JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My friend told me that someone told him that hunting in Oregon with a red dot scope is illegal. I don't believe it, but I figure I'd ask. I don't see in on the big game regulation anywhere. Please let me know asap. I'm going with my AR15 tomorrow for deer. Otherwise, I have to take my Savage 270.:huh:

But can you DiesilScout cite the reg that prevents it or are you tossing out opinions?

I am confused by this. I am saying for general season rifle it is legal. Under the prohibited methods section (page 27-28) use of infrared or nightvision is prohibited as is use of artificial light. The red dot could be seen as artificial light but the section goes on to say it "does not include battery operated sights which only light the reticle." So, red dot is legal. It wouldn't be legal for muzzle loaders where light gathering sights are illegal.

Sorry DieselScou dude, I wasn't reading things correctly.. I just had some brain surgery Wednesday, I reckon I am still not tracking right.

Jack - red dot in WA is legal. I just had this coversation down at the gun shop recently. DiesilScout covers it in his posting.

I have heard that it would be leagal you just cant use any light source to lights up the animal so no lasers or spot lights but I think red dots would be fine becuase it does not cast light on to the animal.

Quote from 2012 Oregon regulations: "Prohibited methods (page 28) It is unlawful to use an artificial light for hunting any wildlife except, raccoon, bobcat, and oppossum provided the light is not cast from or attached to a motor vehicle. This includes laser sights or any other sights wich project a beam to the target. This does not include battery operated sights wich only light the reticle."

You are good to use your red dot sight in Oregon.

The regs ARENT that hard to follow. Yes your red dot is legal. Contrary to popular (hunters) beliefs, silences are also legal. 223/556 IS legal for deer IN OREGON....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top