JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if i had no idea, no overview of the rules by staff, didnt sign anything, i wouldnt have paid. thats BS. this is why i shoot on private property 99% of the time. just my .02.

im sorry they snuck that in on you.

While $50 down the tube sucks it could be worse. I'm surprised they didn't have you sign their paperwork, I thought everyone had to do that. They do have armor over their carrier but eventually it'll get beat up if enough rifle rounds hit it. I'm taking my newly purchased AK in there tomorrow so I better make sure I'm hitting good because it's only got the iron sights. I'll probably start at 15 feet just to make sure I'm good before sending it out further.

Hindsight is 20/20 I was overly excited to finally get to shoot it. At least I am willing to admit it and I paid like a grown up should have. I do plan to install iron sights before I take it out again. I wouldn't have shot it outside hence why I went to an indoor range where all rounds would be contained. I take safety very seriously and I am working towards learning and growing as a safe proficient shooter. It still doesn't take away from my point that they need more adequate warning for such a hefty fee. I paid it because I had to, to get my ID back. I have calmed down quite a bit since yesterday and not so annoyed over it. I get that I should have read the rules before hand regardless of if they made me or not. It was my decision to pull the trigger and I really should have known better than to with no sights. I felt terrible and like an idiot for hitting the carrier repeatedly so really bad on both sides of the situation. I have had enough time to think about it and rationalize that I should be held responsible regardless of previous warning. Every gun owner is responsible for the damage they impose when they pull the trigger. I appreciate hearing your opinions about it and really at this point just glad I didn't damage the machine worse. I still hope they do a better job of warning ppl in the future so this doesn't happen to someone else but realistically how much more idiot-proof can it be? I really should have known better than to shoot with no sights and situations like this give all gun owners a bad reputation and just further fuels the gun grabbers agenda which none of us want.

Exactly my point, it didn't damage the carrier beyond scrapping the paint off! Definitely not worth a $50 fine
How do you know the ricochet went into the bullet stop?

If your dog pees on the carpet, do you rub his nose in it or do you just let the dog off. 'Cause you know, not punishing the dog makes the dog think peeing on the carpet is acceptable behavior. Now, is it your fault for not letting the dog out while you were at work, not if you let the dog out before work. Either way you need to rub his nose in it so he learns a lesson, hold your pee or rub your nose in it later.

I hope you understand my analogy.
Who cares what you hit downrange if there are no consequences!

Hindsight is 20/20 I was overly excited to finally get to shoot it. At least I am willing to admit it and I paid like a grown up should have. I do plan to install iron sights before I take it out again. I wouldn't have shot it outside hence why I went to an indoor range where all rounds would be contained. I take safety very seriously and I am working towards learning and growing as a safe proficient shooter. It still doesn't take away from my point that they need more adequate warning for such a hefty fee. I paid it because I had to, to get my ID back. I have calmed down quite a bit since yesterday and not so annoyed over it. I get that I should have read the rules before hand regardless of if they made me or not. It was my decision to pull the trigger and I really should have known better than to with no sights. I felt terrible and like an idiot for hitting the carrier repeatedly so really bad on both sides of the situation. I have had enough time to think about it and rationalize that I should be held responsible regardless of previous warning. Every gun owner is responsible for the damage they impose when they pull the trigger. I appreciate hearing your opinions about it and really at this point just glad I didn't damage the machine worse. I still hope they do a better job of warning ppl in the future so this doesn't happen to someone else but realistically how much more idiot-proof can it be? I really should have known better than to shoot with no sights and situations like this give all gun owners a bad reputation and just further fuels the gun grabbers agenda which none of us want.
:s0101:

Although I think you're a bit harsh on yourself towards the end, just remember your rifle isn't complete without sights next time.

This whole situation was my fault. There were no hidden fees, the fee for hitting the carrier is black and white rule #10 that I failed to read! Had I not fired my rifle with NO sights this never would have happened! It's not easy to hit the carrier, it is a considerable distance from the target. Please don't let my situation reflect negatively on Safefire. I sent them an apology email today and received a reply from the owner that shows this is exactly the type of range we need to support! Please if you are on the fence about visiting, because of my situation or not, please go and give it a shot! No pun intended ;-) I highly doubt you will regret it as the facility is high tech, clean and most importantly they truly care about taking care of their customers including difficult ones like myself! Will copy/paste this as another reply to this post just to ensure everyone watching this thread gets to see it. Also huge thank you to all of you that replied and really helped me put this situation in perspective.

