JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought one of my numerous S&W Model 29 revolvers - a 4" bbl version - along with the box of ammunition the original owner had bought with it.

Just two cartridges had been fired - one at the target - more or less - and the second through the roof of the firing line.

I don't know if he had bothered to read the writing on the box - '300gr solid - FOR USE WITH THOMPSON CONTENDER ONLY!!'

The next gun I bought was Uberti replica Winchester High Wall in .45-70 Govt. Near-mint, that, too, had had only two rounds through it. The first owner had been around five foot two and slight, but pretty fit - he was a farmerist, after all. But even he baulked at the thought of prolonged shooting of any 500gr factory soft-point, again, clearly marked up by Mr Federal - 'For use in Ruger No1 or similar modern firearm - NOT for use in Trapdoor Springfield or any other contemporary firearm.'

Last Edited:
why are there so many "magnum" rifles for sale with very low round count? let me guess, not quite the man you thought you were?
Not for me. I have lots of them. 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, 300 Mag, 270 WSM, and just bought a 6.5-300 Weatherby mag. Low round counts because they are hunting rifles with specific purposes. Some never fire a round in a year. Some maybe only 3-4.

like my shotgun with 3.5" shells For a purpose.

.454 Casull, same thing.

I dont consider guns manly or unmanly. There are men who aren't manly though. I consider guns as tools for specific purposes.

had a ruger #1 in 300 win mag.

just a hunting rifle. that's it. one or two shots at animals a year.

a few shots during season to ensure zero.

i don't think that's an unusual use case scenario.

go out and shoot it for fun? yeah. not so much.

:)
Same with my .338 lucky if it sees 10 rounds a year through it…..not something I enjoy plinking/training with just a tool for harvesting game

I'm humble enough to throw down.

Previous poster's screen name reminded me...

Can we expand this to magnum handguns as well? Well I'll just go ahead for a bit.

Now I'm a pretty fair shot / competitor with a handgun. And I remember so clearly the day my buddy handed me his brand new .44 mag revolver. Stainless Smith and Wesson I think it was a 629 with a 4" barrel. Wood grips. Gorgeous. We were at Douglas Ridge. Beautiful summer day after work. Blue skies. Birds chirping. Puffy high clouds. No other shooters on the range. Happiness and joy as far as the eye could see.

I loaded up six, locked in to my best IDPA stance, eyed the series of targets we had lined up, imagining myself racking them off like Dirty Harry himself... and I let one fly.

One. Just one. That was it. I didn't even need to acquire site picture on the second target. I handed him his new revolver back. Thanked him very much. And went back to my 1911. I've never had the desire or inclination to shoot, carry, or own one of those things since.

If I'm ever in AK and faced with an angry bear, angry woman, angry husband, zombie, or some such nonsense, I will empty all the .45 mags I have into them and shoot myself with the last round before I would shoot a magnum revolver again.
Fantastic post!

I just watched a video by Kentucky Ballistics on YT, he just got a 500 Nitro Express pistol. Not sure if there ever has been or ever will be something that recoils harder in a pistol, I kinda want one, LOL.

At a "gathering" some years back (where, at one point Harleys and horses raced in the pasture, and nearly everyone was packing, including kids with BB guns), a few guys were carrying .44 Magnums. Each of them bragged how well they could shoot them.

I had recently bought a new bow. State of the art, fastest on the planet, nearly most expensive. After witnessing a few of the Magnum pistoleros shoot, I put up a bet: Pink slips at 25 yards on Pepsi cans. Their pistol against my bow. 5 cans, shoot till you miss.

Since most had seen me shoot the bow, all but one declined the wager. The gambler packed a "Virginia Dragoon". He was two for two and I got nervous. Can #3 tumbled, but showed no impact mark (the slug had disrupted soil beneath). Spectators vetoed his claims it counted. I went five for five.

Humbly (after some avoidance), he handed me the belt and pistol. I handed it back, announcing that still, I could count the men I had met that could shoot a .44 Magnum well on one hand.

I still can make the same claim, with me not among them.

At a "gathering" some years back (where, at one point Harleys and horses raced in the pasture, and nearly everyone was packing, including kids with BB guns), a few guys were carrying .44 Magnums. Each of them bragged how well they could shoot them.

I had recently bought a new bow. State of the art, fastest on the planet, nearly most expensive. After witnessing a few of the Magnum pistoleros shoot, I put up a bet: Pink slips at 25 yards on Pepsi cans. Their pistol against my bow. 5 cans, shoot till you miss.

