Is FFL necessary or beneficial for custom holster makers for interstate transactions?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by County Holster, Feb 7, 2014.

  1. County Holster

    County Holster
    713 Nebraska St. Eugene, OR 97402
    New Member

    Likes Received:
    I am a custom holster maker in Eugene, Oregon. I've been called by owners in a couple other states who would like to send me their handguns for holster fitting to the piece. Also have had requests for specialty holsters that can handle a suppressor. I understand I would need an FFL to be able to handle these interests. I would simply have the sidearm for minimal time for the forming, then ship it/them back. No repair, or adjustments to the gun. No selling or buying. Any comments? Thanks, John - County Holster & Leather, LLC

    Kimber Stainless Pro Carry .45 003.jpg
  2. billdeserthills

    Cave Creek, Arizony
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    I would say to skip the FFL, as I suspect most of the guns can be purchased in plastic model form and I believe most holster makers actually use the models, instead of the gun for holster-making purposes. Have you considered that you would be liable for any and all perceived damages to owner's firearms, were they to be put into your hands? Also if you want to handle suppressors you will need a different class of FFL, one that will cost more money. Unless you also plan to also sell or service class 3 weapons & accessories I would skip on losing your 4th amendment rights & getting an FFL. Just me talking, but I did have my own (01) FFL for 6 years. I will say that I had some fun with it, I was doing 3+ gun shows per month when I first got the FFL. I didn't make much money but undercutting the competition and trying to single-handedly affordably arm my state was worth most of the hassle & I mostly did it out of my hatred for the atf/gov't. Of course now that I lost all my guns in that boating accident I love my gov't.
    Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AMProducts

    Desert Southwest
    Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

    Likes Received:
    For what you're talking about doing, I would highly recommend the FFL, and I would also recommend insurance. I think the suppressors would be a sticky subject as they would have to transfer the suppressor to you, and then transfer it back, which for you isn't a big deal, however for them it would be a year wait to get it back. The FFL, for what you're doing should be cheap (~$50/year), if you're going to handle suppressors you will also need a special occupational tax paid ($500/yr), which is a major reason why I would not recommend handling it. For the FFL your options are 01 (dealer) but the one I would recommend is 07 (manufacturer) as this tends to give you wider lattitude on what you're doing.

    If you have a customer who wants a custom holster for their suppressor, go find a local machine shop and have them turn a "dummy" suppressor from bar stock, I'm sure you could trade your services for more than a few of these without too much issue, as making a dummy takes maybe 5-10 minutes.

    CYA and insurance are cheap, jail and lawyers are expensive. I've got the cash saved up to file my type 10 once I get the location thing figured out
  4. tiggers97

    United States
    Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Not a lawyer or gunsmith, but I think you may be able to avoid FFL's in regard to suppressors. Suppressor shapes are generally just a cylinder. I would think it is easily mimicked via a pipe of the same approximate dimensions.
  5. Velzey

    Estacada Gunsmith
    Büchsenmacher Bronze Vendor

    Likes Received:
    Yes you would need an FFL. Out of state, keeping it overnight, shipping via USPS, and cans.....Best to get an FFL, just for saving shipping costs.

    When you talk to the atf agent about getting your ffl, them him exactly what you say here.

Share This Page