JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I see something on CL that is too good to be true (like a tractor or welder for about 25% of what it should cost) I do an image search on it. If that doesn't work I do a search on CL using SearchTempest. About half the time I find it for sale by the actual seller, or I find multiple listings thousands of miles apart by the same seller or a different seller with the same price and description.

I have Armslist customers asking every week about a pistol I sold several months ago. I checked my account and there are no active listings. I guess this explains what happened.

Armslist is a SCAM, avoid like the plague. There's more scams than real people on that site and you can report it to them a thousands times - they won't pull the ads down.

I decided to list my Sig there as well, buyer seemed legit until today. He said since he was unavailable he was going to send his friend to pick it up for him, and put it in his name. I said no, if he wants it he can reschedule and pick it up himself. He said that he was actually going to buy the pistol for his friend originally, so just let his friend buy it. I said no again, and that now I wasn't going to sell to him at all. "Whatever. Thanks for your time, Boy Scout" was the final reply. 248 area code. Deleted the message thread and blocked the number, pulled ad from AL.

Armslist is the Craigslist of the gun world.

Pretty much true but I've had mainly good experiences with both. The trick is to weed out the flakes and scummers in the first contact. Lately, I've sold a number of guns where business contact started with Armslist. Lots more bargain hunters scouring Armlist than Gunbroker, for sure. A seller has to know his product and the most appropriate market for it.

a guy who said he could privately send the gun to my FFL via USPS

It is perfectly legal within federal law to ship a long gun through the US mail as a private individual to an FFL dealer in another state.

Never used Armslist. Sold a JM Marlin 1894 on Gunbroker a few years ago for a stupid amount of money to a lawyer in San Francisco. Bought a Remington R1 Limited on there last month for $499, when it had an MSRP of $1150. Was very happy with both transactions.

Now I'm considering selling a G35 to fund a future G23 and will probably go the Gunbroker route.

some of them are government spooks looking to meet their arrest quotas.

I've wondered about this a few times based on requests made of me to sell/ship a certain way. My experience with the FBI and army CID of decades ago tells me surveillance is an on-going thing and should never be discounted.

That is 100% totally legal to do with UPS and not USPS. It is just that some FFL's will not accept from a private party. My FFL has no problem with that and has done many transfers for me by the individual sending a gun to him. There is no legal reason preventing that.

This is true and the only thing more disconcerting to me are both FFL's and gun owners who are totally ignorant of the laws that regulate the exercise of their rights.

I have dealt with individuals and FFL's who are pig headed to the extreme on many of these points and it makes me sad. Especially when it concerns Antique firearms. I have went so far as to contact the regulatory branch of the ATF and get law quoted chapter and verse that Antiques are legal to transfer with no 4473 or NICS check with the exception of a couple of particularly draconian states such as New Jersey.

Still though gun owners cut their own noses off to spite their faces by refusing to educate themselves on the law.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top