rebates for I think $169+shipping off SGAmmo and plowed through it in 3 classes (plus some practice in between, so I might have reclaimed 50-100 cases out of it). I was saddened to see all that brass on the floor.

You don't say what type of projectiles you're using either. Powdered or plated projectiles can sometimes be sufficient for your purposes, and are relatively cheap in bulk. Don't know if you care, but they can be handy if you are looking to run 124gr or 147gr vs. 115gr that you typically find in factory ammo.

If you pay 17 cents per around and can reload for 13 cents. (17-4=13)
You save 23.5% or so. (4/17 = .235) (excluding labor and tools)

And those that choose to save .04/round and spend say 4 hours reloading 1000 rounds are "paying" themselves $10/hour to reload. Progressive press and other tools purchased notwithstanding.

My time is worth more than that. Just saying.

There's more than just the monetary savings. If a feller enjoys reloading, then it's cheap entertainment. My time is also valuable, so the savings is not worth my time to reload 9mm ball ammo.

I have a stockpile of 9mm and also reload. I keep all of my brass. When I need a catharsis I reload 9mm, which also will benefit me later if 9mm ammo gets expensive or disappears from the store shelves again. Then I'll know what I'm doing if I have to reload 9mm (brass, powder, dies, etc). Bullets are so far available online and I have a stockpile of those as well.

I was taught from a kiddo to "always have a backup plan". ;)

Buy factory while it's dirt cheap and save the brass.

Buy components to load later when the prices go wonky next year.

Just my 2¢

This ^^ is a good way to look at it.

My outlook is that making the ammo is as enjoyable, or more so, than shooting it, for me. I have the time. There's a Zen, meditative, quality to the time I spend loading. Simplistically, I think it's cool as hell having a bunch of high explosives/primers/projectiles and manufacturing my own ammunition! :s0055:

If your life is busy to the point that you barely have time to get to a range and do some blasting from time to time then nope, loading your own 9mm probably wouldn't be worth it.

I might suggest that if you have the funds you should get a RCBS kit (or other comparable set), and get dies, brass, powder/primers and projectiles NOW for .308. I've seen what they charge for that! :s0077: If you learn to load one caliber, and gather components for others then you'll be set if/when the hard times come again.

Perfect replies. Never thought of saving the brass and getting the stuff for later. I can be an idiot sometimes. I did that with 308 and 223 when I knew I was gonna reload. I started saving my brass for 9mm but it never dawned on me to just keep saving it.
I buy factory ammo for the 9 from bimart for about 8$ for a box of 50. I mostly use the 9mm for the wife and teen teaching them how to shoot be safe and to get comfortable with it. When I take them out we usually take 500 to 1000rds. Lately I've been dropping her at the connex box and letting shoot alone while I go to the rifle range to shoot the 308.

Thanks for all the replies.
James

9mm is the work horse for my 3 teens and I. We burn though the stuff. I load for .13 per round with todays numbers. (It changes when I can get components on sale)

Half the time you can pick up more 9mm brass than you shoot at the local ranges. :cool:

Reloading is just part of the shooting experience for me. I know I load a better round than I can buy for what it costs in components. The cost of time and equipment is all separate for me.

I see your in the Berg, If you shoot up at CVSC in Dundee, look for a mid week when law enforcement has done training. 9mm all over the place it looks like gold carpet after the big training days.

While I kind of enjoy rolling my own the fun soon wears off. On stuff like 9mm I can't save enough to make it worth it to me. I buy the stuff by the case from places like SG. Now I do keep a 5 gallon bucket of brass, and have all the stuff I need to roll if there is another panic and I can't buy it for a while. Wise to have all the stuff you need just in case. Something is bound to set off another panic shortage sooner or later and you will be glad you have a back up plan.

Even if you don't reload or plan to, pick up your brass. One piece of brass isn't worth much but a 5 gallon bucket full is a C note or there abouts and is good trade stock.

13¢ if I buy fired brass, 11¢ if I pick some up. That's for Poly coated 145 gr. RN. I use it for general
plinking/practice in a pile of 9mm pistols and a couple of 9mm carbines. Also use it for 9mm minor
in my open guns for Steel Challenge.

Where I really save money is loading Major 9 for USPSA Open guns. 17¢ ea. 115 gr Precision Delta
JHP. I can buy it from a couple of custom loaders--but it's 30-50¢. Between the wife and I we
went through around 18,000 last year--so YES it's well worth reloading!

So this subject has been beat to death in other threads. I reload 9mm, not to save money because at today's prices factory ammo is cheap. I reload for consistency, accuracy and function.

With my preferred load, all my brass drops neatly 2-3 feet behind me and to my right from my G19, very easy to police, no wandering about to collect errant brass.

At current prices, shoot factory, collect the brass and reloading components for leaner times, that's the prudent thing to do. Then when the dems take control again and prices skyrocket, goods are taxed or background checked, you'll have a nice little stash to work with.

Ammo shortages, with the exception of .22 lr have not impacted me, yet...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top