JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can it be done safely? Yes, probably. But it's such an unpleasant place I wouldn't bother unless I had some sort appointment that required me to go.

Last Edited:
Portland used to be a fun place to be. Spent many pleasant hours in Powell's, or watched some foreign movies, or had a nice dinner. Now I find it dirty and depressing, filled with azzholes. No, thanks...

I still need to go to downtown for business now and then.

Before this whole mess, I was comfortable carrying my P365 or P938. Now, I will not go downtown without anything less than my P229 or P320 Xcarry, both with high cap spare mags.

It is better to have extra rounds you may never need, than need extra rounds you do not have.

As I do not live anywhere near downtown Portland , or have reason to go there...
Take the following with a large salt shaker.

With that said....
What are you actually asking , by walk around...?
Do you have a reason to go to downtown Portland or is this trip not really necessary..?
If you have an actual reason , for going , then go...
Pay a bit more attention to what is going on around you...do your business and then leave.
If the trip is not really needed ...then I don't see a reason to go.

Now with that said...
I do not like having my life or movements curtailed....
This is America , I do not need to provide a reason to go to a public area.
But this needs to be coupled with the notion , that just 'cause one can do something.....does not mean that one should do something.
Commonsense needs to be used....If I go to downtown Portland...It would probably be best to avoid certain areas and times...do what I need to do and head on out.

Again I do not like to have to adjust my time 'cause some knuckle heads feel the need to riot...
But then I have seen enough excitement in my life that I also don't need to seek it out.
Andy
Portland is NOT America. Its become antifa run bubblegumhole. Never go to portland. Spend your money elsewhere.

It's fine - a statement of relativity. Like every city, situational awareness is key.
Like most places, it's tribal in a way. One neighborhood could be OK, the next one very dangerous.
An acquaintance lives over in the 23rd area and she says much of the shops in that area and the Pearl are boarded up for now to avoid potential rioting/looting -- even though nothing has happened in those areas thus far. Neighborhood bistros and small eating places are still open.
Don't mind the LGBQT crowd, the homeless, the perverts or the attitudinal. Most of them are like everyone else - in their own head, imprisoned by their own thoughts, drama and problems. If someone is going to get in your face, you're going to know with plenty of warning if you maintain awareness.
The ones who mean you harm are not overt, and unless you have a sense about you for these things, it's just as unsafe as most other cities, though a lot mellower and less dangerous than the early 90's.
If you aren't comfortable with weird, don't go. I've seen a lot of weird schtuff in many cities, and some of the weirdest has been in Portland. Most cities, you can see seedy stuff if you go to the right areas. In Portland, it can happen anywhere. People shagging, guys choking the chicken in public, people wearing full BDSM gear, leashes and schtuff. I don't think I'll ever get used to so many guys in drag during business hours. Friggin' weird.
Oh, and watch out for the militant bicyclists.

I'm kinda confused by the question. "Is it safe to walk around Portland?"

Why the hell would you want to? I try not to spend any money within the city limits. Hell I drive 205 around to avoid it. I don't want that city getting one penny of my money.

Portland is NOT America. Its become antifa run bubblegumhole. Never go to portland. Spend your money elsewhere.
Not sure why you quoted me...
As I was answering the OP's question of :
"Is it safe to to travel to downtown Portland and walk around now? "
Which is his question and not mine.

With that said...

While I do not like ANTIFA , the mayor of Portland or many of the city's polices....
Portland is still part of America....
To write of a city , because of a dislike of what goes on there as no longer being America , is to grant victory to very things that one dislikes.

America is filled with many things that I like and agree with...
Lots of America however , is made of things that I disagree with or dislike...
Its still all of America.
Its easy to say something is a "bubblegumhole"...
The difficult work is the work to make it a better place....difficult for sure , but worthwhile.
Andy

Portland used to be a fun place to be. Spent many pleasant hours in Powell's, or watched some foreign movies, or had a nice dinner. Now I find it dirty and depressing, filled with azzholes. No, thanks...

This ^ pretty much sums up how I feel about the place. After living within 60 short city block of the center of PDX for 36.5 years.

Statistically speaking it's no more or less dangerous than it was last week, last month or last year.

This ^ is mostly true I think. The people of Portland have changed. They aren't the same, friendly, accepting of everyone they used to be though. "Filled with A-Holes" is pretty much on target. Oh, if you want to get a free show and see the bizarre, the beautiful, deeply depressing, clean, disgustingly filthy, you'll see it. Notice all the cell phone zombies. The smells of the city of Portland from food trucks and carts en mass, to the smells of urine and feces in the entryways of empty buildings. Having to fend off the homeless people asking for money. And I would think going NOW, not in a couple of weeks, you could see fresh graffiti from the recent protests/riots.

Wifey and I used to do the transit to PDX and walk/bus/Maxx around downtown once in awhile. It's been a couple of years now though and I don't think I care to do it again. I don't need to see what this formerly cool city has degraded to. It's certainly cheaper than going to the ZOO!

I can't watch that without feeling sick.:( What pigs these people are. And, decent people that stand there while those around them destroy a once beautiful city are pigs too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top