JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I loaded some 223 this evening in a progressive. Loading max charge 25g benchmark I have had no issues or pressure signs. I added more powder to the powder reservoir and didn't weigh the charge after that. After I loaded roughly 50 rounds I did a check and was at 25.8g. So I'm .8g past max recommended load. Is this safe to shoot? I've loaded quite a ways past max plenty of times but that's in small increments and seating bullet long. My gut says I'm fine to shoot these but looking for thoughts?

Your gut says it's fine...how do your fingers and eyes feel about it? Your gut will be okay. :cool:

I have some 223 loads that are now over max because the loading data has reduced the max charge over the years but agree with you, these loads were built up slowly and chronographed. I have no experience with Benchmark but if you want some rando dude on the internet's $.02 worth of opinion, I would most likely pull them. I tend to lean cautious at the reloading bench.

The few minutes to pull the bullets on 50 will cost how much in time?

Now consider the time it takes to go to the ER, or to have surgery, recovery, PT etc?

Just sayin'!

I am not familiar with benchmark, but there are many powders and accompanying load data where just 4 to 5 tenths of a grain separate a starting load from a maximum one. Considering you are almost a full grain over max, I would definitely pull them!

Some Qs: How long have you been loading? Did you start with a progressive? Do you have a single stage press? Far less likely to occur if you develop the habit of weighing every 10th charge on your scale. So a single stage is slower. Well...consider how slow the progressive made you over only 50 rounds.

Points to ponder. Anyway, I would call the powder company and give them your charge, the brass and bullet and primer. I imagine they will point you to a bullet puller, which is a necessary reloading tool for us mere mortals.

Your gut says it's fine...how do your fingers and eyes feel about it? Your gut will be okay. :cool:

I have some 223 loads that are now over max because the loading data has reduced the max charge over the years but agree with you, these loads were built up slowly and chronographed. I have no experience with Benchmark but if you want some rando dude on the internet's $.02 worth of opinion, I would most likely pull them. I tend to lean cautious at the reloading bench.
When I say my gut says it's ok is because I have exceeded the book max load many times. I have always worked up little bits at a time to do so, but I have personally never seen an issue under 1 grain of powder. I'm looking for "internet opinion" more to see if anyone has ever had a wreck by going over by this much

Hand Loading is fun and relaxing but there are some vitally important rules. Your safety procedures detected a potential problem. I would pull the bullets, collect the powder and start over.

Some Qs: How long have you been loading? Did you start with a progressive? Do you have a single stage press? Far less likely to occur if you develop the habit of weighing every 10th charge on your scale. So a single stage is slower. Well...consider how slow the progressive made you over only 50 rounds.

Points to ponder. Anyway, I would call the powder company and give them your charge, the brass and bullet and primer. I imagine they will point you to a bullet puller, which is a necessary reloading tool for us mere mortals.
I have been loading a long time. I have 3 presses I use single and progressive. My powder charger with micrometer is usually spot on so I haven't been checking quite as often as I should. I have routines I stick with but I should've checked as I usually do. I have a bullet puller but my main issue is these got mixed in my ammo can. I could weigh all the cartridges to try to find them but... I think what I'll do is start working a load up to this and cautiously see if I have signs of pressure

My general rule of thumb is if you have to ask you should pull.

Obviously a giant PITA especially as I only have an impact puller, but to date I have never regretted it

I appreciate the feedback. I know better than to load that many rounds without checking the powder charge but got a little too comfortable. The charge has always been so accurate and I had checked 10 times while loading these and it was spot on every time but then I added more powder and filled more than usual. I suppose the extra weight started letting more get through

Re-filling the hopper is the time to re-check the charge weight. But, you know that now. I am looking into a Davidson or GRIP-N-PULL plier type puller, as they seem to be the simplest and quickest to use.

EDIT: I know of not a single case in which a round failed because it was not loaded to max pressure. 50fps will make absolutely zero difference to 2 or 4 legged adversaries. But, that 50fps may cost you 2000-3000 additional psi, which is much harder on brass and eventually, the gun. You can save pressure, save money and save your cases and gun life by throttling back just a bit.

If you load somewhat shy of the hot side, you have a margin of error and it will still be safe. For a fact, fps and all the rest were unknown until chronographs and other measuring devidces were introduced. Since we now have numbers, there is a natural tendency to "cook the books" on velocity (load pressure).
Not good.

Last Edited:
If its a 55g jacketed, My Lyman 49 reads 25.3 as max for your bench mark powder in a 223, Lee Second edition is 25.6, just .2 away from your "overload" while Hornady is only 24.5 as max??? I think I would work up a few in between that 25.3 and your 25 .8 and look for trouble like normal. (That's my opine) If all is well, shoot them.
My old lyman 46 has loads for my 45-70 intended for Ruger # 1 that are over 10 grains higher than any other modern books, (including Lyman # 49) and at that, I have pushed it by .5 grains without issue using IMR 4198. and ran them through my BFR 45-70 revolver and Marlin 1895SS 20 years ago, and still use a load just barely below it that reads exactly 9.5 grains higher than any new reloading manual out today calls max load, for 350 gr cast lead.
I use IMR 4198 @ 21.7g for my .223 in a mini14 with great results, even though many feel the mini 14 to be a pile of crap. I guess I'm lucky, the mini shoots well enough for me though albeit a little clunky, and honestly, I'll not be entering any bench rest competition with it.

If its a 55g jacketed, My Lyman 49 reads 25.3 as max for your bench mark powder in a 223, Lee Second edition is 25.6, just .2 away from your "overload" while Hornady is only 24.5 as max??? I think I would work up a few in between that 25.3 and your 25 .8 and look for trouble like normal. (That's my opine) If all is well, shoot them.
My old lyman 46 has loads for my 45-70 intended for Ruger # 1 that are over 10 grains higher than any other modern books, (including Lyman # 49) and at that, I have pushed it by .5 grains without issue using IMR 4198. and ran them through my BFR 45-70 revolver and Marlin 1895SS 20 years ago, and still use a load just barely below it that reads exactly 9.5 grains higher than any new reloading manual out today calls max load, for 350 gr cast lead.
I use IMR 4198 @ 21.7g for my .223 in a mini14 with great results, even though many feel the mini 14 to be a pile of crap. I guess I'm lucky, the mini shoots well enough for me though albeit a little clunky, and honestly, I'll not be entering any bench rest competition with it.
Older manuals, published before pressure testing was as common or refined as today, offer some pretty stout loads. Speer #8, IIRS, showed 1200 fps for a 240 cast in .44 Spl, 1330 fps with a 200 in .45 Auto Rim! Very, very stout. Oddly, my 1978 Lyman Handgun manual (Lyman is usually very conservative) has the lowly .32 S&W Long pushing a 115 gr cast bullet at 1100 fps - .38 special territory.

Yet, the universal signs of high pressure must always be watched for, despite the load level or gun used.

Define: SAFE

I mean that.......
The book......had/has......a level of "safety" in mind, when they published.

Exceed it......at your own risk and/or peril.

Darwin Rules and no one likes being sued.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads