JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I look at the gun community as good people trying to help another gun owner out in these tough times. Sure, everybody likes to make money, but at the point to where we screw over one of our own? I cant be the only one to notice these price hikes from private sellers. Anybody wanna chime in?

I think this part of the O.P. is funny. Change "Sure, everybody likes to make money," to "Sure, everybody likes to save money," and you'll see it from the sellers perspective. Add in the rest of the sentence "but at the point to where we screw over one of our own?" Considering the seller is probably already losing money, you think they should take more of a loss because times are hard, and if they are selling stuff they might be desperate for cash? Is that how gun people help out one of their own?

Do you think maybe some are trying to take advantage of people that don't have the knowledge to know better "by the way I no expert by any means " I think the idea still lingers here over its better to buy from individual than a shop because of tracing tenn is non register state I just use bill of sale with drivers license # all me need

Do you think maybe some are trying to take advantage of people that don't have the knowledge to know better "by the way I no expert by any means " I think the idea still lingers here over its better to buy from individual than a shop because of tracing tenn is non register state I just use bill of sale with drivers license # all me need

Sure there are a few people that will try to capitalize on others ignorance (there are probably a couple stolen guns for sale also), but I think they are few and far between. A quick search of sold items on GB will quickly reveal what items are actually sold for. There are also a few buyers that will try to capitalize on the ignorance (or desperation) of the seller. That's just the nature of the business, if you don't like the price of the "buy" or "sell" don't do it.

I think this part of the O.P. is funny. Change "Sure, everybody likes to make money," to "Sure, everybody likes to save money," and you'll see it from the sellers perspective. Add in the rest of the sentence "but at the point to where we screw over one of our own?" Considering the seller is probably already losing money, you think they should take more of a loss because times are hard, and if they are selling stuff they might be desperate for cash? Is that how gun people help out one of their own?

I guess this is how people help out their own. Thats why I search out the best price and only buy new anymore.

Huh?

I'm just trying to say, there are two sides to every situation. You say you'd like to get a good deal because times are tough and you're a gun owner. The seller is saying he'd like to get a good price because times are tough and he's a fellow gun owner.

I'm saying there aren't that many people making a profit on private gun sales.

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that if the person is hard up for money and needs to sell to make their morgage then yes, I expect them to come down on price. Mainly because nobody is gonna buy their gun at above retail price. Now, if they dont have to sell then thats fine. Maybe they can afford to keep it because they paid high but if they absolutely NEED the money then they are going to have to take a loss and sell at "used" prices. Everybody knows that we can all go on gunbroker and compare prices to see what the going prices are.

Remember ONE thing: Anything you have is only worth what someone else will pay. I have seen people trying to sell a house. They say: "We gotta get this much, because we have this much in it." But, with a house, it doesn't matter how much you paid, how much you spent on upgrades or repairs, what the tax assessor or insurance agent thinks, etc. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Cars are a prime example. You pay so much when you buy them and piles of money to maintain them, and then we you get rid of them you only get back a fraction of what you paid. And, that applies to EVERYTHING including firearms! No one HAS to buy or sell, but the price will be determined by what a purchaser is willing to pay.

Remember ONE thing: Anything you have is only worth what someone else will pay.

This is a two way street. If many people are willing to pay the price, THAT is the market value. We had a perfect example of this a couple months ago during the frenzy. No?

You pay so much when you buy them and piles of money to maintain them, and then we you get rid of them you only get back a fraction of what you paid. And, that applies to EVERYTHING including firearms! No one HAS to buy or sell, but the price will be determined by what a purchaser is willing to pay.

Well that depends on the time frame. Every gun I have will appreciate. It all depends on how long I own it. Just look at pretty much any gun older than, say, 15 years. Look at what they sold for new and look at the prices they go for now. Of course there are a few exceptions.

BTW, if you think your gun collection is worth fractions of what you paid. I'd like to see an inventory, I might be interested in buying from you.:winkkiss:

I dont see how you think market value is what one person is going to pay. If one person is asking $1300.00 for his AR and 5 other people are asking $1000.00 for the same style AR then the higher price is not "market value". If that person pays the higher price for the firearm then thats his fault for not searching for the best deal but its not market value.

