JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it bragging to tell you's guys about a couple guns I have on the way?

One is a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultra light. But the only thing left of the Weartherby is the receiver and bolt. And even they are no unmolested. The receiver was salt bath nitrided and the bolt was ceracoated. With the Timney trigger it weighs about 26 ounces. The other came from my gunsmith changing his mind about chambering the Mark V.

I purchased a titanium action, but the bolt is stainless. It weighs 20 ounces before its Timney trigger. was installed. The barrel started life as a McGowen but was turned down by Chrsitensen Arms and carbon wrapped. The stock started life as a conversation between Lisa, at MPI in Portland, Oregon, and me. I wanted the lightest thing they could make and then add the Weatherby cheek piece shape.

I hope to have them in my hand this week.:)

Good morning, guys.

Since you asked.....:)

The Weatherby is a 6.5mm wildcat based on a blown out 9.3X64 which has a nominal head diameter of .500". The reamer uses the Weatherby radii because I like the look. Since the 26" 8 twist Pac-Nor barrel and Mark V receiver are so small in diameter I couldn't use a belted case to get the performance of the .264 Win Mag that I want. This case matches the capacity of the .264WM. Based on the parts' combined weight, the rifle should weigh five pounds nine ounces. I am hoping for 3,750 per second with a G.S.Custom HV106.

The Timney trigger brings the weight of the Pierce action to 22.5 ounces. It is a Remington 700 clone so I went with a 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum necked to 6.5 with the shoulder pushed back to match the .338 RUM producing a .350" neck . I want a long neck to increase barrel life. Loney, at Hornady, did extensive research and discovered barrel life is significantly increased when longer necks are used. This rifle also has an 8" twist. I didn't get to weigh the parts the funsmith is using for the magazine box so I am guessing six ounces for that and the pillar bedding. I hope the rifle comes in at five pounds twelve ounces.

Normally I use Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts (5 ounces), but both these rifle will have Talley light weights (2.5 ounces).

Here's the sad part. I'm old. But now I can afford the stuff I wanted when I was young. And I still I like to hike with a light rifle.

Today three brand new .338 RUM cases arrive from one of our .com fiends in Portland. I managed to crush one because I'm such a good wildcatter, but the other two came out O.K. One was crinkled pretty bad, but a dose of RL22 behind a 129 grain Hornady straighten it right out. They, along with a chamber cast from son John's rifle, will be in the mail to Hornady tomorrow if the Lord wills. Hornady is already making the form dies and now can make some loading dies.

Is it bragging to tell you's guys about a couple guns I have on the way?

One is a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultra light. But the only thing left of the Weartherby is the receiver and bolt. And even they are no unmolested. The receiver was salt bath nitrided and the bolt was ceracoated. With the Timney trigger it weighs about 26 ounces. The other came from my gunsmith changing his mind about chambering the Mark V.

I purchased a titanium action, but the bolt is stainless. It weighs 20 ounces before its Timney trigger. was installed. The barrel started life as a McGowen but was turned down by Chrsitensen Arms and carbon wrapped. The stock started life as a conversation between Lisa, at MPI in Portland, Oregon, and me. I wanted the lightest thing they could make and then add the Weatherby cheek piece shape.

I hope to have them in my hand this week.:)

Here are a couple photos of the .65SLR and the 6.5RUMLN. The 6.5SLR is beside its parent case, a 9.3X64 Brenenke. Its neck is .275" long. The 6.5RUMLN is beside its parent case, a 7RUM. Its neck is .350" long. Forming the 6.5RUMLN was very involved. The last step was to run it through the 7RUM full length die to make sure the shoulder was small enough to fit into my son-in-law's Savage. It's kinda a test bed for my custom. I'm still hoping to get either one of mine this week.

008_zpsdgkhji4i.jpg

001_zpswgmxqubo.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews