JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Nikolas Cruz deluged in jail with fan mail - CNN

It looks like Nicholas Cruz got his wish and now is a superstar.. He is getting fan mail from all over the world and seems to be a big hit from the girls. There are girls sending him sexual explicit pictures of themselves, love letters and just lots of fans send letters of admiration.

This just wants to make me vomit and also makes me question the morale of humanity and the state of mind of human beings in the 21st century? Of course, the media, liberal propagandists, scared soccer moms and all the others involved in the brainwashing will say that guns are causing people to turn into crazed lunatics.

Oh yes, those slimebags in the media, I hope you are happy to know that by you broadcasting all these events and sharing the manifestos, life story, social media pages and testimonies of these bloodthirsty madmen that you and all those who find some type of admiration of this cold-blooded, merciless killer are actually the ones really responsible for these horrific massacres. Not only are you responsible for these massacres, but you are responsible for all the copy cat killers who will also be striving to get their time in the spotlight and become a homicidal maniac superstar.

The liberals and of course the media propagandists claim the problem is Assault Weapons or even the entire 2nd Amendment, which they are now calling to repeal. However, my theory is that you can ban all the guns you want, but these crazed madmen will find some way to invoke as much carnage as possible and it will only get worse. It is not the availability or rifles which have been accessible for decades. No, it is the insanity of social media and people's infatuations with fearmongering and media sensationalism. Of course, many of these crazed lunatics, some who feel worthless, angry, lonely and have no real outlet for whatever craziness lurks in their mind are just itching to get their moment of fame and the media and social networking are making it real possibility.

Has anyone else here thought about this issue? We have had semi auto firearms and even AR-15s available to people for decades. But, what have we not had available to people, especially school aged kids? We have not had social media, smart phones that have every social media app installed, nor did we have such a widely available distribution of news networks we can read at a moment's notice. It use to be back in the day if you wanted to talk to a friend you had to call them or visit them. As well, if you wanted to read the news you had to go and buy a newspaper. There was no such thing as online newspapers even until the 90s and today with Google News you can read papers from Tacoma to Tehran in a few clicks. This is an information overload in some ways. People in freakin' Timbuktu know all about whats going on in Parkland, FLorida literally hours after it happened. This is unprecedented in the history of the world up until the last decade!

If the Austin bombing is any indicator, there is a whole new era of people looking to make a name for themselves via social media and online news networks through bloodshed and carnage. There is no stopping this bloodlust.

Sadly, the fascists in our government know exactly what we know, but are jumping on this as an opportunity to strip away law-abiding citizens of their freedoms and liberties. However, despite the agenda of the crooked politicians, they will ban every legal gun from every legal gun owner, but this bloodshed and carnage will increase, not decrease. Where there is a desire to destroy, there is a way and that is sad. What is even more sad, is that we punish millions of law abiding gun owners who could use these weapons to defend themselves from these madmen. As well, nobody wants to address the issue of mental health, especially in regards to the toxicity of social media on the brains of younger people.

Last Edited:
The social media is innocent and could never do any wrong...

Its not like posting the shooter's face and name could ever cause someone to want to be a copycat...

Even though media does play a role in creating copycat killers and it isn't a new concept. Copycat killers concept likely started with Jack the Ripper if anything.

Guns , news , social media do not cause school shootings.
How a person perceives guns , what they read and hear on the news and how they react and interact on social media , may however cause them to behave a certain way.

I think that:
The whole "15 minutes of Fame"..or more when the story is constantly replayed or revisited...
The way a news story is spun...
When the facts are suppressed , hidden , glossed over etc..
When absolutes or extremes are being shown as a "norm"...
The absence of accountability...
The lack of empathy...
When T V and other media are now "parents"...
A lack of real interaction ( face to face ) with actual people...
Not understanding that the world might not be "fair" , revolve around you , might not really care what you think...or that yes you are special...but so are a zillion other people ...And that is okay 'cause that is how the world works for everybody...

All go hand in hand with whatever underlying cause of a school shooting.
Andy

The term copycat criminal is one you will hear in criminology, and maybe outside of it if you like to study it as a hobby.

They have found, ever since Jack the Ripper, that media plays a role in people copying killers. Typically they do it for the same attention the killers get, as well as to cause terror (not to be confused with terrorism where there is a political and/or religious purpose behind the terror).

One example of a copycat happened in 2014 when a student went to school in PA and stabbed people. The perpetrator said he was inspired by Columbine and identified with the two shooters.

Lack of parenting and media plays a big role.

*Note the lack of trying to sensationalize it, no mention of the name or how the scene went down. This is how media should be doing it. No names, no description, and keep it brief.

I believe the fact that ARs are used when there are other options is telling. A lot of it is games and social media. Every new shooter 30 and under I take shooting always say it's harder than Call of Duty.

Kathy Griffin had a bloody severed head of Trump. Not because she hates Trump but she was pandering to her uber liberal audience. The media does sell AR15s to people that don't know jack about guns. They are also pandering to what they call "low information viewers".