Since most had seen me shoot the bow, all but one declined the wager. The gambler packed a "Virginia Dragoon". He was two for two and I got nervous. Can #3 tumbled, but showed no impact mark (the slug had disrupted soil beneath). Spectators vetoed his claims it counted. I went five for five.

Humbly (after some avoidance), he handed me the belt and pistol. I handed it back, announcing that still, I could count the men I had met that could shoot a .44 Magnum well on one hand.

I still can make the same claim, with me not among them.
That's pretty funny. There are a lot of folks out there that don't really appreciate the accuracy of modern compound bows. I was once among them. The first time I shot a compound bow, a little over 20 years ago, I figured if I could hit the lid from a five gallon bucket I would be doing pretty well. I soon learned I could easily put five arrows into a target smaller than a clay pigeon at 20 yards. And, recoil is painless. I was sold! As for pistols, eh, at 25 yards I'm "minute of barn door". :D

That's pretty funny. There are a lot of folks out there that don't really appreciate the accuracy of modern compound bows. I was once among them. The first time I shot a compound bow, a little over 20 years ago, I figured if I could hit the lid from a five gallon bucket I would be doing pretty well. I soon learned I could easily put five arrows into a target smaller than a clay pigeon at 20 yards. And, recoil is painless. I was sold! As for pistols, eh, at 25 yards I'm "minute of barn door". :D
I'm the opposite, I bought a nice, heavy re curve bow practiced with it all summer and thought a coffee can sized group at 25 yds was pretty good. A buddy stopped by and we decided to shoot the bow, he put all the arrows in a coffee cup sized group. I just figured that in our past lives he was an Indian and I was a Cowboy. I gave him the bow. As far as pistols I'm a pretty good shot, good enough to say I'm at least competitive. I was going to go to the gun range today anyway and shoot .357, 41 and 44 Magnums so might try some 25 yard one handed shooting just for fun.

I'm the opposite, I bought a nice, heavy re curve bow practiced with it all summer and thought a coffee can sized group at 25 yds was pretty good. A buddy stopped by and we decided to shoot the bow, he put all the arrows in a coffee cup sized group. I just figured that in our past lives he was an Indian and I was a Cowboy. I gave him the bow. As far as pistols I'm a pretty good shot, good enough to say I'm at least competitive. I was going to go to the gun range today anyway and shoot .357, 41 and 44 Magnums so might try some 25 yard one handed shooting just for fun.
I've never shot a recurve. Try a compound. I found it to be so similar to a peep sight rifle, there wasn't much of a learning curve. Full disclosure: I was always one of those guys - "those blankety-blank bowhunters" until at the age of forty I became one. As for pistols, I'm competitive as well - as long as the competition lacks talent. I'm okay with a rifle and pretty good with a bow, but pistols are my Achilles heel. I'm probably better than most folks that never shoot at all, but you wouldn't want me trying to take out the guy holding a knife to your throat while holding you close. :eek:

I wish I was as good with a bow as I am with a firearm, one thing I'd like to learn is the quite stalking that bow hunters do so I could effectively hunt with a handgun.

Anyone the opposite like me? My magnum rifles and handguns are "well" used. I'm a recoil junkie though.
Same, though not a recoil junkie. I sold my 416 Rigby because the recoil was causing me to flinch. All the magnums I currently own have well over 100 rounds shot each. The 338 Edge and 7LRM are both closer to 400.

It's *always* about penis size (i.e. virility).

I have a custom 338 winmag, it's a beautiful rifle. I haven't shot it in ten years. I got it in 1991 and there's less than 400 rounds through it.

Like an earlier poster said—I found the right load, got it dialed in (it shoots through the darn near same hole —off a sled). Once I get my rifles dialed, I don't do much else with them except lug them around the woods a couple weekends a year—large bore bolt actions aren't plinkers.

Same, though not a recoil junkie. I sold my 416 Rigby because the recoil was causing me to flinch. All the magnums I currently own have well over 100 rounds shot each. The 338 Edge and 7LRM are both closer to 400.

It's *always* about penis size (i.e. virility).
Most people complain how punishing recoil is on a 500 S&W, my twelve year old son is quite proficient with it. Last time at the range he shot 60 rounds, and then shot the rest of my 460 S&W that I had, more than 80 rounds. That reminds me, it's time to reload some more! Recoil is not for everyone, I use it as a training aid. If I can shoot well without flinching a heavy recoiling gun then it helps eliminate certain tendencies of shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top