JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There were ranges in schools all across the country. But schools have a job of indoctrinating kids (to be gun haters, among other things), and a rifle range would obviously get in the way of that, so...

There is a remedy: homeschooling.

The now defunct Willamette valley firearms in Hillsboro played that game. They had a half bubblegum bullet trap set up in the garage next to their shop in Hillsboro. Super dangerous and tons of people stopped going there after seeing what they were doing. I am still not sure how even as local pd they could get away with it for as long as they did. That being said at least they are gone now and not endangering people anymore...

Don't know about Oregon law, but let's say law-abiding powers are similar to ours in Ohio... if such, state would leave the issue to local governments...and counties, often to municipalities.
Municipalities often make personal ranges very complex, time-consuming, and expensive, therefore, to be impractical.
I live in a township and have a basement. It isn't illegal. BUT, the trauma when a 223 goes off is hell, pets seize up on an above level, lead splatter, residue all over... and that's just the first shot! Then, I find the range limiting, cleanup much more complex and a lot of "soot" I won't detail how difficult it would be to control lead...P.S :try selling the house after a thorough inspector/appraiser goes through and notes "needs lead testing"....yeah, I have shot mostly 22, some 9mm, but results add up to similar findings, eventually, my half acre is suburban, I carefully take squirrels in the backyard with an Gem tech on my Little Badger, with subsonic target shorts
no one complains, quiet, and the Little Badger barely looks like a horrible, vicious assault rifle...

I found a old post that talks about people putting bullet traps in their basement. I am curious about the legality of such endeavors:

Anyone used a heavy duty bullet trap for testing, etc?
Anyone used a heavy duty bullet trap for testing, etc?

I have searched the forum for a answer to this, but haven't found anything yet. I did look up the City of Portland code-
Chapter 14a.60 reads:
A. It is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm in the City or upon its boundaries.

B. This Section does not apply to:

2. A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery, or other area designed, built, and lawfully operating for the purpose of target shooting;

So would this be completely legal, or just a really dumb idea?
Homepage - UTM Worldwide

This would be legal.

I have a lot from those days. Believe it or not, Portland High Schools used to have competitive rifle teams as part of the athletic program. You could get a letterman jacket for participation just like any other sport. Marshall High (84th & Holgate) had a fairly nice range built right in the basement level of the main school building. As such, they hosted the meets that the teams from the other schools would compete at.

God...it makes me depressed to think of how far down the toilet we have come since those days. You would be arrested to have a gun in a Portland school now.

Now that I think about it, I will try to find one of my old yearbooks that has team photos in it...I'll try to put a photo on here.

I graduated in 2002 from US Grant in Portland, senior year I took advanced physical education... it was credit and that way I didnt have a blank period. Well I was digging thru a closet that had not been used in 30yrs. I had to climb up over the stuff to get into what everone thought was a closet, it was a room full of old p.e. equipment where I found targets!!! So I looked more I found Bows and Arrows!!! I was able to convince the teacher to let the class shoot Arrows on school property. So toward the end of the year the teacher let me pull out all the bows, arrows and targets.I thought it a good idea to go to the track area in the bowl and use the hill as a backstop. But the teacher wanted them in a field with a street and neighborhoods as the backstop, so we did it her way. That day while trying to use 50yr old bows and arrow I heard a kid say" you dare me?" an other kid respond "do it" only to turn and see the kid shoot an arrow staight up in the air towards the neighborhood. The next day a Dean and the security gaurd brought the arrow into our class and they took the bows and arrows to the district office, the last time at US grant for archery. the teacher didnt ask for approval, Not only was it illegal but someone easily could have died. I dont know if all kids are ready to use weapons to learn in a school setting. But that day was awesome. 2002 shooting Arrows on Portland Public school property.

It is certainly illegal in PDX! Neighbor turned us in for shooting a pellet pistol!
My dad was livid! Cops politely said, "Don't do that!" "Don't make us come back!"

It is certainly illegal in PDX! Neighbor turned us in for shooting a pellet pistol!
My dad was livid! Cops politely said, "Don't do that!" "Don't make us come back!"

What year (era :D) might that have been? Inner PDX? I figure you and I are roughly the same age....I grew up in Utah in the Salt Lake valley and BB guns were totally normal. A buddy and I frequently walked down the street with one looking to shoot starlings and sparrows. Never had an issue. We were semi rural though. No way, even in a conservative leaning state, wouldn't get away with doing that now.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads