JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
EDIT: this whole situation was my fault. There were no hidden fees, the fee for hitting the carrier is black and white rule #10 that I failed to read! Had I not fired my rifle with NO sights this never would have happened! It's not easy to hit the carrier, it is a considerable distance from the target. Please don't let my situation reflect negatively on Safefire. I sent them an apology email today and received a reply from the owner that shows this is exactly the type of range we need to support! Please if you are on the fence about visiting, because of my situation or not, please go and give it a shot! No pun intended ;-) I highly doubt you will regret it as the facility is high tech, clean and most importantly they truly care about taking care of their customers including difficult ones like myself! Will copy/paste this as another reply to this post just to ensure everyone watching this thread gets to see it. Also huge thank you to all of you that replied and really helped me put this situation in perspective.

Went to safefire today for their event and got to fire a full auto AR with can (Thanks to Brimstone!) was a great experience until the RSO told me he was charging me $50 for hitting the carrier. It didn't damage it beyond scrapping some paint off. No previous warning that hitting the carrier would result in a fee. I only went in the first place because it was $10 to get in and I wanted to test fire my freshly built AR. I told the cashier I wanted to contest the fee and he told me the carrier has a computer inside that cost $5000 and I was lucky it was ONLY a $50 fee. Is this typical of indoor ranges? I feel so ripped off. So my $10 visit could make me liable for a $5000 piece of equipment?! Had I known this before hand I never would have gone.

Last Edited:
I've never heard of a range that does this and I've been to several in states across the country. I would think it's implied as a range owner that your equipment is constantly at risk and measures should be taken against, such as armor plating or just not putting a $5k effing computer in the line of fire????

They have been explicit about damage to the carriers when I first started shooting there. It was probably in the waiver you signed to shoot there.

Also typical liability waivers are to protect them from lawsuits if someone gets hurt incidentally. I don't feel like they provided sufficient warning that hitting the carrier would result in a $50 fee for each hit.

When my BIL and I got there they had a pretty young lady doing some sort of waivers in the downstairs range area
Of course I might have my wires crossed. I was signing up for a membership there:at Safe Fire as well
I initialed a whole bunch of stuff on that form too

I think there was just so much going on there today and being my first time there and my first time shooting my AR it was all kinda rushed even the RSO was super brief with giving me instructions on how to work the carrier machine and the rules. He did say make sure there are no silver streaks on the carrier so I didn't get blamed for hitting it but he didn't say it was a $50 fee for hitting it

Yeah
My first visit was on a slow day and they had an RSO walk me through the rules. It was pretty hectic there
A lot of fun too. My brother in law never shot a full auto before so I got us some 9MM and we shot the AR9. he got a real kick out of that. He was still going on about that when he drove home this evening.

Oh yeah the full auto demo got me in the door definitely one of my bucket list things! Was so awesome and had me feeling like I was on cloud 9 I never even had an interest in bumpstocks nor ever thought I would get to shoot a real full auto rifle so was elated to get the opportunity to. Then the carrier BS completely flipped my mood and was the first time I ended a day shooting with a frowny face..

Did you actually pay?
If you didn't sign any waivers then you shouldn't have had to pay anything Nor could they make you pay.
Sorry you had that issue
I have had nothing but good shooting at Safe Fire but if you didn't sign anything they can't make you pay anything.

He was all like...
F13BED48-6EEA-4A76-BB41-A38D238AACE4.gif

Then the RSO was all like...
69CE52D5-5F41-4708-A705-2BCE77EBA5F4.gif

On a positive note my self built AR cycled beautifully and they didn't red flag me when I did a rapid fire mag dump with my 10/22 like they would have at English pit, probably too busy to notice lol overall a fun day but my problem is the inadequate warning of such a hefty fee for an accident. I believe they should have a sign, and/or verbal warning when they are giving you the run down.

Of course I paid, they withheld my id until I did. Plus not going to pick a fight with a group of armed staff. I paid and filed a complaint with the better business bureau.

I have shot at SafeFire and something like that was mentioned. Look at rule #10 which indicates that the shooter can be financially responsible for any damages. I think that is also true at The Range in Yakima. The outdoor range I go to, may impose a small fine for hitting the target stands.

And I totally understand it. If you break it you buy it that's life. But who the F puts a 5,000 dollar piece of equipment in the firing range and doesn't warn the customer?!

To me or the average Joe it's just a piece of metal that holds the target and follows along the track. Makes no sense to me to have the computer inside it and in harm's way. It should not be so easy to get hit with such a huge liability without adequate warning. Furthermore that's why they have insurance!

On a positive note my self built AR cycled beautifully and they didn't red flag me when I did a rapid fire mag dump with my 10/22 like they would have at English pit, probably too busy to notice lol overall a fun day but my problem is the inadequate warning of such a hefty fee for an accident. I believe they should have a sign, and/or verbal warning when they are giving you the run down.

Good job on the build! I always inform the RSO before I do a mag dump on a new build or upper. I usually get a thumbs up or a thank you in response.

Thank you! Took me a while to complete but I love it! I think it is the perfect balance of cost and quality! Mega arms lower, aero precision lpk w/ polished trigger, psa upper in .223 Wylde 18" barrel and full length mlok hand guard nothing fancy but it's mine!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top