JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are guns for sale of every chambering with "very low" round count because people are liars and bad at math

232239466_ea8178bfe7_z1.jpg main-qimg-f18ea400498fcffc3eb750618deabdf9-lq.jpeg.jpg

Perhaps a little scope eye?

Everybody wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster sh!t.

had a ruger #1 in 300 win mag.

just a hunting rifle. that's it. one or two shots at animals a year.

a few shots during season to ensure zero.

i don't think that's an unusual use case scenario.

go out and shoot it for fun? yeah. not so much.

:)

Last Edited:
Who knows? :s0092:
Maybe they found out that just because they bought a gun in a magnum caliber…
… their "pee-pee" didn't get any bigger, or when they fired it their "manbun" unraveled ?

why are there so many "magnum" rifles for sale with very low round count?
My guess is with the larger calibers, they are sold because of their high recoil. A secondary cause would be ammunition cost, but that factor was readily apparent prior to purchasing the gun...
There are a lot of comments on this forum where owners of large caliber handguns sold them after firing a minimum of rounds, they simply found it too unpleasant for themselves. I imagine it's similar with rifles.

My guess is with the larger calibers, they are sold because of their high recoil. A secondary cause would be ammunition cost, but that factor was readily apparent prior to purchasing the gun...
There are a lot of comments on this forum where owners of large caliber handguns sold them after firing a minimum of rounds, they simply found it too unpleasant for themselves. I imagine it's similar with rifles.
agreed, the big-bore magnums aren't for everyone. I have a .338 win that I am considering selling because the ol shoulder just can't take it these days

agreed, the big-bore magnums aren't for everyone. I have a .338 win that I am considering selling because the ol shoulder just can't take it these days
Suppressors or brakes do wonders in regards to recoil if it's needed.

Probably adequately explained by the less than enjoyable recoil and muzzle blast, compounded by the price of ammo and less than 100 rounds out of difficult to find expensive pound of powder. And now, the near impossible task of finding large rifle magnum primers.
Or, they may have experienced a partially detached retina and were advised to avoid heavy recoiling rifles or blows to the head.

If someone has more than one rifle in similar calibers say 25.06, 270 and 7 mag one might decide that the 270 does everything the others do and the ammo is easier to find. Maybe someone in the family wants the 25.06 because it was Grandpa's gun. That leaves the 7mag up for sale. Sometimes it's not always about penis size.

I'm humble enough to throw down.

Previous poster's screen name reminded me...

Can we expand this to magnum handguns as well? Well I'll just go ahead for a bit.

Now I'm a pretty fair shot / competitor with a handgun. And I remember so clearly the day my buddy handed me his brand new .44 mag revolver. Stainless Smith and Wesson I think it was a 629 with a 4" barrel. Wood grips. Gorgeous. We were at Douglas Ridge. Beautiful summer day after work. Blue skies. Birds chirping. Puffy high clouds. No other shooters on the range. Happiness and joy as far as the eye could see.

I loaded up six, locked in to my best IDPA stance, eyed the series of targets we had lined up, imagining myself racking them off like Dirty Harry himself... and I let one fly.

One. Just one. That was it. I didn't even need to acquire site picture on the second target. I handed him his new revolver back. Thanked him very much. And went back to my 1911. I've never had the desire or inclination to shoot, carry, or own one of those things since.

If I'm ever in AK and faced with an angry bear, angry woman, angry husband, zombie, or some such nonsense, I will empty all the .45 mags I have into them and shoot myself with the last round before I would shoot a magnum revolver again.

Last Edited:
my first rifle was a 7mm mag.. ive told the story a time or two around here already and its not that interesting anyway.. but suffice to say i had buyers remorse pretty quick.

sold that thing a few years later in very good condition.. maybe 50 rounds of pain put thru it.

Ahhhh. Nothing like a Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag with one of those "boat paddle" stocks. I remember the local gun store wall covered with used ones back in the day. I'll bet those had some pretty fresh barrels.

I'm humble enough to throw down.

Previous poster's screen name reminded me...

Can we expand this to magnum handguns as well? Well I'll just go ahead for a bit.

Now I'm a pretty fair shot / competitor with a handgun. And I remember so clearly the day my buddy handed me his brand new .44 mag revolver. Stainless Smith and Wesson I think it was a 629 with a 4" barrel. Wood grips. Gorgeous. We were at Douglas Ridge. Beautiful summer day after work. Blue skies. Birds chirping. Puffy high clouds. No other shooters on the range. Happiness and joy as far as the eye could see.

I loaded up six, locked in to my best IDPA stance, eyed the series of targets we had lined up, imagining myself racking them off like Dirty Harry himself... and I let one fly.

One. Just one. That was all it. I didn't even need to acquire site picture on the second target. I handed him his new revolver back. Thanked him very much. And went back to my 1911. I've never had the desire or inclination to shoot, carry, or own one of those things since.

If I'm ever in AK and faced with an angry bear, angry woman, angry husband, zombie, or some such nonsense, I will empty all the .45 mags I have into them and shoot myself with the last round before I would shoot a magnum revolver again.
Great post. As Dirty Harry said, "A good man's gotta know his limitations."

I sold a S&W titanium-framed J-frame .357 to a buddy once who didn't believe it when I told him the round count was under 50. With full-house .357 loads, it was just painful (and S&W even said, don't shoot less than 125 grain rounds); with +P .38s, it was a still a bear to shoot. Fortunately, this was pre-I594 and he paid me before he ever fired it. Every time I asked him how he liked it, he made some excuse about how he never had time to do any shooting...

As far as magnum rifles go, nothing to add to what the fellows have said. I jumped on the bandwagon when I first moved out West, but when found some of the best hunters I knew were still doing it with .30-06s, 6.5 Swede, .308, .270, I had an epiphany...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top