I understand the fact of it being worth what the other person is willing to pay but were talking about market value here.

I dont see how you think market value is what one person is going to pay. If one person is asking $1300.00 for his AR and 5 other people are asking $1000.00 for the same style AR then the higher price is not "market value". If that person pays the higher price for the firearm then thats his fault for not searching for the best deal but its not market value.

I understand the fact of it being worth what the other person is willing to pay but were talking about market value here.

If you re-read my post you'll see I didn't say one person.

ETA. Likewise if 5 people are selling AR's for $1300 and one guy is selling his for $1000 it doesn't make the market value $1000.

I foresee a bunch of people trying to sell stuff for what they bought it for and they are going to be severely disapointed.

Just MHO but if ya paid $1300 for a $600 AR don't expect me to .
BTW CMMG has bargain bin AR's for $599 again.

I bet a bunch of folks are felling kinda dumb about now.

I foresee a bunch of people trying to sell stuff for what they bought it for and they are going to be severely disapointed.

Just MHO but if ya paid $1300 for a $600 AR don't expect me to .
BTW CMMG has bargain bin AR's for $599 again.

I bet a bunch of folks are felling kinda dumb about now.

Ya, its good to see the prices come down to realistic levels. I bought my AR right before the price jump so I came out good. Unfortunaly alot of people didnt.

Reminds me of the story about a guy that goes into Albertson's looking for Baby Red Potatoes. He finds a big bin full a beautiful fresh and firm examples marked at 79 cents a pound! He calls the produce guy over and says, "these are mighty fine looking potatoes you have here, but darn man, I just came from Safeway, and their price is only 49 cents a pound"!

The produce man scratches his head, and says to the customer, "I really don't know how that can be, but if I were you, I'd be going back to Safeway and buy them there".

The customer says, "I can't, they are all sold out"!

The produce man says, "well why didn't ya say so"! When I sell out, I mark mine down to 39 cents a pound"!

:D

That's like comparing apples to umm.... potatoes.

Meanwhile as the guy racks up all his credit cards, spends the kids college fund and takes out a second mortgage on his house to buy up all the "red potatoes".
The guy behind him says screw that, I think I'll have some different potatoes until the "great potato famine" is over.
In fact I think I will just grow my own.

A few weeks go by and the famine is over, one guy is eating his home grown stuff and poor dude is wondering what he is going to do with 75,000 bushels of rotting taters.
:winkkiss:

Unfortunately, this scenario has people (gun owners that bought guns as an investment) actually supporting the idea of another AWB. I saw this first hand at the Albany gun show. Two dealers were talking about how hard it has become to sell there AR's and Ak's. One of them said he hopes they pass another AWB and the other guy said "Well duh!! So do I". I just put the armorers wrench I was looking at and walked away.

Also if you bought AR's or AK's as investments remember, they aren't like potatoes. They won't start rotting and rot your other guns. They will never be worth $0, like a rotten potato that you will have to pay to get rid of. Instead of dumping them for a big loss, flooding the market, and driving the prices down, keep em, enjoy them.

This is a two way street. If many people are willing to pay the price, THAT is the market value. We had a perfect example of this a couple months ago during the frenzy. No?

Well that depends on the time frame. Every gun I have will appreciate. It all depends on how long I own it. Just look at pretty much any gun older than, say, 15 years. Look at what they sold for new and look at the prices they go for now. Of course there are a few exceptions.

BTW, if you think your gun collection is worth fractions of what you paid. I'd like to see an inventory, I might be interested in buying from you.:winkkiss:

Everything is only worth what the next guy will pay.

Everything is only worth what the next guy will pay.

Correct, as long as by the next guy you mean someone not just a particular individual. Example if someone has an AR for sale for $1000 (though they'd take $900) and you'd only pay $600 that doesn't make the market value $600. As long as there are people that will pay $900, the market value is $900. It also doesn't mean they are trying to rip you off.

Just a thought, right now there are people that would pay $2000 (if that were the market value) for a basic AR, and there are people that wouldn't pay $50 for the same AR.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top