JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is ‘hunter orange’ requirement responsible for accidents?

Washington State has had in recent memory three fairly high-profile hunting-related fatalities in which the victims were all non-hunters, and were killed by people who thought they were shooting at game.

In two of those cases, the hunters thought they were shooting at black bears and in the third case, the hunter believed he fired at an elk.

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

glassing you

Ugh, why do people DO that, just bring some bubbleguming binocs. bubbleguming rednecks.
upl_67-1018424513_why_we_cant_have_nice_things.jpg

i think the stupification of america has much more to do with it then the orange does. If we were allowed to hunt stupid people and stop them from overpopulating the world we'd be much better off.

I'm just getting into hunting. This will be my third season for deer and I have not had an opportunity to fire a shot. Feel free to correct my ignorance but shouldn't it be blatantly obvious during general season deer and elk. No antler no shoot. Blackbear and cow hunts it would be less obvious but come on. If you can mistake your target I assume you don't have a clear enough view to know what is beyond your target. Is a couple hundred pound of meat and the thrill of the kill really worth a risky/chance shot? :confused:

I'm just getting into hunting. This will be my third season for deer and I have not had an opportunity to fire a shot. Feel free to correct my ignorance but shouldn't it be blatantly obvious during general season deer and elk. No antler no shoot. Blackbear and cow hunts it would be less obvious but come on. If you can mistake your target I assume you don't have a clear enough view to know what is beyond your target. Is a couple hundred pound of meat and the thrill of the kill really worth a risky/chance shot? :confused:

the answer will come as a shock to you, being new and being somebody who probably plays by the rules: a LOT of hunters literally shoot at anything that moves.

they're poachers. they'll shoot doe, buck, multiple buck, bear, coon, yote- doesn't matter. they just shoot bubblegum. and they're probably drunk.

last season, i found a pretty incredible spot on a mountain top that overlooked three sides of the moutain, which was all overgrown clearcut full of berries and roots and bedding. i had about about a 200 degree sector of fire, 180m to the treeline on the close edge and about 400m to the treeline on the farthest edge, with babbling brook as the boundary. it was also the highest elevation for a few miles, so i could clearly see every other mountain around me, and all the roads. unfortunately, i was hunting in a new area, and was unaware of how bad the poaching problem is around here- i personally witness a straight up honest to goodness poach from my binocs about 500m away on the next mountain, and could see a minimum of a half a dozen other redneck POSs driving around with their muzzles poking out of their truck windows.

i'm going back to the willamette natl forest this year.

its people too lazy to spend a couple seconds identifying their targets and getting too amped up to care. I think it is only going to become a much bigger problem as more people are out in the woods with guns. I can tell you that inside 200yds its not hard to figure out what the heck you are shooting at. If its beyond that and your glass can't help you identify it, you have no business shooting it. Frankly I think there should be some seriously harsh punishment for people that shoot someone while hunting and mistaking them for something else. Total BS. If you can't properly identify your target you have no business shooting it.

This is the main reason why I bought horses. I want to go where it's steep, deep, and remote. Less shoe-clerks out for a Saturday road-hunt that way.

I went thru hunter safety be for it was required and have always worn something "bright" while in the field hunting big game with guns. However, It is a choice that should remain for those who play the game.

I have heard of people in eastern states who were shot with arrows wearing the required garments. Don't know how true that is but really don't care. It is the responsibility of the one doing the shooting to make sure of his target. If he doesn't, hang his azz to a pole when he hurts another hunter.

Make sure of your target. Brush shots are for idiots that don't belong in the field.

I totally agree, but, making sure of your target is just as important. Don't aim (or point) a gun at anything you don't intend to kill. Easy rule.

I seriously doubt that anyone with a sense of safety could ignore this rule.

If I have to wear orange, the game animal must wear neon yellow, or no deal!

i dont wear orange. i simply don't move between sun up and sun down. or if i do, i do it well off the beaten bath, through the bush, where rednecks cant take potshots from their trucks.

id really rather not be seen at all.. i do NOT trust these guys to not shoot me simply because their "deer" happens to be wearing blaze tape.

I don't think I have ever seen l"egislating free will" or "save people from stupid people" as topics in the Constitution. Therefore, I say no, no mandatory hunter orange. On a personal note, I usually do not wear hunter orange when hunting big game, but I do so when hunting birds. As for my kids, I make them wear orange and when they turn 18, they get a choice, while I am responsible for them, they can wear orange, once they are responsible for themselves, they can make their own decision.

i think the stupification of america has much more to do with it then the orange does. If we were allowed to hunt stupid people and stop them from overpopulating the world we'd be much better off.

This,,,

its people too lazy to spend a couple seconds identifying their targets and getting too amped up to care. I think it is only going to become a much bigger problem as more people are out in the woods with guns. I can tell you that inside 200yds its not hard to figure out what the heck you are shooting at. If its beyond that and your glass can't help you identify it, you have no business shooting it. Frankly I think there should be some seriously harsh punishment for people that shoot someone while hunting and mistaking them for something else. Total BS. If you can't properly identify your target you have no business shooting it.

And this,,,

You buy a tag, that is for a specific species of animal, a specific sex of that animal as well. So proper identification is a must. These idiots shooting at movement, should be prosecuted.

I don't wear orange and won't wear orange.

Every activity under the sun, has a small percentage of morons that ruin it for everyone. :(

indeed- and we really do need to remember that hunting is still pretty damn low-risk, compared to a lot of other activities we engage in on a daily basis... like driving.

almost 200,000 people will be hunting deer this season in this state. out of those 200,000, how many are gonna get shot? very slim chances.

be alert, take pecautions, but dont be overly paranoid.

Great topic. I grew up in the Midwest, Wisconsin, where deer hunting is more important than many things and the entire state literally stops functioning for the 9 day gun season over Thanksgiving week. Because of the short hunting season the woods are crammed with all sorts - good hunters and the idiots too.

There, Orange was required. I never questioned the value and to this day still don't. I've heard too many rounds go through trees over my head - not that I was the target, but that other hunters could be that close. I'm what we always called a "sneak" hunter. I go into the thickest stuff and find animals and I won't be real visible if not wearing orange.

When I moved to Montana I continued to wear orange although you rarely ever saw a hunter more than 20 yards from his pickup truck and case of beer.

On four different occasions, wearing orange, I was close enough to touch a deer with my hand. Orange does not benefit them seeing you.

So, if orange keeps an idiot from putting crosshairs or sights on me, why wouldn't I wear it? Well meaning people can do things that are "accidental" and I'd prefer to do what I can to not be the "accident".

Even if orange is not required, I wear it, except when duck hunting. I even wear it when pheasant hunting (remember Cheney's accident?) Common sense and experience would dictate that you never lift a gun on anything but legal quarry. Unfortunately, sense is anything but common and there are way too many rookies out there for me to take a chance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top