Last Edited:
This whole situation was my fault. There were no hidden fees, the fee for hitting the carrier is black and white rule #10 that I failed to read! Had I not fired my rifle with NO sights this never would have happened! It's not easy to hit the carrier, it is a considerable distance from the target. Please don't let my situation reflect negatively on Safefire. I sent them an apology email today and received a reply from the owner that shows this is exactly the type of range we need to support! Please if you are on the fence about visiting, because of my situation or not, please go and give it a shot! No pun intended ;-) I highly doubt you will regret it as the facility is high tech, clean and most importantly they truly care about taking care of their customers including difficult ones like myself! Will copy/paste this as another reply to this post just to ensure everyone watching this thread gets to see it. Also huge thank you to all of you that replied and really helped me put this situation in perspective.
Nice! Glad to hear that you have ironed it all out. I went by there today and shot my newly acquired SAR1 AK. I had never shot an AK let alone with iron sights so I was a bit worried about where the first rounds would end up. It didn't help my nerves that they were calling up to the front desk that someone at another lane in my bay had struck the carrier. All in all it worked out and I'm glad to have Safefire around. Now if only they'd build a bridge from Gresham to Camas.
20190826_230714.jpg

I don't do indoor ranges these days. But back when I was still working (ages ago), I'd go to one after work in the evening. I don't recall any legal boiler plate re. payment for damages. But they sure should have had it. That place had streaks and bullet holes in the cinderblock walls. One time I was in there, and a guy shot out a fluorescent light fixture hanging from the ceiling. They had returning metal target holders, bullet-scarred like crazy. But in fairness, the design was such that the metal frame was fairly close to the paper target. This is no joke, they had to close this place down temporarily while they repaired exposed structural steel I-beams that held the roof up. Those too had been shot many times and were holed.

The problem with this indoor range was that the so-called RSO was actually a retail clerk. Whose back was to the range most of the time, very little direct observation of activity on the range. The cowboy-like behavior of some of the night time shooters is mainly what stopped me going there. In my opinion, there was an element of danger. The place is under new ownership now but I no longer go. Since I retired, I find other, less desperate ways to get trigger time.

So with all this lack of shooter safety going on, it brings into question how well this establishment was doing on controlling lead exposure on the range. I remember the big stink that went on at Wade's in Bellevue over this issue. That place was full of lead dust. Then when lead abatement people came in, the contractor didn't protect his workers and some of them came up with elevated levels in their blood. The indoor range I was referring to did have an exhaust fan and it got pretty cold in there during the winter, so it had that much going for it.

One of the outdoor ranges where I'm a member charges five dollars if you shoot up one of their 1x3 furring strip target holders. It's loosely enforced.

Gun range premises can be expected to incur some physical damage just from the nature of the activity itself. To place the burden of repair expense on users is something that the users themselves have to assess as reasonable or not. If they don't like it, they don't have to shoot there.

I paid because it was the right thing to do. I damaged their equipment and took accountability regardless of if they forced me to read the rules or not. It was my own fault for not having sights on my rifle. Also you pay for the range time at the end of the visit so would have been theft of service, not like I am going to risk criminal charges over it. Please tell me that is not the only thing you took away from this whole thread is dodging paying for damages caused by me and just getting a new id. Plus the situation is resolved. /Thread

Damn, different time and climate surrounding ranges now! They have a pretty good ventilation system and seemed to have pretty good policies for controlling lead exposure. I actually asked if it was ok to bring in my Arizona ice tea (unopened)really just worried about spills/slip hazard but the RSO said no open drinks due to the potential lead exposure and they had a good ventilation system but OSHA blah blah.... Anyway at this point I can't wait to go back! Really no unreasonable rules in my opinion.

I don't do indoor ranges these days. But back when I was still working (ages ago), I'd go to one after work in the evening. I don't recall any legal boiler plate re. payment for damages. But they sure should have had it. That place had streaks and bullet holes in the cinderblock walls. One time I was in there, and a guy shot out a fluorescent light fixture hanging from the ceiling. They had returning metal target holders, bullet-scarred like crazy. But in fairness, the design was such that the metal frame was fairly close to the paper target. This is no joke, they had to close this place down temporarily while they repaired exposed structural steel I-beams that held the roof up. Those too had been shot many times and were holed.

The problem with this indoor range was that the so-called RSO was actually a retail clerk. Whose back was to the range most of the time, very little direct observation of activity on the range. The cowboy-like behavior of some of the night time shooters is mainly what stopped me going there. In my opinion, there was an element of danger. The place is under new ownership now but I no longer go. Since I retired, I find other, less desperate ways to get trigger time.

