JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or have you guys (and gals :)) seen a price increase from private sellers. In the last couple months I have seen guns from private sellers asking more money for their guns than what you could buy it new for. I was looking for a used WASR 10 and private sellers were asking $500.00+. Yet, I bought one new for $470.00. I have also been looking for a M4 AR upper and the cheapest used I could find was $525.00 from a private seller. At the gun show J&G was selling new uppers for $460.00!

I look at the gun community as good people trying to help another gun owner out in these tough times. Sure, everybody likes to make money, but at the point to where we screw over one of our own? I cant be the only one to notice these price hikes from private sellers. Anybody wanna chime in?

You are an anomaly...... you know the value/cost of a specific item. THAT is the first step toward buying right. The second step is not being in a hurry. Know what you want, and what it is worth..... then patiently continue looking until you find the specific item for a price you are content to pay. If a private seller wants too much for it, leave it there.

Dealing in this manner, I've gotten some incredible deals online, and at gun shows. I've also walked away from opportunities to buy some things I REALLY wanted..... because the price was higher than I was willing to pay. Someone else is welcome to it. I'll keep looking, thanks.......

I've been seeing a lot of used guns for sale for more than shops are selling them new on the classifieds here. I think guns are like cars, once you take it off the lot you lose a lot of value.

All depends on the gun and type. You just said uppers but did not specify brand which can make a huge difference. Plus options as well. And yes some people want more for their gun and it is their right to try and sell it for that. Keep looking there are many good deals here.

There are times when I might be willing to pay as much for a used gun from a private party as I would for a new one from a dealer. Private sales generally don't require a background check with a paper trail. It's comforting to have a few non-registered guns.

Scott- I understand that the uppers are priced as per what manufacture they are. There was 4 RRA uppers and some olys. I can see the oly's being a lower price as alot of people think they are less quality. But they were actually a little higher than the RRA uppers. $460.00 is what they wanted for the RRA uppers which I thought was a good price.

Dario541- I agree with you on that. Ive dont the exact same thing when I know I wont have the gun for a long amount of time.

Smithmax- I think your hit the nail on the head!

People are partially basing their prices on what they paid, not what the market is currently bearing.

We may be seeing more of this in the future from people who bought when prices were high will expect to sell for slightly less than they bought it for even if that price is higher than new. It is unlikely that they will check to see if prices have fallen on what they are selling.

Just last week someone got on here and sold a gun for about $400 that was worth MUCH more because he bought it for that much 30 years ago and didn't check the current market value. While those selling for less than market are WAY outnumbered by those selling for more, I have seen it both ways.

Just my 0.02

I've seen prices on complete AR rifles falling for a couple of months now. I think it's a combination of people stocking up right before and after the election and now most everybody that was going to buy has or is out of money due to the recession and job losses.

The price falls in upper prices seemed to lag behind the price fall in complete rifle prices because the mfg's were dedicating all of their upper production to complete rifles that fetched them more money. In just the last month I've seen upper pricing starting to fall.

I've seen prices on complete AR rifles falling for a couple of months now. I think it's a combination of people stocking up right before and after the election and now most everybody that was going to buy has or is out of money due to the recession and job losses.

The price falls in upper prices seemed to lag behind the price fall in complete rifle prices because the mfg's were dedicating all of their upper production to complete rifles that fetched them more money. In just the last month I've seen upper pricing starting to fall.

Ive seen the same thing. Ive seen some good quality basic AR's selling for less than with I can built one for. I guess thats a good thing as Im really tired of seeing people ask $1200.00 for their basic AR.

I look at the gun community as good people trying to help another gun owner out in these tough times. Sure, everybody likes to make money, but at the point to where we screw over one of our own? I cant be the only one to notice these price hikes from private sellers. Anybody wanna chime in?
Are you kidding? Go to GunBroker and see what it cost for 1000 primer's.People are always going to charge as much as thay can get unless they're some sort of freind or they just want to get rid of something.We may share a lot of political view's but when it comes to money people are funny. Gun enthusiest are no exception.
You're a smart person who shopped around for the best deal, good for you. And if some guy gets $700 for his WASR good for him.
I'm always looking for good deals on guns and not always to keep them. I'll buy anything I think I can trade off and trade up.
You'll notice a lot of gun's sitting in the classified adds for long periods of time.they're probably over priced. The one's that disapear quickly are priced where the market likes.
Gun people will help each other out with advice,but when it come's to selling something, they're no different than anybody else.

