JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I finished up building my first AR, and was looking for another project.. My next purchase is more than likely going to be a S&W M&P 9C. I thought it might be fun to build it from parts.
I've done a little research on it and I can't seem to find any places (online or otherwise) that sell "parts", only whole units.

Is this a fools quest? Am I just better off buying it whole?

Any advice is appreciated =)

In theory you could but for a standard firearm like that it i going to cost more then the complete unit and as you found out semi hard to get all the individual parts..........

So I finished up building my first AR, and was looking for another project.. My next purchase is more than likely going to be a S&W M&P 9C. I thought it might be fun to build it from parts.
I've done a little research on it and I can't seem to find any places (online or otherwise) that sell "parts", only whole units.

I would bet it would be cheaper in long to purchase whole and tear it down. You could then sell off unneeded parts.

See if you really need the 9C. It does everything OK, but nothing truly great.

The full-size M&P is a better home and range gun - it has a beaver tail, the barrel is an inch longer (slightly better accuracy). Some people using 9 C.O.R.E. are saying they will never go back to iron sights, so consider that as well.

The Shield is better for concealed carry.

Hhhhmmmm that is a huge matter of opinion and the reason so many different guns are made. I love my M&Pc, and I hate compact guns. Even worse then most compact guns is the shield. I had a chance to fondle one this spring and could not figure out what the big deal was. It feels horrible in my hand.

Prior to getting my M&Pc I never found a compact gun that fit me. For the minimal size difference between most compacts and their full size it was not worth the trade off for me. Guy at the gun store handed me an M&Pc and I even told him I didn't like compacts as I was taking it. Well that afternoon I walked out with it and it has been my primary gun since. That has been about 4 years now.

With hand guns it is really about how it fits the operator. The best gun in the world is no good if it does not fit well.

I've owned both the full size and the compact before, and will hopefully own a compact again soon. For some reason beyond logic, I shot the compact better than the full size or my Glock 19. I've got somewhat small hands and with the smallest palm swell installed it just fits perfect, much better than any I've ever handled. I'm trying to stay disciplined to not trade my Glock for one.

I have small hands too. I figured it would be a better fit for me. But who knows, I might change my mind once I get my hands on it.

Try all three: the compact, full-size, and 5-inch version (9L or C.O.R.E). The weight is mostly similar, the main difference is in the balance (and the beaver tail).

I like the way the compact looks the best - it is very symmetrical. The grip on the FS looks too slim, too extended and therefore unnatural on pictures, better in reality. I have large hands so the shortened grip of the compact felt weird - as if it somebody took the FS and cut half its grip off diagonally, leaving the last finger to grasp the air.

Obviously, the compact is concealable; the question is whether you will find it comfortable enough to carry concealed.

For folks that prefer the full size, NO thumb safety (I actually like the safety), the best value is the "Carry and range kit". It comes with a case, three 17-round magazines, and Uplula/Maglula fast loader. For folks that want something radically new, I would recommend checking out the C.O.R.E. with some nice red dot.

Yes, this can be done. The only FFL item is the lower (frame) and you can get the rest of the parts through midway and Speed Shooter Specialties. I did see an frame for sale at 44mag for $200.00

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top