JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It depends on the twist rate of your barrel. It won't harm the gun either way, just affect accuracy. The twist will be stamped into the barrel next the caliber markings. If it is a mil spec M4 the twist rate will be 1:7, which will stabilize up to 75gr. Another common rate is 1:9, which may or may not stabilize 75gr but will be ok up to 69gr.

I will say don't underestimate 55gr M193 inside of 150m. Another benefit of this round is that it's cheap enough to actually run several hundred through your gun to ensure reliability and understand firing characteristics.

That being said, I run 75gr OTM through my 1:7 for home defense.

Grain weight the gun will shoot best is determined by twist rate of the rifling. At home def distances this isnt as important. If you want 100 or 200 yard accuracy use whats right for the gun.

Fyi if your gun likes 55 grain theres lots of options. I have a couple mags of ballistic tip 55 grain hornady TAP in my hd gun. Remington also makes jhp and jsp (soft point) 45 or 55 grain loads. Most makers of defensive rounds offer 55 grain loads.

Thanks for all the replies I figured that when I googled it on my own and read several articles. That's the whole point of the forum to reach out to others for additional/reinforcement of knowledge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top