JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the Oregon police officer I talked to today did not say anything a bout a new system that takes 20 minutes to check a person out. Maybe they are using morse code for you guys out in the middle of nowhere.

he said it should have only taken 5 minutes to check me out and let me go

Wow...how about a real (intelligent) answer to his question.

Pull you over? Yes. Ticket you? No (unless you admitted guilt).

Look up "Good Faith Exception" some day. When they receive a complaint from someone they take it in good faith that the person calling the police is attempting to maintain order and discipline by notifying the police of illegal acts. Obviously they cannot arrest, charge or convict on a person's word (alone) but they can investigate it by interviewing you and detaining you until they can at least get your identification. Remember, unless you have actually committed a crime all you have to give the police is your name and date of birth when detained for questioning.

That may work now, but very shortly I predict that Bluetooth will not CYA either. Using a phone while driving has been shown to be just as dangerous as 1.0 DUI, NTSB is looking for a federal ruling that they cannot be used at all in the name of transportation safety.

On top of that, how do you know the caller used a hands free device? I see people yacking on their cell phones and driving all the time.

An interesting study might be how many people have died/been injured by cell phine use when driving V how many people have died/been injured via firearms.

Wow...how about a real (intelligent) answer to his question.

They already got one- and a very comprehensive one.

I didn't read all the responses, so I don't know if the question has been answered or not, but here it is:

Yes. It was legal. The level of evidence the officer needs to pull you over is called "reasonable suspicion," and is generally defined as really any degree of articulable evidence that you have committed some form of violation. A tip from a motorist definitely qualifies for this.

The officer was, furthermore, able to pull you over, despite the alleged offense occurring in the previous city, because the ORS (and probably all 50 states) grants sworn officers from any department or agency authority to operate in any other department or agency's jurisdiction. If you're a cop anywhere in Oregon, you're a cop everywhere in Oregon.

The officer was not accurate about one thing, though- he could not have written you a citation for the offense. Oregon police officers can write for violations only on the word of another sworn officer, not a non-LEO. He probably just wanted to add a little scare to you, though, so he lied a little. If the accusing motorist had wanted to file what's commonly referred to as a "citizen's ticket," the officer could have facilitated that, however.

And just because we're sort of on the topic, but not necessarily applicable to anything you're wondering about... Oregon allows "pretext stops." This is where a cop can use any legal excuse to pull you over for the purpose of investigating something unrelated. For instance- if a cop thinks you might have drugs in your car, under Oregon law, he can pull you over for failing to signal within 200 feet of a turn (very common scenario). In Washington, this would be illegal... but not here.

Hope that helps!

People are more interested in spraying their own poorly articulated, uninteresting, and unqualified opinions than they are in seeing the question answered.

That may work now, but very shortly I predict that Bluetooth will not CYA either. Using a phone while driving has been shown to be just as dangerous as 1.0 DUI, NTSB is looking for a federal ruling that they cannot be used at all in the name of transportation safety.

On top of that, how do you know the caller used a hands free device? I see people yacking on their cell phones and driving all the time.

An interesting study might be how many people have died/been injured by cell phine use when driving V how many people have died/been injured via firearms.

Horsebubblegum.

Horsebubblegum.
I'm with Redcap on this one.
What about CB radios? Is that like a .7 then?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top