JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it me? I can't believe this happened, any suggestions on what to do. I have a CCL, I am an NRA Instructor, I buy and sell about three or four guns a year, veteran etc. two weeks ago I took my grandson and son to the gun show in Eugene and after walking around for an hour my grandson talked me into buying him a Rossi 22 single shot rifle. So I joined the wild looking guys with cammo and mullets buying the exotic black rifles and filled out the forms and waited. ..... Everyone got approved but me ...it has been two weeks and still no approval. I have called them twice and it sounded like I irritated them, the lady said it could take 30 days and it sounded like she was thinking "what's the matter with you?" people have said they are doing a work slow down because they are trying to raise the fee they charge .... I just don't know what to do from here ..... I just hate the idea of the government telling me I can't buy a little rifle ..or any gun for that matter. ....is there anything I can do? It is so wrong, it just makes me angry!

I would get a hold of my local state Representative and politely raise ****. If the OSP raises fees to $26 or whatever it will have a serious negative impact on the gun business. I suspect that's what they really want.

That makes me mad, that they can tell me I can't buy something for my Grandson, that is not right. You know there are two bills in the legislature right now that would just eliminate them and we could just use the free federal back ground check instead ....we should really work on getting that passed.

I knew a guy, State Correction officer, problem there were one or two people with a name similar to his and B-date who were felons. He always had a heck of a time with approval. I think the state police has a packet or something a person can prepare to expiate those issue. They have combined a lot of data bases, so what was once a simple task, can now be difficult. My wife had a problem because she got married, name change.

Leave it to our politicians to make a simple task complicated as all ****. What was nice, one time if a person had a CHL, they did not have to do a check. Saves the state police time and the buyer money.

I would defiantly follow up on this to find out why you were denied. I mean you cannot just let this go or you could have continuing problems. By contrast my background check on the CZ I bought last week was the shortest I have ever experienced (maybe one minute or two) and no charge..

If you were DENIED, then there is an appeal process that you can follow.

It sounds more like you were placed in PENDING. Neither approved nor denied, but in limbo awaiting a decision.

Been 30 days? You are getting screwed. After THREE days on "pending", they should deliver the gun to you.

Here is the appropriate section from the State of Oregon Instruction Guide for Dealers:

"FFL dealers must follow both state and federal law. The following is a summary of
the requirements regarding release of a firearm prior to or when no approval
number has been provided by the FICS Unit.
• ORS 166.412 (3) (c) If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun
dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of
this subsection before the close of the gun dealer's next business day following the request
by the dealer for a criminal history record check, the dealer may deliver the handgun to the
purchaser.
• Federal law prohibits release of a firearm until after the expiration of three business days,
not counting the day on which the dealer asks OSP to conduct a criminal history record
check, unless the OSP provides an approval number first."

Go get your gun.

"td 1622"----most of my guns -- i'v owned for yrs. , and a lot of my newer stuff has been FTF transactions--firstime i bought a gun and had to go through "BGC" i was denied ?? i asked my ffl --wuz up ? he made a comment (did you move recently,and if so-- use old address) also the name on "ODL" (is it what my real name is ?)we came up with a "NATTA" on "ODL"--real name is (steven) not steve ! middle name is (joseph) not J. ,and last name was ok =even with sr attached a few yrs. ago . reapplied late that afternoon--"BINGO" everything was a go !!!

just my thoughts......steven

"OSP" maintains records of transaction for max. of 90 days !!

And you believe that?

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

they have no reason to keep records any further--the atf now has the records -- when you filled out the sheet ,where do you think it went ? your ffl has all records,and for 20 yrs.

steven

This is why face-to-face private transfers are great.
yup yup

You probably have a relatively common name (I do too) and have gotten hung up on some bureaucratic bullbubblegum.
or have not purchsed a gun through the system in a few years as I had, at my last Official purchase.

OSP wants more money so they are doing a slow down......
and more money gets what??? faster service cause they will hire more people???? yea right

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top