*Note the lack of trying to sensationalize it, no mention of the name or how the scene went down. This is how media should be doing it. No names, no description, and keep it brief.
I like that a lot. In fact, I might go one further. The media should be reporting on the stress and financial burdens that the perpetrator's family is facing. The media should report on the repeated and relentless sodomy in prison. (I can't imagine someone who shoots up a school is much more popular than a child molester.) The media should be featuring the heros who actually saved lives. The shooter (or stabber or bomber) should have no public personal recognition. No Rolling Stone cover. No fan mail. No 24/7 coverage. No name.

I read an article this week that said in 1955 we had over 450k in mental hospitals and in 1994 we had 72k. There was a huge shift away from mental health facilities. So where are they now? 10% of all jails/prisons population is mentally ill and will never improve in jail. The running joke abut the crazy town bum the cops continually deal with? He shouldn't be on the street.

The mentally ill is now amongst us. They take medicine and it supposed to be enough. When 8 out of 10 shooters are on some kind of anti psychotic , I have to say it's not working.

These people are amongst us for the first time in US history.

I read an article this week that said in 1955 we had over 450k in mental hospitals and in 1994 we had 72k. There was a huge shift away from mental health facilities. So where are they now? 10% of all jails/prisons population is mentally ill and will never improve in jail. The running joke abut the crazy town bum the cops continually deal with? He shouldn't be on the street.

The mentally ill is now amongst us. They take medicine and it supposed to be enough. When 8 out of 10 shooters are on some kind of anti psychotic , I have to say it's not working.

Our company helped build one of the newest mental health facilities in Portland. It's called Unity and was a joint venture between Legacy, Adventist and I believe OHSU. They built it at the old Holladay Park Hospital near the Rose Garden. They converted 4 floors to inpatient mental health care. From the day it opened, it's been full and it's clear they don't have enough space. It's a pretty nice facility that was intended to move inpatient mental health care out of the regular hospitals to a central location. It's a good idea, but we need far more of these facilities so folks can get the help they need.

100% percent of people are irrational 99.9% of the time. Selfishness, ego, lust, narcissism, jealousy, greed, sadomasochism, fear, control, dominance, addiction, mental illnesses, genetic pitfalls.... all of it drives the human race, all the time.

I'm often amazed our species has lasted as long as it has... :rolleyes:

I've though about what part the media plays in all this. Especially in the last year or so. I believe the way the media reports these horrors tends to bring other depressed/angry/shunned/bullied people to thinking about such things. Take the CNN headline for instance.

"The amount of fan mail the Parkland shooter is receiving is unreal"

I read what they had there. It wasn't disturbing to me. It makes sense to me that out of the many millions of people that have been glued to media for the last two weeks some of them wanted to help in some way. I mean, clearly this kid is one sick puppy? Why would it be "So disturbing I don't even have words to describe them" as the reporter says? Of course in an attempt to instill feelings and emotion the media themselves think YOU should feel!!!!

The head line "Deluged with fan mail". Fricken bubblegum hacks!! Didn't read like fan mail to me, more like caring people. I know, what would help is if ALL news was in print so we don't have to watch these disgusting, so called journalists!

They're called, "talking heads".... ;)

39114874-39AE-4B28-A530-FE0017D9256A.png

They were shutdown due to costs, the federal government couldn't keep up with it so they tried to set it on the states. The states couldn't keep up with it so a lot of them were shut down. So they're out and about now due to high costs of running the institutions.

That being said, the amount of violent crime done by those with mental health problems cover maybe 5% of all violent crime.

They were shutdown due to costs, the federal government couldn't keep up with it so they tried to set it on the states. The states couldn't keep up with it so a lot of them were shut down. So they're out and about now due to high costs of running the institutions.

That being said, the amount of violent crime done by those with mental health problems cover maybe 5% of all violent crime.

Except within that 5% lie the most prolific crimes.

My opinion is that parents are raising little pussies who can't handle the slightest small bit of bullying. In my time, if you had a beef, you took it out on someone with your fists. Now, the poor little twerps take the cowards route.

My opinion is that parents are raising little pussies who can't handle the slightest small bit of bullying. In my time, if you had a beef, you took it out on someone with your fists. Now, the poor little twerps take the cowards route.

Life sure was simpler when 2 people could square off, trade blows and shake hands after.

Now we have to worry about lawsuits and if the person you hit doesn't want to press charges? Somehow "the people" of your county/city find out and they press charges. This latter step is bogus to me.

The prolific crimes could be reduced by doing away with the sensationalizing the media puts on them. Copycat criminals copy said crimes because of the attention it gets them.

It's multiple issues. I certainly agree the media is playing a role. I also firmly believe in another time we wouldn't be living amongst the crazies. These people would not have this opportunity to commit crime.

It's multiple issues. I certainly agree the media is playing a role. I also firmly believe in another time we wouldn't be living amongst the crazies. These people would not have this opportunity to commit crime.
The states and federal government can't afford to. And the concept of copycat criminals isn't new, this started with Jack the Ripper. Only difference now is information travels faster so they see more of it.

It's more like the government chooses not to prioritize mental health over foreign wars and the drug war as just 2 easy example.

Of course the current news infrastructure plays a part.

The states and federal government can't afford to. And the concept of copycat criminals isn't new, this started with Jack the Ripper. Only difference now is information travels faster so they see more of it.

I would also add the Availability Heuristic.

This is fascinating topic if you're ever have a minute. Very much relevant to the 24 hour news cycle, social media, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top