There are several things about ads here, or anywhere that lets you post FREE ads.
A lot of the ads are "feeler" ads, by people not necessarily 100% committed to selling unless they get a favorable price.
A lot of the ads are "OBO" and buyers rarely offer more the the OBO price so the sellers start high.
Some of the ads are "trade" ads, where the trade is the desired item, if the buyer wants to pay cash, the seller wants to make sure they get enough cash to buy the desired gun.
Also for some reason people expect a seller to throw in all the extras and not take into account the cost of the extras. I have an AR for sale here. I bought the gun for $989 (when it was the ONLY one in town) plus about $200 in extras and ammo. I've had people say they can get the gun new for less, they probably can, but then they gotta pay for the extras and the ammo, and I'm not going to give them mine.:s0114:
If my gun sells, fine, if it doesn't sell, fine. Hey the ad was FREE.

I'd agree that remaining patient is the key to getting a good deal, whether you are working with local folks or online. Lots and lots of people are finding themselves in financial straits these days, and a lot of them are being forced to sell off their valuables -- guns included. It's only logical to assume that they would want to get top dollar (heck, I would to; so would you), and a lot of them ask exactly that. Patience is the key to every good value I've found during the past three years or more. If you jump at the first deal you see, you'll most likely be disappointed -- and sooner rather than later.

the market is still trying to balance itself out.. i've seen it both ways. on the whole, prices have plummeted from 08/09 winter prices- both private and dealer. but there are still a lot of people out there asking way too much for stuff- and it's mostly not selling. on the other hand, i've been seeing some REALLY good deals on stuff, and the deals just keep getting better, now that everyone is broke and selling the stuff they stockpiled or dealer's backorders are finally getting cleaned up.

its multidimensional-

People panic-purchased at high prices just when the "economy" was going boobs-up.. these people don't want to take a loss on all the hard-to-get type stuff they gobbled up, so are desperately trying to hold on to it at above-MSRP price as long as possible, hoping someone will buy.

same thing as above, only there's also a lot of people who are SO broke they just need to download gear as quickly as possible- this is obviously where the good private deals are cominging from

some dealers are trying to take advantage of the buyers who still dont realize that prices have come down- there's surprisingly many out there- so their GB prices are high and have few or no bidders..

and, as stated, we have other dealers who now have a massive surplus of parts/guns/ammo they ordered and paid for months ago- the other really good source of good deals. these guys made a ton of money at first.. people panicked and emptied their shelves. but now they're still waiting, or only just receiving, backorders placed and paid for months ago- and rent/electricity is due.

it'll all balance out by christmas... so long as we dont get another bout of panic buying or new legislation.

I remember before the semi auto ban sunset that some dealers I talked to didn't want it to go away because it would lower the value of their inventory...:(

Oh yeah. You couldn't go into one of the local stores here without hearing "Obama", "Clinton" or "liberal congress" every ten seconds or so. Not coincidentally this is the store that the biggest influx in price.

It seems to me that no matter how much a person pays for firearm related products, over the long haul he will always be ahead. I speak from experience as I purchased my first gun in 1955. It was a surplus Enfield revolver in caliber 38 S&W. I paid $9.95 for it. Shells were sold per round and you took the number you wanted from a box and carried them out in a paper bag. In 1961, I bought a Ruger Mk.1 .22 hangun for $37.50. The comparable model today sells for $350 and up. So, what is mine worth now? I think that in the long run I think we'll all come out ahead.

It seems to me that no matter how much a person pays for firearm related products, over the long haul he will always be ahead. I speak from experience as I purchased my first gun in 1955. It was a surplus Enfield revolver in caliber 38 S&W. I paid $9.95 for it. Shells were sold per round and you took the number you wanted from a box and carried them out in a paper bag. In 1961, I bought a Ruger Mk.1 .22 hangun for $37.50. The comparable model today sells for $350 and up. So, what is mine worth now? I think that in the long run I think we'll all come out ahead.

BUT....how much did you make an hour then vs. now? ;)

I think a lot of the pricing is buyer's remorse from the "panic". As said above, they're being listed for more than new, but probably less than what was paid.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top