JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello there, this may be a really stupid question, but I am wondering if it is possible to reline an old Ithaca flues shotgun. It seems pretty solid mechanically but the bores are pitted very badly. I considered backboring it but those old doubles have pretty thin walls as it is. Would it be possible to run the reamer all the way down the length and then turn a blank and line it as you would a rim fire? Another thought was to see if I couldn't have it fitted for 20 ya barrels. Is that even possible? Thanks for your help!

A few years ago I had a rolling block that was a .38 rimfire converted to .357 Mag with a barrel liner from TJ's. The liner provides enough reinforcement that the rifle has held up very well shooting modern magnum pistol cartridges in an antique black powder rifle. The gunsmith drilled out the old octagon barrel to .625" to accommodate the .357" liner. The same could be done for an old shotgun if you can find a liner for it. I would call TJ's and ask.

Wow I bet that turned out pretty cool! Thanks for the tip maybe I'll check it out when I finish up some if these other projects. I'd love to see a picture to see how that turned out! Thanks again!

How hard was moving the firing pin from rim fire to center fire on the rolling block?

He welded up all the holes in the breech block, and then he drilled a new hole for the firing pin and made a new, small diameter firing pin for the center fire cartridges. I say "all the holes" because someone somewhere along the way had re-drilled the firing pin hole so it came out in the center fire position, then bent the original firing pin to follow the new hole. I think they were shooting .38 spc cartridges in it about 1930 or so. Here's a picture of it with the block open. You can't tell there's a liner there.

RRBRestore-ChamberOpensm.jpg

Last Edited:
If your only concern is pitting, I'd test the pattern before I did anything. For a lot of shotguns a cruddy bore doesn't matter a bit. If your concern is strength (cast steel or Damascus-twist) then that's a different story.

On the other hand, if you can find someone to make your Ithaca look like that rolling block, do it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top