JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The receiver is the "numbered/registered part" so just like with an AR15 you can/could assemble it yourself. Though it isn't so easy (to do properly) vs. with an AR15.

Not to mention tools. Just doing the barrel install is a whole process.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The receiver is the "numbered/registered part" so just like with an AR15 you can/could assemble it yourself (though it isn't so easy (to do properly) vs. with an AR15).

Not to mention tools. Just doing the barrel install is a whole process.

Aloha, Mark
Thanks Mark. I would definitely need to have a gunsmith connect a barrel since I have no tools and space for it. I might embark on an adventure building a Mauser and see how that turns out. I could use the one I just purchased through this forum as a template.

Its perfectly legal to build a firearm from scratch as well. Can't be full auto and them other restrictions unless you have the proper license. But to build a plain jane rifle or pistol from raw materials is legal. Once its completed there are some IDing requirements Who made it and some sort of serial number identifier I believe.

I have seen some beautiful reproductions of all sorts of firearms made from scratch as well as one off designs.

Provided you are perfectly legal to own a firearms....

You do not need to mark/ID it in any ways shape or form if you don't what to. Just like finishing an 80% project, there are no requirements to mark/ID it once finished.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) mandated, among other things, that persons "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms must be licensed by the federal government. (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(C).) This development made it illegal for an unlicensed person to make a firearm for sale or distribution. (18 U.S.C. § 923.) In addition, the law requires that firearms dealers must perform background checks on prospective purchasers and maintain records of all gun sales. (18 U.S.C § 922(t).)

However, nothing in the GCA prohibits individuals from making guns for their own personal use. A non-licensed person may make a firearm, provided it is not for sale and the maker is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms (such as a convicted felon). (18 U.S.C., Chapter 44; § 922 (d).) Federal law imposes none of the purchase restrictions on non-licensed possessors that it does on those who need licenses, and as a result, homemade guns need not be registered and the owner need not undergo a background check.

You can purchase receivers and bolts through the mail as long as it doesn't have a barrel installed, and most places ( SARCO) will not ship the barrel at the same time/same shipment! It's perfectly legal to ship right to your door, no paperwork no back ground check, no nothing!

You can purchase receivers and bolts through the mail as long as it doesn't have a barrel installed, and most places ( SARCO) will not ship the barrel at the same time/same shipment! It's perfectly legal to ship right to your door, no paperwork no back ground check, no nothing!
I checked Google and anything pre 1898 is considered antique when purchasing a complete weapon. Purchasing a Mauser action without barrel would be great since barrel removal is such a pain. Thanks for the reply.

eBay has most Mauser parts. I found on-line a complete schematic with all the parts for Gew 98 and K98 rifles and my rough estimates is that all the parts purchased separately would cost $1,000-$1,200 range. I would also have to pay a gunsmith to make barrel/receiver connection, and that is something that must be done by a pro. No way I would try that. I do not have neither tools nor space to do it, nor I have that type of skill.
For example, an original complete stock in excellent condition sells for upward of $200. Same for a bolt in excellent condition. One side of me wants to build one since I could be proud that I built my rifle, but another side is telling me just get a whole rifle rifle and pay $1,500-$2,000 and be done with it. I will see.

touching on the 1898 "antique" thing, I wonder if that can be overruled at the state level? I bought one of those cheap Carcano rifles a while back, had to go to an FFL but it's year of manufacture is 1894. FFL didn't charge me anything and I don't know if it went on my 4473 as I was buying another rifle there, anyway.

I had to idea there were places you could just buy Mauser bits. Might be fun to build one of those rather than another vanilla AR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top