JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
maybe it is the brake that makes the difference?? I just weighed mine, it came in at 8.8 lbs. Ruger 77 wood stock tang safety Leupold 3-9x40 recoil pad looks similar.
The brake does make a huge difference I was almost ready to sell it now I do not make friends at the range ! I always thought those Rugers hit a little harder maybe it is just me ?

maybe it is the brake that makes the difference?? I just weighed mine, it came in at 8.8 lbs. Ruger 77 wood stock tang safety Leupold 3-9x40 recoil pad looks similar.
Same basic set up Sako A7 in 308 60F9A69C-B4C4-4831-BD5C-86842C50FE52.jpeg ditched the Tupperware stock and feels the same.

ya, I had 2 Ruger 77's, one in 30-06 and the .338. both with the stock red rubber butt pad. the .338 was just plain brutal so it got the decelerator recoil pad right away. the 30-06 was no walk in the park either. I sold it a few years back to help fund my .270 short mag build. I don't know the specs on the short mag but it is plenty stout too.

"I know one guy, a decade or so older than me, who remains convinced that elk can only be adequately slain with a Keithian cartridge such as the .338 Winchester or .340 Weatherby Magnum. This resulted in an interesting conversation at a hunting camp, when one of the women present asked him, "So why do men need bigger cartridges to kill the same animals women drop with smaller ones?"

John Barsness

------------------

Bruce

"I know one guy, a decade or so older than me, who remains convinced that elk can only be adequately slain with a Keithian cartridge such as the .338 Winchester or .340 Weatherby Magnum. This resulted in an interesting conversation at a hunting camp, when one of the women present asked him, "So why do men need bigger cartridges to kill the same animals women drop with smaller ones?"

John Barsness

------------------

Bruce
years ago in elk camp, there was one of the guy's wives that hunted, while all the men lugged a magnum of some sort around the mountains she sat on a stand day after day with her trusty .300 savage. guess who the only one to bag an elk was.

9.3x62 and 280 Remington are the only non-magnum "magnums" i want.

Recently sold my 300 Weatherby mag, which i could handle better than ony 30-06 i have ever owned. Now down to my last 300 Winchester mag, i can shoot it comfortably but do not need it.

I have a muzzle brake on my .270 Winchester Sheep Rifle.

...and this is one of many reasons I am not the least self-conscious about it.

1653798485039.png
Self-Guided trip for Dall's Sheep: Brooks Range, Alaska. 100 miles above the Arctic Circle. Remington Model 700BDL Stainless. .270 Winchester. 4.5-14x Leupold, 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. 375 yards.

The muzzle brake allowed comfortable and extensive practice at all ranges, then became just as valuable in the field.

We all shoot guns with less recoil BETTER.

I've never found that having the ever-living snot kicked out of me by the thing I'm shooting was even half as much fun as some folks say it is.

Back on infantry training days, where those of us who were not infantry got to play for a week with infantry weapons so that we could, if necessary, operate them in dire straits, we all had to qualify with the Carl Gustaf M84 recoilless rifle - look it up if you need to.

Watch -

Watch at 1:57 - slowed down is good. Even the basic round can penetrate 6" of armour at ANY distance - it's a fin-stabilised HEAT round with a slipping driving band.

It shoots a huge 84mm multi-role projectile that busts light tanks/APCs/MICVs - or even a full-size tank if you hit it right, bunkers, emplaced weapons and so on. My favourites are the two new kinds in the ammunition list - a round that goes through the wall and then explodes inside the structure/room-space at a known and adjustable distance [v. clever], and the round that you shoot OVER a trench or emplaced/crew-served weapon like an MG or mortar. This one explodes about ten feet above your head with a shower of tungsten carbide cubes at around 10,000 fps - THAT'LL sting. 6:28 on the movie shows this in action on a range.

It might be recoilless, but that doesn't mean 'fun to shoot'. It can often leave your ears bleeding. Firing it, even with your best bud holding you around the shoulders, is like dressing up in full body armour, taking a run at a large tree, and hitting it with your face. Standing behind it when it fires can kill you, right there.

Squaddies are only allowed to shoot three full-bore loads per session. Thankfully there is a sub-calibre adaptor that uses a shortened version of the 6.5x55 cartridge.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top