JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got into a discussion with a co-worker about my selling and buying guns on this site. He insists that its illegal for me to sell as many guns as i have and that if the ATF were to find out i would be in deep do do... and that if i wanna sell more then a few guns i need to get my FFL... is this true?

+1000 to the above.

You can legally sell anything you own in a personal collection be it 1 gun or 1000 and not run into a problem.

If you are "engaged in the business of buying and selling firearms" then you do need an FFL.

EDIT:

There is NOTHING in the ATF regulation that says "profit". Even if you sell at a loss and are "engaged in the business" you NEED an FFL. A better way to put it would be to say "you need an FFL to buy and sell guns UNLESS it is for your personal collection".

Many here have more experience in this than I but here's what I understand

Only if they can prove you are actually "engaged in the business of buying/selling firearms for profit".

Selling your collection off is not being in business. Now a case can be made if you are buying and selling enough guns on an ongoing basis, for profit

Then again the BATF does not really need any reason to go as far as wreck your life and even murder your family and pets

I seem to remember somewhere that if you were selling more than 5 firearms at once that it was engaging in the biz and you needed an FFL. Maybe that was just for gunshows and preventing people from avoiding background checks or something.... That might be what you are thinking of.

I seem to remember somewhere that if you were selling more than 5 firearms at once that it was engaging in the biz and you needed an FFL. Maybe that was just for gunshows and preventing people from avoiding background checks or something.... That might be what you are thinking of.

I thought that was 25 at one time.

The only law out there regarding a number of firearms for sale is more than 25 firearms for sale at one physical location is considered a gun show.

You are not engaging in the business . You are not a dealer. Engaging in the business is buying for resale. Collecting and shooting guns is not engaging in the business. Sell all you want when you want and if anyone says otherwise have them show you the appropriate US code saying you cannot. They will not be able to.

See paragraph C

From
<broken link removed>

Engaged in the business &#8212;(a) Manufacturer of firearms. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured;

(b) Manufacturer of ammunition. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

(c) Dealer in firearms other than a gunsmith or a pawnbroker. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top