JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Oregon you just grow it in your house. No permit needed but you can only have a set number of adult plants. You can only have 8 ounces of finished product though. Only 8 ounces. Only 8 ounces. Its still illegal to grow your own weed in Washington unless you stupidly file for a medical card in which case you put your 2nd amendment rights at risk..

In Oregon you just grow it in your house. No permit needed but you can only have a set number of adult plants. You can only have 8 ounces of finished product though. Only 8 ounces. Only 8 ounces. Its still illegal to grow your own weed in Washington unless you stupidly file for a medical card in which case you put your 2nd amendment rights at risk..
My point was that I don't think a single soul gets a license to grow and it is my suspicion that quite a few would be required to if you got right down to it.

That's so awesome! What high school? Care to share any details or memories?

I have a lot from those days. Believe it or not, Portland High Schools used to have competitive rifle teams as part of the athletic program. You could get a letterman jacket for participation just like any other sport. Marshall High (84th & Holgate) had a fairly nice range built right in the basement level of the main school building. As such, they hosted the meets that the teams from the other schools would compete at.

God...it makes me depressed to think of how far down the toilet we have come since those days. You would be arrested to have a gun in a Portland school now.

Now that I think about it, I will try to find one of my old yearbooks that has team photos in it...I'll try to put a photo on here.

So, I have a pressure testing rig in my shop, and regularly test fire guns and ammo in there. I have a backstop made of wet sand and pea gravel. I don't have a HEPA filter, but I do shoot in a box that has a large fume extractor that pulls air down the "range" and out. It does have filters on it, but nothing as fancy as a hepa unit. I also use the same system to clear grinder and tumbler dust.

I can't speak to the legality of it, but I'm in a heavy industrial zone, the noise I make shooting guns is way less than the foundary and forge next door who make it feel like there's a T-Rex doing the two-step outside.

God...it makes me depressed to think of how far down the toilet we have come since those days. You would be arrested to have a gun in a Portland school now.

I had no idea competition shooting, let alone indoor ranges at public schools could ever be possible. I am 40 years old, and have never even heard of such a thing. I will definitely be sharing this with my son.
It seems these traditions may have been drowned out to my awareness by the overwhelming fear of losing my very basic rights of gun ownership.

When I was a kid we used to shoot revolvers in the garage using paraffin bullets and a magnum primer for power. We'd buy the canning wax that comes in sheets that are about 3"x5" and about 1/2" thick. Just tap the primered case through the wax to load the case with a wax "wadcutter".

Now? I dropped $130 on a gas powered, blow back, all metal airsoft pistol that matches my Glock 19. I can practice realistic tactics and shooting in my own home using small cardboard boxes for targets. Stuff newspaper in them. Really great practice clearing corners and rooms in MY house. Fun, too, and cheap as hell to shoot. Last tactical pistol class I took over the summer it made a huge difference. I was shooting on par with some of the instructors instead of my friends. Everyone noticed.

John

DSC_5960.JPG

'73 Franklin High Varsity rifle team. One of the kids recently retired as a Captain at a local PD.
DSC_5963.JPG
IIRC..The girl was one of the best shots. She was constantly getting hit on, not just because she was the only girl...but also because her dad bought her the best gun on the team...:rolleyes:

This reminds me of the days when there was a 10 lane .22 rifle range inside of a Portland high school. Does anyone else remember it ?
That's so awesome! What high school? Care to share any details or memories?
I have a lot from those days. Believe it or not, Portland High Schools used to have competitive rifle teams as part of the athletic program. You could get a letterman jacket for participation just like any other sport. Marshall High (84th & Holgate) had a fairly nice range built right in the basement level of the main school building. As such, they hosted the meets that the teams from the other schools would compete at.

Now that I think about it, I will try to find one of my old yearbooks that has team photos in it...I'll try to put a photo on here.

I'm a Marshall HS graduate. I believe the shooting range was under the library, but it was shut down YEARS before I inflicted myself on the place.

I'm a Marshall HS graduate. I believe the shooting range was under the library, but it was shut down YEARS before I inflicted myself on the place.

Too bad. I was from Franklin and we would be over there every Wednesday night in the early 70's. We kept the rifles in lockers that our coach had keys for. We would take the bolts home.

Last Edited:
Too bad. I was from Franklin and we would be over there every Wednesday night in the early 70's.

I'm not surprised that gal on the team was the best shot, as an Army Drill Sgt I saw females consistently get higher scores than the males (who think of boobies every 3-6 seconds). I'm sure her "constantly getting hit on" was also because she looks pretty cute in the photo... for a 70's chick. ;)

I used to shoot 22 rifle practice and competition in the dirt floor basement of Hillsboro High school. I had Herman Boles, machinist and inventor of the Boyles peep sight, install and sight in my 22 when I was a kid, he used an old railroad tie up against a tree as a back stop for sighting in. This was off Allen avenue near Hall in Beaverton. Old man Summers daily shot his 22 (albeit bird shot) at the crows and squirrels in his nut and fruit trees just across the street from us near Beaverton High school. More recently I had a 22 barrel relined by a retired machinist in Vancouver who used a small stump in his basement to test the 22 pistol. But he was my age.

I'm not surprised that gal on the team was the best shot, as an Army Drill Sgt I saw females consistently get higher scores than the males (who think of boobies every 3-6 seconds). I'm sure her "constantly getting hit on" was also because she looks pretty cute in the photo... for a 70's chick. ;)

Ya... that was the other reason that I remember, we called them permanent recoil pads. Her dad was a Marine DI.

View attachment 326070

'73 Franklin High Varsity rifle team. One of the kids recently retired as a Captain at a local PD.
View attachment 326071
IIRC..The girl was one of the best shots. She was constantly getting hit on, not just because she was the only girl...but also because her dad bought her the best gun on the team...:rolleyes:
The pictures remind me of my HS yearbook, minus the guns. We really dressed like that and had hair and glasses like that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top