Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Is it legal to have a handgun with a 16.25" barrel in WA state?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by os2chinchilla, Feb 10, 2012.

1. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla REDMOND New Member

I was looking at the mech tech basic ccu conversion for a glock (MechTech - Glock). The conversion includes a 16.25" barrel and no stock. Is it legal for me to assemble the ccu with a glock frame to create a handgun with a 16.25" barrel and no stock? Is it considered a handgun/pistol or a rifle?

MechTech - FAQ's

Barrel:

- 16.25 in Stainless Steel
    - Button Rifled - 1 Turn in 16" Right Hand Twist - all Models and all Calibers

Overall Length:

Fixed Stock:
    33.29 in
    Telescoping Stock:
    Min. 24.92 in; Max. 33.42 in
    M4 Style Stock
    Min. 29.25 in; Max. 32.38 in

2. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

If there is no stock it is considered a pistol I believe. I don't think the ATF is concerned with long barreled pistols. What they are after is short barreled rifles, so no stock = no rifle.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

No limit on the barrel length.Looked into it with an AR pistol.
    But a 20" upper on a pistol AR would look kinda silly and hard to conceal

4. os2chinchilla

os2chinchilla REDMOND New Member

Ah, I just reread the law and noticed the OR (previously I thought it was an AND)...

RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined. :

(13) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

16" barrel OR fired with one hand

So doesn't state a limit on barrel length,since the statement would mean a firearm with a barrel length of under 16" would have to be configured as a pistol,or any firearm that is designed to shoot with one hand ,at any barrel length.

Did I win?