JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
RE: Loaded only

Obviously one conceals their loaded TAC 14 when it's in their home. That's a form of concealment.

And technically it's legal to carry loaded, but not concealed. But there are intimidation laws that make that impractical.

But what if you are somewhere out in the woods or camping and want the firearm ready and loaded but don't want to alarm anyone. Is it considered illegally concealed if you put it into some non firearm container, like bag or fishing rod container, but not on your person?

My gut says it's probably technically not legal. I'm about 100% sure that democrat politicians would say "not legal." But "common sense" would suggest this is more reasonable than scaring the bageebers out of recreating liberals. Anyone think they know the answer?

Are we talking about one of these?
Remington 870 TAC-14 DBM.jpg

Short answer is no, they can't be concealed. They do make scabbards and holsters that fit these really nice. You can wear it on your back, or hip. At least in Oregon, a certian amount of the firearm must be exposed. I'll have to google it.

@Gonzales Please do. I'd like to see how the scabbard works with the mag inserted, and not ejecting a shell when you shove the barrel into the scabbard.

In Oregon, I believe that the only legal way to carry concealed without a concealed handgun carry license is to have at a minimum, hunting or fishing license, and only when hunting or fishing, or in transit to either,.or from. Otherwise, nope. Can't carry concealed. Don't think that shotgun passes muster for a "concealable firearm under 26 inch OAL" to be a pistol/handgun :rolleyes: understand, that's the ATF rule, I think. Since it is not a handgun, nor a "shotgun", it most likely falls under either "Firearm" or "ANY OTHER WEAPON", depending on the receiver markings :rolleyes:

Dont think I've seen one for the DM model. I would assume that you already knew that.... :s0092: I was referring to the regular model of the Tac 14.
Nope. The reason I asked is that I actually have the TAC-14 DM.
So, that was the only viewport through which my feeble brain was observing the question... :oops:

Last Edited:
I never thought about this that putting it in a bag while in the woods would be considered concealed!?

Have you actually thought about "I do not consent to any searches"? You are constitutionally protected from having your stuff searched without probable cause.

I'm not saying to do anything illegal but what is the chance of getting busted for having that firearm in a bag while camping? Anyway, I'd put a sling on it and have it on my back. Or the scabbard.

Nope. The reason I asked is that I actually have the TAC-14 DM.
So, that as the only viewport through which my feeble brain was observing the question... :oops:

My bad. By default, I assume the worst.. But I'm occasionally surprised :p I'll keep an eye out, and let folks know if I see anything.

I was ADHD before it was cool to be ADHD. So my viewport becomes rather restricted when my brain latches on to something... :s0140:

I believe the law would be the same as for any other non-handgun firearm.

I have not kept up on the WA state laws in that regard - but do not consider these "firearms" to be handguns.
I guess my question centers around two points.

* in WA CPL only covers pistols, not any firearm. Tac14 is not a pistol.
* I believe a concealed weapon generally provides the best security. If a firearm is displayed, it can be more easily taken. You lose the element of surprise.

A standard Rac14 with the birdshead grip, is a small package that could be easily covered and ready fore use. But I dont like running afoul of the law.

I've checked the laws and every place they refer to concealed, it's referring to "pistols". And every place the law refers to "loaded" they are referring to "in vehicles".

And there ARE places a loaded "anything" is legal. Like in your home, in a tent when camping. So if there are places where you can keep loaded rifles, shotguns, firearms, non-pistols, concealed, where is that line between legal and illegal?

The best I can come up with is only pistols can be conceal carried (loaded or not). And anything can be concealed, if unloaded.

Last Edited:
I guess my question centers around two points.

* in WA CPL only covers pistols, not any firearm. Tac14 is not a pistol.
* I believe a concealed weapon generally provides the best security. If a firearm is displayed, it can be more easily taken. You lose the element of surprise.

A standard Rac14 with the birdshead grip, is a small package that could be easily covered and ready fore use. But I dont like running afoul of the law.

I've checked the laws and every place they refer to concealed, it's referring to "pistols". And every place the law refers to "loaded" they are referring to "in vehicles".

And there ARE places a loaded "anything" is legal. Like in your home, in a tent when camping. So if there are places where you can keep loaded rifles, shotguns, firearms, non-pistols, concealed, where is that line between legal and illegal?

The best I can come up with is only pistols can be conceal carried (loaded or not). And anything can be concealed, if unloaded.

I pretty much agree.

I have two Shockwaves, one with a brace (and Marinecote), the other without. The one with a brace is for home defense, the other one I will put in my daily driver, secured with a trigger lock (just in case - as some might not consider that to be a separate locked compartment) and unloaded, in a hidden compartment under the cargo area, along with ammo.

Once the county offices open up again, I am going thru the process of getting my CHL so I can also have a loaded handgun in the vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top