So with all this lack of shooter safety going on, it brings into question how well this establishment was doing on controlling lead exposure on the range. I remember the big stink that went on at Wade's in Bellevue over this issue. That place was full of lead dust. Then when lead abatement people came in, the contractor didn't protect his workers and some of them came up with elevated levels in their blood. The indoor range I was referring to did have an exhaust fan and it got pretty cold in there during the winter, so it had that much going for it.

One of the outdoor ranges where I'm a member charges five dollars if you shoot up one of their 1x3 furring strip target holders. It's loosely enforced.

Gun range premises can be expected to incur some physical damage just from the nature of the activity itself. To place the burden of repair expense on users is something that the users themselves have to assess as reasonable or not. If they don't like it, they don't have to shoot there.
Your anecdote reminds me of all that is wrong with some of the gun owners out there. Being a cowboy isn't going to get anyone singing your praises these days. Reckless behavior just puts everyone at risk and when the business decides to tighten up the rules everyone else suffers those consequences as well.

Safefire is by far the classiest range I've visited and it makes me realize that you can have a little class and tact as a gun owner and don't have to be Yosemite Sam. The RSOs are almost always friendly there but they're attuned to safety and correcting people if they're employing less than optimal habits at the firing line. This makes me feel a lot better shooting there as well. Wish they had more Safefires around.

Yeah a bridge from Gresham to camas would be awesome but a whole other topic and unfortunately would be so much red tape as far as who would pay for it just look at the i5 bridge bs and now Oregon is looking to put in tolls... Just a nightmare!

They really are a great range. The RSO promptly stopped me from shooting the AR, I only got a few rounds off and he was actually really nice about it. Showed me I was hitting the carrier and seen I had no sights and politely asked me to put it away until I get sights on it. Also they showed the ppl next to me proper grip and shooting technique so they are more than willing to help everyone get better and stay safe!

Yeah a bridge from Gresham to camas would be awesome but a whole other topic and unfortunately would be so much red tape as far as who would pay for it just look at the i5 bridge bs and now Oregon is looking to put in tolls... Just a nightmare!

They really are a great range. The RSO promptly stopped me from shooting the AR, I only got a few rounds off and he was actually really nice about it. Showed me I was hitting the carrier and seen I had no sights and politely asked me to put it away until I get sights on it. Also they showed the ppl next to me proper grip and shooting technique so they are more than willing to help everyone get better and stay safe!
I've heard that Washington was all on board several years ago to start bridge construction but it was Oregon who was stalling the project and eventually put the idea down. No surprise there, Oregon has a way of finding much less useful ways of spending our tax dollars. Anyhow, I digress. It's definitely worth the 25 to 30 minute drive for me. I usually have to go early or really late before closing or I'm looking at heavy traffic over the Glen Jackson bridge.

Well the purchasing power of a dollar is less than 4 cents so 50 dollars may sound like a lot but it's all about nominal confusion lol.
But 50 dollhairs for chipping the paint off? They should have used some common since. Ok sir you did a no no, we'll charge for a can of spray paint etc....if you do it again, blah blah blah.

I only go shooting at the english pit or Rich's gun shop close to woodburn. I'd go to browns camp but I don't wanna off road my Mustang lol. Just driving to work, on the crappy streets is off roading enough.

Driving on the moon hahahaha but I digress.

I can't stand the way Oregon taxes work. They tax Washington residents that work in Oregon yet don't provide them with the one service their taxes should be going towards- safe roads and infrastructure to travel to and from their jobs! It's totally unconstitutional taxation without representation!

Anyway back to the carrier thing, what looks like superficial scratches could actually be rattling the computer components lose with each impact. It's $5000 to replace plus the lost revenue by the lane being closed until the repair is done. But like I said it's not easy to hit the carrier! If you are a halfway decent shooter trying to hit the target and paying attention to where your rounds are going, it's not going to be an issue.

Last Edited:
The carrier is like a foot above the Target and the target itself is held by a cardboard piece. Really to hit the carrier is not easy if you're actually trying to hit the target. I have exchanged messages with the owner and they don't take charging the fee lightly. In my situation I hit it at least 5 times (due to the lack of any sights on my AR) before realizing it and they only charged me for 1. They are really reasonable about it especially for new shooters and will help them get better so it doesn't happen again. It's not like it's a scheme to make more money like any business they expect a certain amount of damage as 'the cost of doing business'

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top