JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Disclaimer; I have no firsthand FFL experience.

If you are primarily looking for write offs, couldn't you forego the FFL and just do the target manufacturing thing? Gotta do product testing, right? Can't do that without guns and ammo. Just seems to me that an FFL invites a lot more scrutiny as well as complication/hassle and cost. Keep your free-state lifestyle free.

This is more or less what I had intended to do, but then toyed with the idea of adding an FFL to do transfers and maybe have a few guns sitting around. I think having a few guns and some ammo on the shelf would help bring folks in even if there was never anything they wanted to buy

What do the laws say about just selling your own guns in a place like that? Maybe just have a list of what you have for sale?
I suppose they would argue you're doing more than just 'enhancing your collection '
But he wondered about doing a second hand store and maybe just letting a few folks know I usually have guns for sale.
Not sure it would fly though

You have the FFL license fee for $90.00 unless it has gone up, your books and finger printing kit $75.00 + - should cover that.
Then your town or city license and you get the sheriffs permission, you are now in business as a dealer. He has to sign his approval every year your license is renewed. I doubt that has changed.
It can be a good thing unless at the end of the year your book keeper says to you, I think you better call this a hobby.
In the mean time I would have a strong insurance policy as you will be considering every person that walks in your store a risk before much time goes by. Then consider an alarm system and surveillance, no matter how small the town someone wants to rob you.
If you make one mistake on the books you get a fine.
It has to make money to be a business, so show a profit if you want to keep your FFL.
Ammunition is cheap.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR